• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRBENJR

Jan 5, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    The way I figure, the handgun roster just allows MD to unofficially add guns to the list of assault pistols without having to change the legislation every time a company comes out with something "scary."

Exactly. Pretty sneaky on their part. Instead of publishing a list of prohibited weapons, they publish a list of "allowed" weapons. That way if they don't want to allow a specific weapon they simply don't put it on the list. No review, no appeal, no way to protest their decision because they haven't banned a particular weapon, they simply haven't identified it as "allowed"

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Really like what?

Well, the way MSP handles NFA forms. No need to deal with local CLEO's who might say no.

Other than that, all of MD's laws scream "Nanny State". The stupid regulated long arm list. The fired casing law, the integral lock law and the approved handgun list.

Let's amend the regulated firearm law, some FFLs who are in the fax system do get the forms back in less than 7 days. Allow the dealer then to transfer the firearm as soon as they get the paperwork back.

The handgun board should also review annually, the current handguns used in Olympic and International pistol shooting and give those handguns a blanket approval.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    http://www.mdsp.org/services/handgun.asp

So we here in Maryland, must wait until a particular handgun is 'approved' and gets put on the Handgun Roster. The good news is that most are approved, we are generally just a few months behind the rest of the country.

If you are thinking of purchasing a handgun, and aren't sure if it's 'approved' yet, best to check here first.

(if this is a repeat post please say the word, I'll just delete it; I stumbled across it today quite by accident)

Under Smith and Wesson, the SW1911DK is listed but the new ESeries SW1911SC is not. Does that mean I can't get that in MD?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Exactly. Your model must match something on the list pretty much exactly. There's no wiggle room.

Unless you are Springfield Armory. Any of their 1911 pistols seem to be blanket approved under the "Model 1911A1" approval as long as they are certain calibers. I want to meet that person who wrote the paperwork up for that submission.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Geez, you guys are way too uptight about that list. You want a gun that's not on the list? Go buy it on the interwebs and have it submitted to the board. You'll wait a bit longer, but I've never, ever heard of them not approving a gun. Hell, even the PMR-30 got approved, and you can't buy that with a magazine in MD!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    but I've never, ever heard of them not approving a gun.

SIG's "new" .22 1911 just failed to get approved, due to function issues.

The board also turned down a few other handguns. It does happen now and again.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Really like what?

And after all those nice things I said about you .... star running back and all :)
    just kidding.

Well, the rules are pretty much statewide, unlike in PA where you have different rules sometimes between counties, in MD everyone knows the State Police run the show. Today I glanced at the list of transportation of firearms (car/RV) guidance posted on handgunlaws.us; there are a lot of states that have certain things worse that here in MD; for example if you are legally transporting a firearm you are under no obligation to tell the police.

There has been a couple cases where citizens I'm familiar with in Maryland have defended them themselves (in one case the criminal died); and no charges were even pressed against the business owner.

All my interactions with the MDSP have been very professional (granted they are pretty busy at times and didn't always get back with me).

Not saying things couldn't be better, heck, that's what we are trying to do legislatively; but they certainly could be worse.

Now, what's really important, are you coming out to FGGM on the 4th of July? :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    SIG's "new" .22 1911 just failed to get approved, due to function issues.

The board also turned down a few other handguns. It does happen now and again.
    I would love for you to elaborate on when this has happened and why. What function issues did the Sig .22 1911 have?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I would love for you to elaborate on when this has happened and why. What function issues did the Sig .22 1911 have?

Clandestine started a thread in the Water Cooler a few weeks back, maybe 4-6 weeks. It was aimed at the SIG fanboys, maybe if you search for "SIG fanboys" in the WC you will find out. Lou45 also mentioned it here around the same time.

What I know is when the GSG 1911 was submitted it worked and was approved. At the last board meeting the SIG version was tested and they had function issues. The gun was tabled. I don't know if the person who submitted the gun gets to send in another example or what. Maybe they just need to properly clean and lube the gun???

TheGibster

Aug 17, 2010
    Dorchester County
    Unless you are Springfield Armory. Any of their 1911 pistols seem to be blanket approved under the "Model 1911A1" approval as long as they are certain calibers. I want to meet that person who wrote the paperwork up for that submission.

I was wondering about this as I did not see the Springfield Armory EMP on the list (not saying I didn't miss it)...I know it's legal in MD as there was one for sale in Jessup.

MD=What 2nd Amendment?

S&W Fanboy. I admit it.
    Jun 3, 2011
    Allegany County
    Under Smith and Wesson, the SW1911DK is listed but the new ESeries SW1911SC is not. Does that mean I can't get that in MD?

You can still get them they just aren't on the roster as the exact model sometimes. I have a SW1911DK chambered in 45 acp which is not on the list. It's the Doug Koenig edition Champions Series from S&W. The only approved DK model is the 38 super from the performance center. Generally they document 1911's as just that 1911 45 ACP's. The 1911sc may just be because they are made from different materials ie. steel versus scandium.

The E Series SW1911SC is on the approved list as 1911SC .45 ACP.

Geez, you guys are way too uptight about that list. You want a gun that's not on the list? Go buy it on the interwebs and have it submitted to the board. You'll wait a bit longer, but I've never, ever heard of them not approving a gun. Hell, even the PMR-30 got approved, and you can't buy that with a magazine in MD!

So how do you go about submiting one for approval SA just came out with the XD-M .45 compact 3.8 and I want it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, easiest way to do that is find a willing FFL (Engage was willing to do so for me), buy the gun from someone who understands the MD law (tricky, but not impossible), and then ship it to your FFL and have them do the submission. They might charge you a few bucks more, but it's not a big deal.

Otherwise, call SA and see what's going on, and whether they're going to submit it themselves.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I don't think you will find any handguns without a trigger guard on Maryland's list of approved guns?
    The Bond Arms derringers with a removable trigger is on there, but I don't think the non-trigger guard models are?
    This list, like most of Maryland's gun laws are more of a pain in the seat than anything else. Although I would like to have one of those little 22 single action revolvers!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    So how do you go about submiting one for approval SA just came out with the XD-M .45 compact 3.8 and I want it.

Contact this lady, Marlene Jenkins, mjenkins@mdsp.org 410-653-4247 Ask her for the forms. You can submit the forms yourself or work with a FFL or the gun's maker.

BTW, sometimes you do not have to submit a gun, just fill out the forms. IF the XDm Compact is approved in either 9mm or .40, they should be able to proceed based on those guns being approved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom