• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I got M dies for 30-06 and 30-30 and my honest opinion, I like the Lee Universal better. It makes a much milder flare on the case mouth and can be used for most rifle cartridge's. M dies are cartridge specific. I have also made cases look like a trumpet with and M die that was adjusted too heavily. Probably a bit hard on the brass also. Most people are not going to have a universal expander as using Boat tail bullets, you don't need it. I have one because I cast.

I used the Lee universal and it fixed the crimp edge on the fired cases. It did not help the Hornady 30-06 as much, only a little. The neck on it is still very tight. Just an ever slight kiss with it. 6.8 I barely touched it. 30-06 I have to use a very slight force twice to get it right.

If anyone else is trying this, this is what I would recommend. Buy the drill and tap and plan on getting a lee universal expanding die. Check 10 or more fire cases and use ones that slide the bullet easily.

Found the drill and tap cheap on amazon https://amzn.to/3yh7594

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I got M dies for 30-06 and 30-30 and my honest opinion, I like the Lee Universal better. It makes a much milder flare on the case mouth and can be used for most rifle cartridge's. M dies are cartridge specific. I have also made cases look like a trumpet with and M die that was adjusted too heavily. Probably a bit hard on the brass also. Most people are not going to have a universal expander as using Boat tail bullets, you don't need it. I have one because I cast.

I used the Lee universal and it fixed the crimp edge on the fired cases. It did not help the Hornady 30-06 as much, only a little. The neck on it is still very tight. Just an ever slight kiss with it. 6.8 I barely touched it. 30-06 I have to use a very slight force twice to get it right.

If anyone else is trying this, this is what I would recommend. Buy the drill and tap and plan on getting a lee universal expanding die. Check 10 or more fire cases and use ones that slide the bullet easily.

Found the drill and tap cheap on amazon https://amzn.to/3yh7594
    The use case for M dies for me is in dillon 650 heads dedicated to case prep operations. 223 for me and 308 for my buddy's belt feds. They never need adjustment as they are final step in the head after dillon sizer trimmer.

Sounds like the 3006 necks have become hard.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    They will get their trip in front of the propane flame in due time.

Edit, wait, Belt feds? This needs to be used hog hunting!!
    I anneal anything I care about every time anymore. Saves me changing bushings to keep same neck tension.

Yes. Lots of belt feds. If you have hogs, he will wipe em out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom