• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I did a search and I couldn't find any threads that particularly covered this.
    I'm still new to 1911's and today I just saw a Springfield 1911A1 in Good Cond and a great price. The thing is I don't know a thing about them other then the frame is made in South America (Brazil) and I can't understand why Springfield has to import their guns like the XD from Croatia??? I held off on putting it on layaway (Because Layaway is evil :evilgrin3) with the hopes of doing further research.

Alot of shooters talk about whats the most economical 1911 and it appears that RIA and other 1911's made in the Philippines are in that category (Metro Arms, Shooters Arms and Armscor).

My question is....excluding imports from the Asia and S. America and excluding the HIGH END 1911s like Ed Brown & Les Baer.....What STOCK 1911's are the best for the $$$??? 1911 shooters have recommended S&W and if this was a S&W at the price I saw today I would have jumped on it.

Please RATE your TOP 5 or 10 Stock 1911's!!

Please RATE your TOP 5 WORSE 1911s!!! Some have not recommended Kimber or SIG....this is the stuff I want to know when shopping for a 1911

(BTW....my internet is down so I won't be able to respond until Verizon is back up but I look forward to your feedback)

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I think you get the MOST bang for your dollar with a Les Baer,Browns are finished better and wilson and nighthawk have a great rep also. I personally only have experience with Baer and series 70 colts.

Colts -S&W and ruger and Kimber are all US made and are all equal in my book
    Than there is the Philippines pistols and they are in a whole other class witch I know nothing at all about.
    Para I have shoot a few and they always seem to find there way to the gun smith for a upgrade .

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I think you get the MOST bang for your dollar with a Les Baer,Browns are finished better and wilson and nighthawk have a great rep also. I personally only have experience with Baer and series 70 colts.

Colts -S&W and ruger and Kimber are all US made and are all equal in my book
    Than there is the Philippines pistols and they are in a whole other class witch I know nothing at all about.
    Para I have shoot a few and they always seem to find there way to the gun smith for a upgrade .

Thank you!!! I was hoping you'd reply I know you have vast experiences in 1911's and valued your opinion. I'm thinking I just just STFU and buy at Colt

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Please RATE your TOP 5 or 10 Stock 1911's!

Budget based (Under 1K #1 best, #5 least best)

#1 Smith and Wesson 1911 (Some models are more expensive)
    #2 Ruger 1911
    #3 American Classic 1911
    #4 Taurus 1911
    #5 RIA Tactical 1911

Dan Wessons and STI's are also nice but are over 1K most of the time. I consider an STI more of a race geared gun.

Best will be a full costom job and exceed 3K. For production units that are the best I suggest Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Les Baer.

Best base gun that holds its value and is an outstanding custom base gun is a Colt. Norincos are a good build base too but dont retain their value.

I have far too little expreience with the Current Remington 1911's to make any comments.

Please RATE your TOP 5 WORSE 1911s!!! Some have not recommended Kimber or SIG....this is the stuff I want to know when shopping for a 1911

(No Particular Order)
    Para-Ord
    Kimber
    Springfield Armory
    SIG
    Caspian

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Budget based (Under 1K #1 best, #5 least best)

I have far too little expreience with the Current Remington 1911's to make any comments.

(No Particular Order)
    Para-Ord
    Kimber
    Springfield Armory
    SIG
    Caspian

I DEFINITELY WANTED TO KNOW THIS!!!!! THANKS I was looking at a Para and SA and glad I passed on them. thank Budha!! :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Really? A Taurus over a RIA Tactical?

Yup, better fit and finish. Both hold about the same accuracy standards but the Taurus has the gay hamer lock so it will cost more to upgrade the Taurus with a better Trigger/FCG than the RIA would cost with a replacement Triger/FCG.

Both are great guns though for the price. I still see some for problems but overall a fantastic value.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Yup, better fit and finish. Both hold about the same accuracy standards but the Taurus has the gay hamer lock so it will cost more to upgrade the Taurus with a better Trigger/FCG than the RIA would cost with a replacement Triger/FCG.

Both are great guns though for the price. I still see some for problems but overall a fantastic value.

Whats the Deal with RIA???

One of the guys from the Group buy is having problems with his and its not the first time I've heard a problem.

BTW you rock Chad!!!! (gay or not :innocent0)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Whats the Deal with RIA???

One of the guys from the Group buy is having problems with his and its not the first time I've heard a problem.

BTW you rock Chad!!!! (gay or not :innocent0)

I offered to help but heard nothing back. I have no affiliation with the group buy either.

I couldnt say without seeing it, but most are jus a throat and ramp job and an extractor tuning at best. The one post sounded like something was seriously wrong like a bad barrel or link.

The older pre 2005 RIA are complete JUNK, but the group buy ones are current builds and are nice guns.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    If you are building from scratch, Caspian makes a decent frame, pricey though. I have two Springfield 1911's the RO, and the TRP. Both are Fine pistols. Never had an issue with either. Hope that helps you a little.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I would not spend my money on a ria, norinco or a tauras. Hell I remember when those junky norincos came around about 25 years ago and now there is RIA .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom