• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    If you have passed the hunter safety course, I don't think you have to watch the video to purchase a regulated firearm in MD.

I think that is only true if the hunters safety course was taken in 2002 or later. I was forced to sit through the video last year even though I have a 1997 hunters safety certificate. But I really did learn a lot from watching the video :sarcasm:

But seriously, I think watching it is good for someone young or who has just purchased his/her firt firearm. But to make someone like me who has owned guns for the last 20 years watch it is just wasting my freaking time :envy:

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I think that is only true if the hunters safety course was taken in 2002 or later. I was forced to sit through the video last year even though I have a 1997 hunters safety certificate. But I really did learn a lot from watching the video :sarcasm:

But seriously, I think watching it is good for someone young or who has just purchased his/her firt firearm. But to make someone like me who has owned guns for the last 20 years watch it is just wasting my freaking time :envy:
    The Md Hunter Safety course if always under review, for needed updating. :thumbsup:

AK:
    In 1997, what was said about Crossbow hunting? :innocent0
    In 2007, Crossbow hunting is addressed as significant part of the Bow hunting chapter. :)

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    ..show the DD214, I suppose,... in lieu of the Maryland Handgun Safety Course completion certificate.

Can I just bring a picture of him with me the next time I buy a handgun? I'm sure someone took a picture of our illustrious admin at DelMarVa last weekend! Post copies on here so we can all bring our DD214 pictures to the dealer!

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Jim, I think AK was refering to watching the MSP Handgun video, not the hunter's safety course. I took my hunter's safety out at the rockville IWLA and thought it was great, as was the turkey clinic at meyerstation.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    An "antique" firearm is one manufactured on or before to 12/31/1898.

They are exempt from federal firearm regulations. Good luck buying one (in good condition) for less than a small fortune, though.

A "cap and ball" pistol, is an antique-STYLE black powder firearm (can be of modern manufacture) that must be loaded in the same fashion as antique guns. In other words, a measured powder charge is poured down the barrel, followed by a patch and a round lead ball, which is driven down the barrel with a ramrod. Cap & ball pistols can be fired either with percussion caps, which are individually placed on the percussion nipple, or with a flint lock (for pre-1930 era reproductions) which use flint & steel to produce a spark, to ignite a small amount of black powder in a "pan", which then touches off the powder in the chamber, making the pistol go BOOM! (well maybe half the time) :D

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    An "antique" firearm is one manufactured on or before to 12/31/1898.

They are exempt from federal firearm regulations. Good luck buying one (in good condition) for less than a small fortune, though.

Antique revolvers can be had cheap. "Hardware store" revolvers can be as low as fifty dollars in working condition, for a hundred dollars in good condition for a cheapo manufactured American Bulldog for instance, for a hundred dollars for a nice Iver Johnson and about $250 for a real nice Iver Johnson or a decent Smith and Wesson in .38 S&W.

The semi automatics are in the tens of thousands of dollars range and the large caliber revolvers start probably in the three to five hundred dollar range for a beat up one.

(note for Jack, the antiques made before 1899 can use commercially available cartridge ammunition and still be an antique)

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    I was all set to take the course but honorably discharged vets are exempt..show the DD214, I suppose, in lieu of the Maryland Handgun Safety Course completion certificate.
    I am pretty sure that all you need is your DD214. I dont think you need a hunter saftey course.

I know when I bought my first handgun all I needed was my DD214.

In fact when I asked about buying a gun from ON Target (not where I actually bought my gun) they said the reason you only need a DD214 is because the military presumably taught us how to shoot when we were in basic.

It is kind of funny because I was in the Air Force and they only let me shoot a M16.
    I bought a hangun and I had never shot one before I took it to the range that first time.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm unsticking this for now until the General Assembly session is over. Trying to clean up the stickies so that people can find relevant information and tools for the session.

MDsharpShooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 6, 2014
    old topic I know, but my question relates to it

I see this site doesnt work (mdgunsafety)
    Did it get renamed or anything?

If not, is there any other site where I could take a gun safety course ONLINE that can be used to quality for the handgun quality needed for a gun permit

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

If not, is there any other site where I could take a gun safety course ONLINE that can be used to quality for the handgun quality needed for a gun permit
    Welcome to MDS. Hop over to the introductions forum at some point and let us know who you are.

The HQL requires proof of firearms safety competency, which MSP has interpreted to require a single round of live ammunition fired safely from an actual firearm in the presence of an instructor. So, no, there is no site where you can take the course in a purely online fashion effective 01OCT2013.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

Yes, I will be posting about it within the next few days (very busy here at work.)

Welcome to MDS. Hop over to the introductions forum at some point and let us know who you are.

The HQL requires proof of firearms safety competency, which MSP has interpreted to require a single round of live ammunition fired safely from an actual firearm in the presence of an instructor. So, no, there is no site where you can take the course in a purely online fashion effective 01OCT2013.
    That's not completely correct. I have my HQL to prove it, actually. I have not seen anyone discuss my way of completing the HQL on the boards or in real life, but there is a way to do so if you are not otherwise exempt (ie. owning a regulated firearm.)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you already own a "regulated firearm", you do not have to take the new 4 hour training class.

You still have to be fingerprinted, and pay the $50 poll tax fee.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Yes, I will be posting about it within the next few days (very busy here at work.)

That's not completely correct. I have my HQL to prove it, actually. I have not seen anyone discuss my way of completing the HQL on the boards or in real life, but there is a way to do so if you are not otherwise exempt (ie. owning a regulated firearm.)

From MSP HQL website:

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component
    Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    Lawfully owns a regulated firearm. If you already own a handgun or assault weapon prior to October 1, 2013, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

It would seem to me that the old MD gun safety video course certificate would qualify as it was specifically approved by the MSP.

The 100% online Texas hunters safety course should meet the requirement as MD is accepting them for MD hunting licenses. Some members of MDS have documented success with getting a MD Hunting license and I believe a MD HQL with the Texas online course.

MDsharpShooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 6, 2014
    so im a lil confused here

but i guess the guy that said you can take one online is wrong?

if so i guess i'll start to look for some training classes

but also confused, to get my permit renewed, it just says i need to take a handgun course.

I thought HQL is what's needed to buy a new handgun.
    seems the HQL is actually a whole complete process with other stuff included that's doesnt apply in my situation?

or is me taking a handgun class the same thing as HQL ?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    The HQL is a physical card/license, which you will receive after successful completion of a handgun qualification course, various background checks and the submission of a $50 fee.

Be aware, too, that even with the HQL, you will still need to wait the mandated, seven-day "time-out" and complete a handful of redundant background checks before you can take possession of a pistol after purchase. Welcome to the Free State.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    so im a lil confused here

but i guess the guy that said you can take one online is wrong?

if so i guess i'll start to look for some training classes

but also confused, to get my permit renewed, it just says i need to take a handgun course.

I thought HQL is what's needed to buy a new handgun.
    seems the HQL is actually a whole complete process with other stuff included that's doesnt apply in my situation?

or is me taking a handgun class the same thing as HQL ?

by permit are you talking about a concealed carry permit?
    are you looking for a class to renew that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom