• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    Well I can say that it's not sitting in a pile somewhere collecting dust. My employer and references were interviewed via phone yesterday, which was 11 business days after MSP received my application. I haven't received a call yet but can only assume that is coming up next. Questions asked were about violence, alcohol, and if they had a problem with me having a hand gun permit. This appears to be moving along pretty well. I hope this pace keeps up and I get approved soon.

I got my call on Apr. 20. I've heard nothing since. They say it can take up to 3 months. I'll be waiting. Shemp:thumbsup:

Mj45

Feb 4, 2013
    Mailed my app on Monday April 22, received by MSP on Wednesday the 24th and check cashed on Friday the 26th. Looks like things are moving along and they at least opened my envelope and just didn't through it in a pile somewhere. Maybe they opened to cash check and now its in a pile somewhere.

I received a call today (May 13th) from the investigator conducting my background investigation and he spent a total of about 10 min asking me questions. The first part was verifying my personal info, second part was criminal history, drug use, alcohol consumption, firearms training, what firearm I was planning to carry and why I wanted a permit and why am I applying now. After all of that he asked to speak with my wife who was asked 3 questions. 1. Was she aware that I applied? 2. Did she have an issue with it? 3. Has there been any domestic violence in the house? The investigator told me they hired a new unit to handle all of the applications to include the backlog of apps that were old as well as new. He told me I should here something within the next 60 days. This appears to be moving along pretty fast. I hope this pace keeps up and I get approved soon.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I received a call today (May 13th) from the investigator conducting my background investigation and he spent a total of about 10 min asking me questions. The first part was verifying my personal info, second part was criminal history, drug use, alcohol consumption, firearms training, what firearm I was planning to carry and why I wanted a permit and why am I applying now. After all of that he asked to speak with my wife who was asked 3 questions. 1. Was she aware that I applied? 2. Did she have an issue with it? 3. Has there been any domestic violence in the house? The investigator told me they hired a new unit to handle all of the applications to include the backlog of apps that were old as well as new. He told me I should here something within the next 60 days. This appears to be moving along pretty fast. I hope this pace keeps up and I get approved soon.

That would put you just shy of 90 days...kinda ridiculous if you ask me

Kinda stupid to ask about domestic violence, you already have a gun lol.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Well I can say that it's not sitting in a pile somewhere collecting dust. My employer and references were interviewed via phone yesterday, which was 11 business days after MSP received my application. I haven't received a call yet but can only assume that is coming up next. Questions asked were about violence, alcohol, and if they had a problem with me having a hand gun permit. This appears to be moving along pretty well. I hope this pace keeps up and I get approved soon.

The questions are all typical. Do you have G&S?. I'm very surprised to hear the investigation interview was conducted over the phone. I say that because it sounds like you do, or you feel you do have G&S and the few people that reported they got the phone interview did not get the permit.

Mj45

Feb 4, 2013
    The questions are all typical. Do you have G&S?. I'm very surprised to hear the investigation interview was conducted over the phone. I say that because it sounds like you do, or you feel you do have G&S and the few people that reported they got the phone interview did not get the permit.

They are always going to be typical as the investigator basically said he had a script of questions he had to ask. He told me that the investigators prefer to conduct the phone interviews to help speed up the process of getting through the backlog of apps they have. I would assume they are probably under a deadline or have a quota they have to meet and waiting for a face to face interview for 10 minutes worth of questions would only hold up their processing time.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    That would put you just shy of 90 days...kinda ridiculous if you ask me

Kinda stupid to ask about domestic violence, you already have a gun lol.

We were just talking about this with my brother (lives in NC) over the weekend. My wife was interviewed, they asked her if she would be worried about having guns in the house or with me being allowed to carry.

She literally laughed out loud (politely). We've owned guns (not one or two) since I was 13 years old, handguns since 21. They KNOW I own several firearms. If there was any issue wit violence or any fear of guns or them possibly being used against her, I think they would have known it within the past 19 years.

Effin dumb. :sad20:

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    They are always going to be typical as the investigator basically said he had a script of questions he had to ask. He told me that the investigators prefer to conduct the phone interviews to help speed up the process of getting through the backlog of apps they have. I would assume they are probably under a deadline or have a quota they have to meet and waiting for a face to face interview for 10 minutes worth of questions would only hold up their processing time.

Well sure they want to get the apps off their desk. But I think the phone interviews are only being used on the apps the MSP do not expect to be approved due to lack of G&S. So they use the phone interview to burn through apps lacking G&S.

I could be very wrong but I do not know of one person that was approved and got the phone interview. If anyone here did get their permit and they got the phone interview please let us know.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Well sure they want to get the apps off their desk. But I think the phone interviews are only being used on the apps the MSP do not expect to be approved due to lack of G&S. So they use the phone interview to burn through apps lacking G&S.

I could be very wrong but I do not know of one person that was approved and got the phone interview. If anyone here did get their permit and they got the phone interview please let us know.

If they make you go in for a face to face, where do you have to go. That in of itself is a friken PITA and should be tossed out as unconsititional.

"Hey you want to carry, take off work, lose a days pay and come talk to us, then we will think about giving you one...":tdown:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If they make you go in for a face to face, where do you have to go. That in of itself is a friken PITA and should be tossed out as unconsititional.

"Hey you want to carry, take off work, lose a days pay and come talk to us, then we will think about giving you one...":tdown:

SOP.

I thought everyone had to go in for a FTF.

Mj45

Feb 4, 2013

The investigator who called me was calling from Easton which is over an hour from where I live. He isnt a state trooper but a contracted investigator for msp probably working out of his house. Where would I meet him? His house? I could understand if he was a trooper and meeting him at a local barracks, but this guy was a civilian and I believe trying to get through his stack as quickly as possible to get paid or to hit his quota. I have very good G&S and would be totally shocked if disapproved as others have gotten theirs with the same G&S. But then again nothing would surprise me in this state.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

But that is how it is. I guess they feel if your really concerned about being protected so you can save your life, missing a few hours of work is worth wild. I'm sure you take off of work to go fishing or whatever you find enjoyable. Some troopers went to the homes of applicants to make it easy on them.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    The investigator who called me was calling from Easton which is over an hour from where I live. He isnt a state trooper but a contracted investigator for msp probably working out of his house. Where would I meet him? His house? I could understand if he was a trooper and meeting him at a local barracks, but this guy was a civilian and I believe trying to get through his stack as quickly as possible to get paid or to hit his quota. I have very good G&S and would be totally shocked if disapproved as others have gotten theirs with the same G&S. But then again nothing would surprise me in this state.

His house, your house, a natural location, the MSP location that hired him. Plenty of places. I hope you do get it and I'm wrong. But a big part of the investigation is laying eyes on you as they try to figure out who you are. You can't tell crap over the phone. He might as well did the interview by email. Please let us know if you do get it.

shaneb1

Mar 27, 2013
    Don't hold your breath!

Guys I encourage everyone to do it, but be ready to be disappointed. Here is my status. I had a home invasion on Christmas by drug dealers. They thought my home was someone elses! That's what happens when you are high! I applied 2 days later. I have 3 friends who are police officers who vouched for me on the application and gave great testimony. I have a carry permit from Utah and a o3 atf ffl license, no criminal record. I did the interview and it went great. Called MSP this week. After 150+ days waiting, no one has even sent the paper work to headquarters. I have since been attacked twice! I have made several calls after 90 day period they have to respond. Not even a negative, because then you can request an appeal by judge. They will not even return a call. The state doesn't give a shit about you or your problem even if its legit. They don't want you to have the right to protect yourself. But they will gladly take every penny you have!

shaneb1

Mar 27, 2013
    the phone interview is for your refrences. You must have a face to face and they can request to come to your home and you must be ready within a 1 hour notice! That's what happened to me. They want every reason to deny you they can.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Update: Got my phone call today regarding why I wanted to have a handgun permit.

My G&S I am a business owner that owns a payroll company and transports signed payroll checks to various parts of Maryland. I also make bank deposits weekly ranging from $300 to $1000. I also carry large balance credit cards in which I purchase computers and office items.

Asked a couple things thought were odd:

1) Do I have any safety courses - I have the normal MD Safety Course as well as hunting safety course. I should have mentioned I am getting my RSO next month but forgot that.

2) Asked if I drank alcohol. That was the question, not are you a habitual drinker, etc. I said sparingly.

He said that after he is done his paperwork it goes to the Police HQ review where there are two guys processing paperwork that will say either yes or no. He said that there was nothing else I needed to do.

He said that they are currently processing early April paperwork now.

Will be calling my wife and references then sending it up.

Name was Sgt. Martin

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Update: Got my phone call today regarding why I wanted to have a handgun permit.

My G&S I am a business owner that owns a payroll company and transports signed payroll checks to various parts of Maryland. I also make bank deposits weekly ranging from $300 to $1000. I also carry large balance credit cards in which I purchase computers and office items.

Asked a couple things thought were odd:

1) Do I have any safety courses - I have the normal MD Safety Course as well as hunting safety course. I should have mentioned I am getting my RSO next month but forgot that.

2) Asked if I drank alcohol. That was the question, not are you a habitual drinker, etc. I said sparingly.

He said that after he is done his paperwork it goes to the Police HQ review where there are two guys processing paperwork that will say either yes or no. He said that there was nothing else I needed to do.

He said that they are currently processing early April paperwork now.

Will be calling my wife and references then sending it up.

Name was Sgt. Martin

Hang tough, If your a business owner you will get your ccw. The questions they ask everyone. What the point in asking if your a habitual drinker? Even habitual drinker's answer NO to that question. So they ask a question that seems harmless to answer to see if you like to run your mouth as you explain how you only have a drink after meals, but you eat 35 times every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom