• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    The Government wants everyone to have to rely on them for everything, including but definitely not limited to being able to protect one's self. Anyone that has not realized this simple fact yet, well, blame it on the educational system or w/e.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    A life long friend has been a DC police officer for 14 years. When I asked about how knives are handled, his exact words were "3 inches was max blade lenth but as long as your there working, you're fine."

He didn't get into specifics on the law and buildings and such, as faraway he is concerned it is all about intent. You're in DC to work, he knows your not up to no good. You're just hanging out on a street corner doing nothing productive and causing other headaches, you may get your day ruined for carrying a pocket knife.

Sent from your conscience.

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    I am out and about in DC almost every day. I carry one of an assortment of knives, ranging from the <2" knife on my keys(it is a pain having to dismantle my keys for .gov building, but it is what it is), thru 4+" in my pocket. Some are assisted, some not. I also see numerous people with knives clipped to their pocket. Never been asked, or seen anybody else asked, how big the knife is.

On a side note, I am more concerned with all the armed "special police" types I see carrying guns(lots of revolvers). OMG, but some of them worry me with the lack of skill they use in performing their jobs. I don't even want to think about 'em actually needing to use their gun:sad20:...

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    On a side note, I am more concerned with all the armed "special police" types I see carrying guns(lots of revolvers). OMG, but some of them worry me with the lack of skill they use in performing their jobs. I don't even want to think about 'em actually needing to use their gun:sad20:...

I kid you not - I saw one of these rent a cops jumping up and down telling a story to 3 other Paul Blarts at the FAA on Maryland Avenue once. He was unsnapped and his revolver hit the floor mid jump... right in front of me and my wife. I was furious, and bitched him out in front of his buddies.

Total :asshat:

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    I kid you not - I saw one of these rent a cops jumping up and down telling a story to 3 other Paul Blarts at the FAA on Maryland Avenue once. He was unsnapped and his revolver hit the floor mid jump... right in front of me and my wife. I was furious, and bitched him out in front of his buddies.

Total :asshat:

Based on my dealings/interactions/super-duper-keen observation skills, I believe this completely.:sad20:

bangbangbye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2012
    so i guess my front opening italian made switchblade i have been carrying for over a decade is a no go. funny story, a couple of years ago i was going into the courthouse and i forgot i had it on me. the cop said i couldn't bring it in after i tripped the metal detector. i asked them if they could hold it until i left and he said no, but i could put it under the trashcan outside. so i did. and it was there when i left.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    so i guess my front opening italian made switchblade i have been carrying for over a decade is a no go. funny story, a couple of years ago i was going into the courthouse and i forgot i had it on me. the cop said i couldn't bring it in after i tripped the metal detector. i asked them if they could hold it until i left and he said no, but i could put it under the trashcan outside. so i did. and it was there when i left.

Did something similar a long time ago - left it hidden in a potted plant outside of the building.

trippinout

Nov 12, 2008
    Fort Meade
    Wife put my SOG Trident in our camera case. (looked for that knife for 2 weeks) Found it when I tried to go into the Smithsonian. They said I could drop it into the amnesty box. I said NO and asked if they had a locker I could rent to put it in - No. Advised that only other option was to put it in my car. I told the woman that we parked at Bethesda Naval Hospital and rode subway in. Wasnt going back to my car to leave a knife so I can come back and go into the smithsonian. Thats when my kids came back out and said "they dont have the T-Rex anymore. All the stuff that comes alive is gone! We dont want to go here anymore." On the plus side, I FINALLY found my knife!

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    On a recent trip into a government building downtown I see metal detectors and X-rays checking visitors as I enter. Exit quickly. Buried my 3" assisted opening "Pen Knife" in the mulch under a bush outside. Conducted my business and retrieved the knife.

I felt quite fortunate that the knife was still there and I didn't get arrested by some onlooking policeman.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    Face it. One day, not too far away I would wager, the Government will reach their goal of making sure that anything that can be used as a weapon will be illegal for anyone to own much less carry upon them. Since the passing of the 1968 Federal Gun Law it has been a steady and constant process of making sure that will be the case. How many Americans years ago would have ever thought that they could legally be stopped on the street and more or less striped searched by Law Enforcement for no reason ? Little by little over the years American's individual rights have been slowly but constantly eroded. Hell, the U S Constitution has become no more than a piece of toilet paper. So sad and such a shame that soon there will not be a place on this planet where men (and women) are truly FREE. Sigh ...

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Ignorance truly is bliss. I may (or may not :innocent0) have been to the Dirksen Senate Office Building as well as the FBI Headquarters with a keychain pepper spray and a Kershaw Vapor II with 3.5" blade.

Obviously both buildings are quite secure, magnetrons, guards, the whole deal. I was also wearing my FOAC (Firearms Owners Against Crime) polo shirt and NRA ball cap. Hey, in for a dime in for a dollar, right?

I got a lot of ear-to-ear grins from all of the security types, and even had a prolonged conversation with one of the guys who was looking to get a handgun for his wife and wanted to chat with me about my suggestions. They lived in NOVA and they were going to get her VA license as well.

It was a great conversation once I got over the shock that an armed federal police officer was looking for input on buying a pistol for his wife. He could have just been sizing me up or something, but the convo was a good 20 minutes or so and I took it as genuine.

All that wasn't the best part. When ready to leave the FBI building and having my paperwork signed by a clerk, she turned around and saw my NRA cap sitting on the counter behind us and said "Oh shit!"

And my heart about stopped, because my company rather frowns on employees wearing any clothing with any markings other than company logos. I though I was well and truly busted.

The next words out of her mouth were "That reminds me, my husband and I have to renew our carry permits before they expire."

You could have knocked me over with a feather. They also lived in Virginia. Here was another opportunity for a bit of a chat about things.

With all the stories I've been reading lately about folks being persecuted/prosecuted over the simplest of things I'm expecting my next MRI or X-Ray to reveal a massive solid gold horseshoe buried deep in my ass. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom