• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    So, what's the story with cut receivers?

If I find, for example, a parts kit that comes with everything and the receiver has been cut, is it legal to reweld that receiver into its original configuration (or a semi-auto version, anyway)?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    So, what's the story with cut receivers?

If I find, for example, a parts kit that comes with everything and the receiver has been cut, is it legal to reweld that receiver into its original configuration (or a semi-auto version, anyway)?

Yes and no.

You can reweld a cut receiver but only after it has been first modified not to be able to accept parts to make it full auto. You cannot reweld it so that it can in any way accept the parts to go full auto.

Properly demilled receivers are considered scrap metal and rewelded receivers that have been properly demilled are considered new US parts. Receivers that were not properly demilled are still considered machine guns. So be careful and make sure you purchase one that was properly demilled.

Mark

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    This an example of what you asked. I had this kit rewelded to semi auto configuration.

012.jpg

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    With some guns, such as FALs, you can't use the cut receivers because ATF considered them a machine gun. They say "once a machine gun, always a machine gun." Some guns also were built to fire from an open bolt and ATF has a hard time allowing any open bolt gun to be made. Many of the replica machine guns or subguns are now made with a new receiver that can only fire from a closed bolt and in many cases the original parts don't work in the new receivers.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    My 1919 came from a kit but they only consider the right side plate as the receiver, I got an 80% and did her up. My Cetme/hk clone I did on a registered receiver as well as the AK in the middle of the last pic.

Some guns the ATF has a problem with you re welding (like the M14) but others like the MG42, Bren, and others are fine as long as you make the semi-auto modifications before you wield them up.

Last edited:

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    In particular I was looking at this (two or three items down), or at this.

Are these things worth doing, or would they end up costing enough by the end that the low initial cost is misleading?

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    Nice looking work!

MyGunsNorthWest did the reweld. That guy is an absolute artist with rewelds. He doesnt do any finishing, just building. Check out The AKForums to see many examples of his work. He has a backlog a mile long but keeps pumping them out. I waited 3 months..

It cost me $450 to get it done including shipping. The lightening cut was torched from the demill and that is a little extra to fix. I am very happy with it.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    With some guns, such as FALs, you can't use the cut receivers because ATF considered them a machine gun. They say "once a machine gun, always a machine gun." Some guns also were built to fire from an open bolt and ATF has a hard time allowing any open bolt gun to be made. Many of the replica machine guns or subguns are now made with a new receiver that can only fire from a closed bolt and in many cases the original parts don't work in the new receivers.

No offense, but Mikec, that's not true. If they are properly demilled they are considered scrap metal.

Please actually look this stuff up and don't just make stuff up:

ATF Rul. 2003–2

"An ATF-approved method of destruction for an FN FAL type machinegun
    receiver requires three diagonal torch cuts that sever or pass
    through the following areas: (1) the threaded portion of the receiver ring
    and magazine well opening at bottom, (2) the hinge pin, ejector block and
    bolt guide rails, and (3) the body locking lug and bolt guide rails. All cutting
    must be done with a cutting torch having a tip of sufficient size to displace
    at least ¼ inch of material at each location. Each cut must completely
    sever the receiver in the designated areas and must be done with
    a diagonal torch cut. Using a bandsaw or a cut-off wheel to destroy the
    receiver does not ensure destruction of the weapon."

Page 139 of ATF publication 5300-4.

Once a machine gun, always a machine gun ONLY applies to receivers that have NOT been properly demilled. If the gun was properly demilled the receiver sections are scrap metal and do not constitute machine gun parts. You are correct that the ATF, in general, will not approve the build of an open bolt weapon but has no policy letter creating a blanket prohibition to my knowledge.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom