• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Being that the price ranges and cartridge are similar, I'm trying to decide which is a better option for CC. Any thoughts?

Ruger LCP

ruger_lcp_1.jpg

Bersa 380 CC

thun380_CC_mid.jpg

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    The LCP is smaller if that's important to you. Both will be reliable for you.

The Bersa CC is a tad easier to shoot with less felt recoil. This is probably important for some as it will definitely affect how accurately a person shoots.

I have BIG hands so the Bersa CC fits me better (and I often carry a regular Bersa 380)

I don't recall the Ruger capacity (6 I think), but with either gun you're getting either 7+1 or less.

I know mags are expensive for the Bersa, and the Ruger mags are about $30 if you order them (includung shipping)

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Yeah, thumb safety. I don't like them for carry guns. That, and the ruger is easier to conceal. Is it the most fun gun in the world to shoot? No, but you can definitely get used to it. Capacity of the ruger is 6+1, unsure about that particular bersa.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For a primary, or backup gun, when you have room, definitely the Bersa. It has almost 3/4" more barrel, 2 more rounds, and can handle the very good Buffalo Bore 380+p HP defensive load(made better with a heavier recoil spring), where the LCP's manual expressley says to never use +p ammo. It could work in a pocket, and while I am no fan of thumb safetys, or DA/SA operation, the Bersa safety is not prone to engaging by accident when carried condition 2, safety off, hammer down. As long as you get a good one, it should be reliable, and accurate. Being blowback, the action is very simple, but can be snappy, altough a spring kit where you can choose a spring weight to match the load can help a great deal in most all blowback guns.

The LCP is a good backup, last ditch or deep concealment gun, that is carried either second to a larger pistol, or when nothing larger could be carried. It is difficult to shoot, difficult to load and rack, and the tiny barrel cuts a good bit of velocity, meaning that not only does it give up a lot of shootability to larger 380s, but the reduced velocity, inability to use +p ammo, and lower capacity really lowers it's firepower compared to the Bersa, and in a small pistol chambered in the marginal 380, this could be a big handicap if this is intended to be a carry gun. You are basically limited to FMJ if you want a load that penetrates reliably. Out of my LCP, few HP ammo expands at all, and those that do don't penetrate well at all, night and day from 380 I tested in my standard Bersa when I had it, most HP expanded, and some loads penetrated about the same as 9mm, most notably the Buffalo bore +p, although Golden Sabres weren't too bad either. The LCP is a 380 that can go where no other 380 can go, but for that it gives up a lot when absolute concealability is not required.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I own a Bersa 380 CC, have held an LCP, though never shot one (or any gun that small for that matter). For starters, the CC model comes standard with 8 round magazines, as opposed to 7 on the standard model. I have no idea why that would be, but it is. Two extra rounds compared to the LCP's 6 round magazine is a pretty big difference when you're not starting with very many to begin with, and I would think especially so when dealing with a relatively low-powered round like .380 ACP, which may require more than just one or two shots.

Now that my Bersa has broken in over a few hundred rounds, and I've learned to shoot it better, the recoil is very comfortable and controllable. Even with its almost-non-existent sights, I can do decent work at 30 feet. The trigger isn't the greatest, but it's not bad, and certainly much lighter and easier than the LCP's DAO trigger. Note though that the safety and decocker are integrated, so there is no option to carry cocked and locked. The hammer must always be down to be safe when carrying, but there's no reason you can't flip the safety on to decock, and then flip the safety off.

You sure can't get any more compact than the LCP, but I don't see the need for a gun that small unless you're talking about pocket carry, or maybe the weight savings would be worthwhile in an ankle holster. Either way, I think it's hardly a "primary" gun if you can ever afford to carry anything bigger than the tiniest pistol possible. The Bersa CC is super comfortable to carry, and won't print at all IWB. It also fits nicely in a jacket pocket, or any other "larger" pocket.

If you're looking for a true-pocket pistol, or if absolute concealment is your highest priority, then by all means, there seem to be plenty of really happy LCP owners out there. I believe there are some members here with CCWs that carry them because a visible/printing gun is a biiiiig no-no in MD, even with the permit (or at least will get you harassed by the police). If you just want something small and light that's easy to carry and forget about, there's no reason to go any smaller than the Bersa CC IMHO.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    looked at an LCR or sp101? not much more money and not many less shots in something very concealable and reliable. can always carry extra cartridges loose in your pocket for tactical reloads or on speed loaders. also heavier .38 +p(.357 in the sp101) have much more badguy-stopping ability than .380. just figured i'd toss it out there.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    looked at an LCR or sp101? not much more money and not many less shots in something very concealable and reliable. can always carry extra cartridges loose in your pocket for tactical reloads or on speed loaders. also heavier .38 +p(.357 in the sp101) have much more badguy-stopping ability than .380. just figured i'd toss it out there.

The LCR is also now available in .357

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    If you are going to consider the LCP you should also look at the Kel Tec P3AT. The LCP is a direct ripoff of the P3AT. I've had my KT for several years now and other than an initial hiccup when I bought it (covered by warranty) it has beel flawless ever since. You'll find the KT is cheaper and easier to find than the Ruger as well.

If the size is not the main issue, I'd take the Bersa over either because it's much easier to shoot comfortably and control. The LCP or P3AT will tear up your hands. But for pocket carry, nothing will come close to the P3AT or LCP

cad424

Apr 28, 2010
    Texas!
    I'm kinda intrigued by the Bersa myself. A gun shop down here has them on sale for $250 but I just don't know enough about them.

I have two P-3ATs and I've concluded that they'd be most effective by throwing the damn thing at somebody.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    A lot of great advice from everyone.

I have both, and both are very different guns, IMO. I enjoy shooting the Bersa, whereas the Ruger I only shoot to keep in practice because I have to. The Bersa has the DA/SA action, and the Ruger is DAO. The Bersa can be worn in a IWB holster and barely noticed (by you), or even a Fobus hoster will keep it from printing too much. The LCP is much smaller, and will go in a pocket holster and disappear in a pair of cargo shorts. The Bersa has a slightly longer barrel, and will increase the performance of the .380 round slightly. I also have the regular Bersa Thunder 380, and prefer it slightly to the CC. Sights are better, grip a little more full, barrel a tad longer. All have been completely reliable for me, 100%.

Hope this helps. Probably not though, just makes you want both!:)

MH

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Thanks for the input guys. I also have a regular Bersa 380, but it looks/feels a bit bulky for CC, especially in summertime. I'll cruise around to the usual suspect's establishments to check out both the Bersa CC and the Ruger LCP. As MD HUnter said, I'll probably just buy both :)

Medic49

Jul 11, 2010
    Thanks for the input guys. I also have a regular Bersa 380, but it looks/feels a bit bulky for CC, especially in summertime. I'll cruise around to the usual suspect's establishments to check out both the Bersa CC and the Ruger LCP. As MD HUnter said, I'll probably just buy both :)

I was wondering if you ended up getting the Bersa CC and what you thought of it compared to the regular-sized Thunder 380? I bought the Thunder a month or two ago (maybe 200 rounds through it) but am considering trading it in for the CC now that I've completed a non-resident class and am awaiting the permit.... Shop I got it from didn't have the CC in stock and I apparently failed to note it's exsistence prior to making the purchase....

For that matter, if there's anyone wanting to trade their CC for a full-sized version, give me a shout. I'll throw in an extra mag and a Fobus. :D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I carry an LCP daily, as I need a deep concealment gun. It is NOT a pleasure to shoot. It is a gun that you can carry anywhere, wearing anything (except maybe a speedo). If you are looking at a bigger gun like the Bersa and have a bigger budget, consider the Kahr in 9mm. A bit more punch in a small gun.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I was wondering if you ended up getting the Bersa CC and what you thought of it compared to the regular-sized Thunder 380? I bought the Thunder a month or two ago (maybe 200 rounds through it) but am considering trading it in for the CC now that I've completed a non-resident class and am awaiting the permit.... Shop I got it from didn't have the CC in stock and I apparently failed to note it's exsistence prior to making the purchase....

For that matter, if there's anyone wanting to trade their CC for a full-sized version, give me a shout. I'll throw in an extra mag and a Fobus. :D

Is the CC model THAT much smaller?
    I thought the only difference was that the CC model had thinner grips (and of course a different grip profile).

I have the Thunder .380 and I really don't find it to be all that "bulky".
    Though I do wish I could find thinner grips.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Is the CC model THAT much smaller?
    I thought the only difference was that the CC model had thinner grips (and of course a different grip profile).

I have the Thunder .380 and I really don't find it to be all that "bulky".
    Though I do wish I could find thinner grips.

No, it's not much smaller than the Thunder .380 (my wife's). The grips are thinner, the barrel is slightly shorter, and the edges are smoothed out. The tail is bobbed and the sights shaved, but the overall profile isn't much smaller than the Thunder. Strangely though, the CC has one more round capacity.

MH

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've only shot the Ruger LCP about 100 rounds (painful, not recommended for plinking or training), and never shot the Bersa 380 CC, but have shot it's bigger brother, for what that's worth.

If anyone is considering a .380, size does matter. Clearly the Ruger LCP has the advantage.

4733779679_a6101e0625.jpg

Never heard of at .380 +P till now, always thought that was a 9mm, and there are plenty good small guns chambered for 9mm.

This gentleman does a good job of explaining several guns on the lower end of size and fire-power.

http://www.f1movies.com/video/ztVgBX-1hXs/Pocket-Pistols.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom