What IS the definition of "assault weapon", officially?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    Not a good idea. You don't need to read every comment, but you need to read enough of the thread to realize that origin of the "assault weapon" definition is only a small piece of what we're debating in here.
    Doesn't really matter if it's only a small part of the debate. It is the part that I chose to comment on.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Surprised to see this crapfest still eating bandwidth.

Thank you for your continued incisive observations. The intellectual rigor you have demonstrated is very impressive, about on par with everyone on this topic whose contributions have been along the lines of, "An assault weapon is anything used to assault someone."

Why do you guys keep feeding the troll?

I'm not a troll just because you say I am. I've made it quite clear where I am coming from (too many times now).

Boats' behavior is far more trolling than anything I've said/done here, no matter how many Logic 101 fallacy accusations he throws out to offer his debate tactics the veneer of legitimacy.

My last reply to him was over a month ago. It was not I who restarted this abortion, even though I was recently quoted.

I'm just trolling the troll... :innocent6:

Your real agenda, as we've seen repeatedly (in this topic and others), is to maintain the ideological orthodoxy.

Last edited:

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    And you've taken it upon yourself to pull down that orthodoxy?

This debate/trollfest (on the part of Boats) started out as my response to an article that made a point that I agreed with.

Anyway, I could ask you the same question: You've taken it upon yourself to try and suppress information that you feel hurts your cause, in order to preserve orthodoxy? I've seen you do that repeatedly now, so I could just as well ask: Who appointed you to police this forum? Do you hold moderator status?

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    This debate/trollfest (on the part of Boats) started out as my response to an article that made a point that I agreed with.

Anyway, I could ask you the same question: You've taken it upon yourself to try and suppress information that you feel hurts your cause, in order to preserve orthodoxy? I've seen you do that repeatedly now, so I could just as well ask: Who appointed you to police this forum? Do you hold moderator status?
    Don't stop there!

You have a habit of confusing opinion with fact. Am I opinionated? Yes. Do I argue others opinions incessantly? NO.

Why are you here? Why do the majority of you contributions here devolve into running arguments?

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Why are you here? Why do the majority of you contributions here devolve into running arguments?

I'm here to post my opinions about firearms and learn more about MD's ridiculous laws, same as anyone else. I know that you think you're cleverly posing a rhetorical question, but saying that the "majority" of my contributions here are running arguments is a much better example of what your buddy Boats would probably call an "appeal to anecdotal evidence" fallacy. So far, I've been a part of three running arguments that I recall:

- This topic (obviously)
    - A topic on running non-HBAR AR-15 uppers on post-2013 AR lowers, which triggered a certain member who brags about his amazing hair - he chided me for not being willing to break the law. (Or, his reading comprehension sucked and he thought we were discussing pre-2013 lowers - I haven't figured out which yet.)
    - The other HBAR barrel topic in the "Rifles" forum which you deemed to be a waste of bandwidth, and where you tried to shame us for discussing nuances of MSP's interpretation of the law. That's one which became a running argument due to your criticism (though yes, I partook in it).

I also feel the need to point out that I've observed quite a few other users here who seem to partake in flame wars and trolling on a fairly regular basis (or, just toxic behavior in general). Seems to be fairly common on this forum, and also a lot of other 2A forums I've visited over the years.

You have a habit of confusing opinion with fact. Am I opinionated? Yes. Do I argue others opinions incessantly? NO.

As I already told Boats: Yes, I base my opinions on my experiences. Pretty sure that's how life works. I certainly try to avoid confirmation bias by seeking out factual evidence that is tested/observed by others.

It is certainly a subjective statement on my part to observe that I find my Steyr SPP to be a more controllable weapon in rapid-fire when compared to my Glocks. However, it is a perfectly objective statement to note that an SPP has mechanical differences that are designed to reduce felt recoil impulse that are found on submachine guns, but not Glocks or any common semi-automatic pistols with short recoil operations.

My experience in dealing with you is that your opinions tend to be critiques of others' posts/topics and issuing judgments where you act holier-than-thou and deem them to be unsuitable for this forum. To me, that seems like trolling behavior - I have trouble imagining that you're not aware that you're asking for a fight. But I'll stop short of saying that the "majority" of your contributions are characterized by this behavior. What has become evident to me, as I've said previously, is that you feel the need to suppress information that you feel hurts our cause.

Last edited:

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    I'm here to post my opinions about firearms and learn more about MD's ridiculous laws, same as anyone else. I know that you think you're cleverly posing a rhetorical question, but saying that the "majority" of my contributions here are running arguments is a much better example of what your buddy Boats would probably call an "appeal to anecdotal evidence" fallacy. So far, I've been a part of three running arguments that I recall:

- This topic (obviously)
    - A topic on running non-HBAR AR-15 uppers on post-2013 AR lowers, which triggered a certain member who brags about his amazing hair - he chided me for not being willing to break the law. (Or, his reading comprehension sucked and he thought we were discussing pre-2013 lowers - I haven't figured out which yet.)
    - The other HBAR barrel topic in the "Rifles" forum which you deemed to be a waste of bandwidth, and where you tried to shame us for discussing nuances of MSP's interpretation of the law. That's one which became a running argument due to your criticism (though yes, I partook in it).

I also feel the need to point out that I've observed quite a few other users here who seem to partake in flame wars and trolling on a fairly regular basis (or, just toxic behavior in general). Seems to be fairly common on this forum, and also a lot of other 2A forums I've visited over the years.

As I already told Boats: Yes, I base my opinions on my experiences. Pretty sure that's how life works. I certainly try to avoid confirmation bias by seeking out factual evidence that is tested/observed by others.

It is certainly a subjective statement on my part to observe that I find my Steyr SPP to be a more controllable weapon in rapid-fire when compared to my Glocks. However, it is a perfectly objective statement to note that an SPP has mechanical differences that are designed to reduce felt recoil impulse that are found on submachine guns, but not Glocks or any common semi-automatic pistols with short recoil operations.

My experience in dealing with you is that your opinions tend to be critiques of others' posts/topics and issuing judgments where you act holier-than-thou and deem them to be unsuitable for this forum. To me, that seems like trolling behavior - I have trouble imagining that you're not aware that you're asking for a fight. But I'll stop short of saying that the "majority" of your contributions are characterized by this behavior. What has become evident to me, as I've said previously, is that you feel the need to suppress information that you feel hurts our cause.
    Well bless your heart. :)

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Wow, congrats, you've demonstrated that you know how to Google the syllabus of a Logic 101 course. How ironic that you've also exhibited nearly all of the same fallacies that you've accused me of employing.

Anyway, at this point, I'm done with this shit. Welcome to my Ignore list.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's May 6th, 2024 and "Assault weapon" is still a purposely nebulous and "scary sounding" term used by antigunners for the purpose of banning any gun they can get away with banning. It still has no definition, by design, and can include anything an antigun politician wants it to include

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom