• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Got some time to work on the golf ball mortar today. got a lot done. now i need to work on the base. the oak piece under the mortar will be the base.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      85.2 KB · Views: 519
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 510
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 505

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I have seen these in operation. 10g of FF BP put the golf ball so far out into the Atlantic its impact was undetectable -- just gone (flat calm, no wind). I've had reports the range at that charge is 3,000 feet or better. 4g FF BP fired at about an 89 degree angle produced about 20 seconds of flight time, implying an apogee of ~1600 feet (s=1/2 x a x txt) and a sweet rip into the water on impact about 200 m out. The mortar I saw do this had a bore length of about 10" though, a little longer than yours. LOTS of fun!

definitely on the "buy one of these!" list!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have seen these in operation. 10g of FF BP put the golf ball so far out into the Atlantic its impact was undetectable -- just gone (flat calm, no wind). I've had reports the range at that charge is 3,000 feet or better. 4g FF BP fired at about an 89 degree angle produced about 20 seconds of flight time

I was about to say "no way", then I realized you were talking GRAMS, not grains! :D

epps- awesome project! Did it start out as one solid chunk of steel, or did you weld the trunnion on?

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I was about to say "no way", then I realized you were talking GRAMS, not grains! :D

epps- awesome project! Did it start out as one solid chunk of steel, or did you weld the trunnion on?

:lol2: sorry.

yeah, that many grains of BP would produce considerably less impressive results.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    It started as a 3'' round stock i turned in my lathe and welded the 1'' bar to it. Now i have to figure out to mack the bed for it. can't wait to shoot it!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've pondered the thought of buying a small .50 cal cannon. Just don't know anything about them, other than the basic loading/firing. My concerns are quality and construction of kit cannons. I'd be happy just to find a barrel.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Started on the Bed for the mortar. I need to make the hardware for the bed next like the straps and handles and finish the wood with boiled linseed oil.

Attachments

• SANY1041.jpg
      SANY1041.jpg
      69.5 KB · Views: 345
    • SANY1042.jpg
      SANY1042.jpg
      89.3 KB · Views: 340
    • SANY1043.jpg
      SANY1043.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 340
    • SANY1044.jpg
      SANY1044.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 345

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    The maker is on top 'me' the model # on the right and the lbs.7 on the left. the year on the bottom Rt. Inspector marks on the bottom left. me.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'd have to make it a Tacitcool Mortar for crazy Al. maybe with a rail and a pistol grip.

:rofl:

saw him last saturday at gunshow... he was looking for a replacement sights for his shiny 1911. busted out laughing when he said he cant see w/ them shiny sights.

the guy amazes me.. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom