• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Hey Megarms did you find a solution? I have a family room of 20x20 that needs carpet stretching in north east Montgomery county?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Hey Megarms did you find a solution? I have a family room of 20x20 that needs carpet stretching in north east Montgomery county?

Yes. Outrider referred me to an installer who uses a pole stretcher. It was evident that the contractor my builder hired to install the carpet was in a hurry and did not stretch anything. In my largest room (the basement), he cut about 3" of excess carpet out after stretching it. I will PM you his details.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yes. Outrider referred me to an installer who uses a pole stretcher. It was evident that the contractor my builder hired to install the carpet was in a hurry and did not stretch anything. In my largest room (the basement), he cut about 3" of excess carpet out after stretching it. I will PM you his details.
    This is where I see the value in paying to get things done right. In my neighborhood, if I ever needed carpet, I would have turned to one man. His name was Don. Hard to believe that this 70 something year old man who was all of 5'5 or so, and 140 lbs could hump huge rolls of carpet, lay em out, glue em together and stretch em perfectly etc.

He had installed carpet likely longer than I had been alive by the time I met him. Unfortunately, on the one carpet job I ever had to sub out in Pa, I had to call a carpet retailer to ask for recommendations on an installer in Hanover Pa. They gave me a good older guy too. He and I talked and in his years of work in carpet, he knew and worked with Don before, IIRC.

Similar thing happened with a plasterer. Same job had a swirl textured ceiling and plaster not drywall. When I cut into the ceiling/roof, to install a dormer of course this altered the ceiling finish to where I needed an old school plasterer.

It has been maybe 20 years since I did that job, so now I even wonder if either guy is still at it.

Another type sub that I find good to hire are Hardwood flooring, Stairway/Railing guys. Not that new installs are above my pay grade, but a refinish or fancy pattern type floor job takes a lot of manpower, cleanliness, experience with finishes etc.
    Having seen the work of some of our craftsman in this area, leaves me humbled. You know who you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom