• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Argument time and panel confirmation order. 15 minutes a side, standard.

Attachments

• Schrader.argumenttime.pdf
      53.2 KB · Views: 141

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Oral argument was held today in the D.C. Circuit. Argument time vastly exceeded 15 minutes per side. Gura was up for a good 30 minutes and gov. counsel was up well past her time. While the court did not appear to buy Gura's argument that 922(g) should be narrowly construed to exclude common law offenses categorically, at least two members of the panel appeared to be very uncomfortable with a holding that 922(g) could be constitutionally applied to Mr. Schrader specifically in his unique circumstances. They were looking at ways to avoid the constitutional holding, perhaps with a remand to the district court with instructions to apply 18 usc 925(c). However, that would require a judicial rewrite of 925(c), as it permits the district court to review a denial of a decision of the AG, not to conduct de novo proceedings in the absence of such an AG denial, and 925(c) has been defunded by Congress so the AG has no money to apply it. As Judge Tatel said to gov. counsel "assume that we have a major constitutional problem with applying 922(g) to Schrader personally so give us a way to avoid the constitutional issue" Gov. counsel declined the invitation (and honestly there does not appear any easy way to avoid the constitutional issue if the court does not rewrite the statute to avoid application to common law crimes). Bottom line prediction (don't hold me to it): 2-1 (Judges Tatel and Williams) for Schrader in *some* manner, if only a remand for a factual hearing. As Judge Tatel suggested: The Court may be forced to make a constitutional ruling that 922(g) "as applied" to Schrader is unconstitutional under the 2A.

Last edited:

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    Thanks for the feedback on the orals panel, esqappellate. With your permission, I would like to post your thoughts over at the Firing Line.

Just read the circuits orders on transcripts and audio of orals. The transcript, at $2.90 per page, puts it out of my means. According to the circuits website, audio of the oral argument will be made available only after the proceedings are completely closed. Shame that they figure this is "serving" the public (just my biased observation).

jrosenberger

Jan 19, 2011
    NH
    Do you know of case law in other contexts as to failure to act on a petition being construed as a denial? It seems this would be a common issue. I've seen it explicit in some statues (inaction beyond some timeframe is considered a denial), but I'm sure there are plenty of other contexts with similar problems to 925(c).

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback on the orals panel, esqappellate. With your permission, I would like to post your thoughts over at the Firing Line.

Just read the circuits orders on transcripts and audio of orals. The transcript, at $2.90 per page, puts it out of my means. According to the circuits website, audio of the oral argument will be made available only after the proceedings are completely closed. Shame that they figure this is "serving" the public (just my biased observation).

Sure, go ahead. I am not ordering this transcript either. I also wish the D.C. Circuit would change its process on oral arguments so as to make a tape fully available, but I am doubtful that will happen. Note that the SCT has already held that under 18 usc 925, the district court is limited to reviewing an administrative denial of a request for relief of the possession disability. See United States v. Bean, 537 U.S. 71, 123 S.Ct. 584 (2002) (holding that actual denial of relief from firearms disabilities was prerequisite to judicial review). Since 925(c) proceedings have been defunded there is no possibility of administrative proceedings and hence no right of action in district court under 925(c). The D.C. Circuit knows that. So, the possibility of an actual ruling on the 2A is quite real.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Do you know of case law in other contexts as to failure to act on a petition being construed as a denial? It seems this would be a common issue. I've seen it explicit in some statues (inaction beyond some timeframe is considered a denial), but I'm sure there are plenty of other contexts with similar problems to 925(c).

Precluded by 9-0 SCT precedent as to 925(c). See United States v. Bean, 537 U.S. 71, 123 S.Ct. 584 (2002) (holding that actual denial of relief from firearms disabilities was prerequisite to judicial review).

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    Thank you for the permission.

When you wrote, "that would require a judicial rewrite of 925(c), as it permits the district court to review a denial of a decision of the AG," that was my (nagging) second thought.

For those that are unaware, but interested in this decision, the Berkely Press has a 2003 article available for download (75pg PDF @ 2.4MB): http://law.bepress.com/expresso/eps/87/

ETA: The actual opinion (written by Justice Thomas) is availble from Cornell: http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/01-704.ZS.html

Last edited:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    That was before 2A was ruled to be an individual right.

True, but that doesn't make any difference to the rationale for the decision in Bean. Bean decided the scope of the statute as written and as the 9/0 decision suggests, it was dead on in its analysis as a matter of statutory construction. There is not a constitutional right to a 925(c) type of administrative hearing and Congress is free to dictate the scope of the district court's jurisdiction as it sees fit (viz., by restricting it to reviewing an administrative denial of a request to be relieved of the disability). It just means that the question of the constitutionality of 922(g)(1) "as applied" to Schrader cannot be avoided by requiring him to exhaust 925(c), as 925(c) is not available to him (because it has been defunded) and the district court does not have de novo original jurisdiction to entertain a suit without an administrative determination.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Rule 28j letter from plaintiff's counsel re oral argument questions. A response to Judge Randolph.

Attachments

• schrader28j.pdf
      150.9 KB · Views: 110

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Decision. Schrader loses. Court refuses to consider the as applied argument:

At several points in their briefs, plaintiffs appear to go beyond their argument that section 922(g)(1) is unconstitutional as applied to common-law misdemeanants as a class and claim that the statute is invalid as applied to Schrader specifically. Were this argument properly before us, Heller might well dictate a different outcome. According to the complaint’s allegations, Schrader’s offense occurred over forty years ago and involved only a fistfight. Second Am. Compl. ¶ 10. Schrader received no jail time, served honorably in Vietnam, and, except for a single traffic violation, has had no encounter with the law since then. Id. ¶¶ 11–12. To the extent that these allegations are true, we would hesitate to find Schrader outside the class of “law-abiding, responsible citizens” whose possession of firearms is, under Heller, protected by the Second Amendment. Heller, 554 U.S. at 635.

Attachments

• opinion.Schrader.pdf
      102.3 KB · Views: 93

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    How is this not Ex Post Facto where the penalty was not exclusionary when issued? They cannot go back and extend a sentence to the current mandatory minimum for a crime and sentence that occured years earlier.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The courts are batting a 1000, when it comes to dirty hands 2A civil suits.

If there is a wiff of a criminal complaint; intermediate scrutiny is applied, and the court washes their hands of it.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    How is this not Ex Post Facto where the penalty was not exclusionary when issued? They cannot go back and extend a sentence to the current mandatory minimum for a crime and sentence that occured years earlier.

Ex Post Facto applies only to criminal prosecutions. Firearms disability is not criminal.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    So, with no clear maximum sentence for his crime in 1968, they simply decided to deny him his right to own a firearm?

Would this work both ways? What if pot was legalized tomorrow? Would anyone in jail for consuming pot be immediately released? (I'm assuming there might be someone in jail for using pot.)

I need a road map to this country that's been dropped on me.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So, with no clear maximum sentence for his crime in 1968, they simply decided to deny him his right to own a firearm?

Would this work both ways? What if pot was legalized tomorrow? Would anyone in jail for consuming pot be immediately released? (I'm assuming there might be someone in jail for using pot.)

I need a road map to this country that's been dropped on me.

Ah, no you would stay in jail cuz it as a crime when you did it.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Get the hell outta here! If you're in jail and the crime you're serving time for is made a crime no longer, they DON'T let you out?

No sarc here. I'm truly amazed.

Well, I was being a bit facetious. It's actually more complicated. In your pot example, if the conviction is final and no longer appealable (you are sitting in jail serving your term) and the statute is repealed while you are in jail, you are basically stuck; your only possible remedy is a request for a pardon. See Rubio v. Estelle, 689 F.2d 533, 536 (5th Cir.1982) (“repeal of a statute does not repeal prior convictions based on violations of that statute when that statute was in effect”). See also 1 U.S.C. 109 ("The repeal of any statute shall not have the effect to release or extinguish any penalty, forfeiture, or liability incurred under such statute, unless the repealing Act shall so expressly provide, and such statute shall be treated as still remaining in force for the purpose of sustaining any proper action or prosecution for the enforcement of such penalty, forfeiture, or liability."). A slightly different rule obtains for criminal violations of a regulation. If the underlying statute remains in effect but the implementing regulations have been revoked after the arrest, then prosecution is still allowed for violations of the regulations while still in effect if the underlying statute authorizing the regulation has not been repealed. This happened in United States v. Masciandaro, 638 F.3d 458 (4th Cir. 2011), where the 4th Circuit sustained a federal conviction for bringing a gun into a National Park even though the regulation establishing the prohibition, 36 C.F.R. § 2.4(b), had been revoked after the arrest but prior to conviction.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So the panel is saying they should have made a facial challenge instead of an as-applied?

The opposite. He should have made an "as-applied-to him-personally" challenge, rather than a facial challenge to the constitutionality of 922 as applied to common law crimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom