• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Is it even legal to convert a BP to centerfire?

Yes, but if the frame is permanently converted then the frame is now a "handgun" under the GCA and you are under new laws if you try to sell it.
    Also it becomes a MD regulated firearm and the age restrictions, transport and transfer laws will now apply while it is in the converted configuration (if the barrel is less than 16" long, but the transport law still applies regardless of barrel length).
    If it is a drop-in cylinder with no alteration to the frame, the general consensus is that it can be converted back to "antique" status by putting the C&B cylinder back in, but some people disagree with this theory.
    With the drop-in cylinder in the gun, it is now a regulated firearm so if sold one would theoretically have to remove the cylinder or else have to sell it as a MD regulated firearm (if it has a barrell less that 16" long, but if the barrel is over 16" long, then I think the handgun roster law still applies).

I am not a lawyer.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Looking into buying a BP revolver and a conversion cylinder along with it. In the bit of research that I've done, the New Army .44s actually fire .45 LC with the conversion cylinder. Is this right?

These are the items that I'm considering:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/037084410005.html
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/633185102.html

I have the R&D conversion cylinder and I love it. I shoot .45 LC Cowboy Action loads. You cannot fire the full power modern loads out of the R&D cylinder, even in the Ruger IIRC.

If you have the money and can afford it, buy the Ruger because it is so well built.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I have the R&D conversion cylinder and I love it. I shoot .45 LC Cowboy Action loads. You cannot fire the full power modern loads out of the R&D cylinder, even in the Ruger IIRC.

If you have the money and can afford it, buy the Ruger because it is so well built.

You can shoot factory full-power .45 Long Colt loads in an R&D conversion cylinder, but you shouldn't, because while the cylinder can take it, the rest of the gun is still built for black powder loads. You'll find small parts start to wear badly and break after a few boxes. Follow the maker's instructions and shoot "cowboy loads" that are reduced to black powder pressure levels. +1 on getting a Ruger if you're not going for historical accuracy. Dang things are like the old Mopar slant six engines, you can't hurt them.

Last edited:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    You can shoot factory full-power .45 Long Colt loads in an R&D conversion cylinder, but you shouldn't, because while the cylinder can take it, the rest of the gun is still built for black powder loads. You'll find small parts start to wear badly and break after a few boxes. Follow the maker's instructions and shoot "cowboy loads" that are reduced to black powder pressure levels. +1 on getting a Ruger if you're not going for historical accuracy. Dang thngs are like the old Mopar slant six engines, you can't hurt them.

Not sure, but the back plate of the R&D cylinder might not be able to handle the full power loads over time either and that may be why I think they say not to use the full power loads in the Ruger cylinder either....but they might just be covering their asses legally by doing so and it is an over protection maybe.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    The whole R&D cylinder is 4140 steel, it'll take a lot of pressure. It's the steel in the rest of the gun that's not up to it, except the nearly indestructible Rugers. And yes, R&D is definitely covering their hindquarters with the warnings. Then again, if you only load black powder you can't overstress the gun, no way no how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom