• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Damn, went to spray the house and garage with termite killer and the backpack spray broke also. Wouldn't spray, leaking down my azz. Lost all the chemical and needed a shower. :lol2:

Now on compost piles as blacksmith posted, How are y'all managing them? You got sides? I've been looking for free 2x12's or cinder blocks, but nothing turning up yet. Tried pallets and two years and they are falling over. Mine is just a big loose pile now fermenting my buck heads. Now that the pallets failed and needed to be burnt.

GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    Now on compost piles as blacksmith posted, How are y'all managing them?
    I made a 2 barrel compost system a couple of years ago. I wish I could tell you that I'm religiously out there turning it every day, but I'm not. It does seem to turn to compost much quicker, but there's never any worms in it and really not all that much insect life. There could be lots of microbe life in there, but I've never looked.
    compostRoller.jpg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I made a 2 barrel compost system a couple of years ago. I wish I could tell you that I'm religiously out there turning it every day, but I'm not. It does seem to turn to compost much quicker, but there's never any worms in it and really not all that much insect life. There could be lots of microbe life in there, but I've never looked.
    View attachment 468484

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I am trying to stay heritage. My main test this year is growing to really feed us, not supplement. Trying corn with beans growing on them to see if the production is better. I get crap corn without fertilizer.

Trying yellow dent also as field corn seems to be more stable and stronger stalked. Want to see if the sweet corn falls over supporting beans and yellow dent does good. I got a mixture of rows and hills to compare

I grew silver queen last year and it lacked flavor. Assuming nutrient deficient. But my Daughter said NEVER grow it again! Incredible variety had awesome flavor, but lacked in production, as all corn has. I may try it again unless one of the impress me.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    The reason SQ went away was it's lack of bug resistance, smaller kernels, 40 extra days to grow, shelf life of 2-3 days before going bland, and other corns being sweeter.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Put in three long rows of yellow dent heritage corn. Supposed to be stronger stalk to see if beans grow better on it. The garden is so wet the dirt even clumped my my hillbilly shoes

Attachments

• IMG_2650.jpeg
      IMG_2650.jpeg
      1 MB · Views: 17

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    People say online seed potatoes shouldn’t be smaller than 2” and preferably bigger. These are 3/4” and aren’t even golf ball size. Cleaning and cultivating weeds and found them and dug and relocated to see how they produce. Small ones seed just fine

Attachments

• IMG_2678.jpeg
      IMG_2678.jpeg
      495.6 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_2680.jpeg
      IMG_2680.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 10
    • IMG_2679.jpeg
      IMG_2679.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts