• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Dont know if anyone had seen this yet, but there was a note on Hodgdons website, about the current state of powder suppy.

Here is what it reads:

Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders?
    As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components – including all Hodgdon powders – are hard to find.
    Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from
    Hodgdon.
    Q: Are you still making powders?
    A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is
    available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all
    ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make
    enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.
    Q: Are you still in business?
    A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealer’s
    shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealer’s stores.
    Q: What is causing this high demand?
    A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working
    shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty
    shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices.
    Q: I have seen/heardmany rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage.
    A: If you do not hear it from Hodgdon Powder Company please don’t believe it.
    Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition
    manufacturing companies?
    A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our
    powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.
    Q: When will I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
    A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into
    our backlog.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you load HP-38, also look for WW 231. They are the same powder, both are made by Hodgdon, it just depends on what label goes on the container.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Watch Natchez Shooters Supply and Midsouth Shooters Supply, daily.
    I stumbled upon W748 - in stock.

Also, Powder Valley has been getting powder(s) in, regularly.
    H-4895 was in stock, last week.

The key to getting powder, is keeping an eye on the site(s) and not hesitating to buy.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The only problem with Powder Valley & Natchez etc, is that you get hit with a high Hazmat fee. You ended up paying twice as much for powder, unless your able to do a bulk order. Powder Valley is on a LONG backup for orders, about a month behind. Im pretty sure Natchez, and all the other online suppliers are on a similar response.

FWIW, I would check out of state reloading suppliers-brick & mortar shops. They seem to be faring better then, shops in Maryland at the moment.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Old thread but apparently it still has not gotten any better. I just spent the last few hours both online searching and calling locally for Varget and large rifle primers and I just get laughed at. Parts of the issue is the damn scalpers!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do you know where there are 4 pound containers of Hodgdon Clays? This stuff is insane. Might have to switch back to Alliant at this rate.

Clays will be a while. The plant burned down last year.

From May 2013:

"Received a call today from Frank at GNG. He talked to Hodgdon today and the powder factory in Australia did burn down. That particular factory is the one that makes all the shotgun powders. So that's not good news for shotgun reloaders."

Just spoke to a major midwest distributor today about the Hodgdon fire issue. According to them, it was indeed a fire, but only in one machine that processed Clays and International Clays. Nothing else. So... they say don't look for those powders for over a year. Other Hodgdon powders are still in their "high demand stage" of availability, and nothing more.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Old thread but apparently it still has not gotten any better. I just spent the last few hours both online searching and calling locally for Varget and large rifle primers and I just get laughed at. Parts of the issue is the damn scalpers!

Varget comes in batches. It is made in Australia and there are only a few ships that can bring it across the ocean. So a bunch shows up, is available for a while, then it is gone for a while.

Because of this, people buy a good bit when they find it. You have to keep looking, and eventually, it will be available. But act quickly, it sells out quickly.

The same with H4895.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Clays will be a while. The plant burned down last year.

From May 2013:

Heard about the plant problem on a retailer's website. Had no idea it was May 2013 though. Wonder if they will have the stuff available this spring/summer.

You would think they would be able to replace the machine rather quick and keep producing the powder. It also seems insane that all the Clays line of powders comes from a single machine.

At this point, I would lean toward an entire plant producing the Clays line of powders and the entire plant burning down, but what the heck do I know about powder production? NADA

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    The demand is not going anywhere! They should ramp up production ...equipment .....personel. The money will be there for the long haul. They could make a killing if they would get their shit together.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As with many industries, you probably can't just order a new powder machine and have it delivered in a few weeks.

They are likely custom made each. And the company that makes them, makes other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom