• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    so im a lil confused here

but i guess the guy that said you can take one online is wrong?

if so i guess i'll start to look for some training classes

but also confused, to get my permit renewed, it just says i need to take a handgun course.

I thought HQL is what's needed to buy a new handgun.
    seems the HQL is actually a whole complete process with other stuff included that's doesnt apply in my situation?

or is me taking a handgun class the same thing as HQL ?

Are you asking about renewing your Maryland Permit to Carry a Handgun? If so, unless exempt, you must take an 8 hours course prior to renewal. You are posting in a thread about the HQL, are you speaking about the completely different training needed for the Permit to Carry a Handgun?

MDsharpShooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 6, 2014
    The HQL is a physical card/license, which you will receive after successful completion of a handgun qualification course, various background checks and the submission of a $50 fee.

Be aware, too, that even with the HQL, you will still need to wait the mandated, seven-day "time-out" and complete a handful of background checks before you can take possession of a pistol after purchase. Welcome to the free state.

But i thought that was the 16hour course
    I just need an 8hour course

i mean get fingerprinted and background check for a HQL, then turn around the next day and get fingerprinted and background check again for a permit renewal?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    so im a lil confused here

but i guess the guy that said you can take one online is wrong?

if so i guess i'll start to look for some training classes

but also confused, to get my permit renewed, it just says i need to take a handgun course.

I thought HQL is what's needed to buy a new handgun.
    seems the HQL is actually a whole complete process with other stuff included that's doesnt apply in my situation?

or is me taking a handgun class the same thing as HQL ?

Training is waived if you already owned a regulated firearm before 10/1/13. The HQL is still required to purchase going forward which involves fees, background/fingerprint check, and an application.

MDsharpShooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 6, 2014
    by permit are you talking about a concealed carry permit?
    are you looking for a class to renew that?

correct

Training is waived if you already owned a regulated firearm before 10/1/13. The HQL is still required to purchase going forward which involves fees, background/fingerprint check, and an application.

ive owned a regulated firearm before 10/1/13, however im not trying to buy a new one
    i just need to get my permit renewed,and the guy said I needed a HQL
    just trying to get clarification on is going to an 8-hour class the same as an HQL, or i guess will that get me one

MDsharpShooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 6, 2014
    If you have a MD Carry permit, you can get a free HQL. I think you are mixing up some terminology here, if you want, send me a PM and I'll shoot you my cell phone number.

ok, well i apologize, i must be in the wrong thread
    but as you see the website mdgunsafety.com didnt come up or i would have verified if that could give me what I needed

i guess u mean free HQL as in not paying? or i get a free license without having to take the firearm course lol

but yes, i have a current MARYLAND handgun carry permit

i'll PM you
    thanks for the help

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    ok, well i apologize, i must be in the wrong thread
    but as you see the website mdgunsafety.com didnt come up or i would have verified if that could give me what I needed

i guess u mean free HQL as in not paying? or i get a free license without having to take the firearm course lol

but yes, i have a current MARYLAND handgun carry permit

i'll PM you
    thanks for the help

If you have a current carry permit you can get the HQL for free. The online training was made obsolete by the need for the HQL
    I wouldn't say you were in the wrong thread really, since this tread was started 6 years before the HQL took effect :innocent0

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    If you have a MD Carry permit, you can get a free HQL. I think you are mixing up some terminology here, if you want, send me a PM and I'll shoot you my cell phone number.

Can't beat this deal! :thumbsup:

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Yes, I will be posting about it within the next few days (very busy here at work.)

That's not completely correct. I have my HQL to prove it, actually. I have not seen anyone discuss my way of completing the HQL on the boards or in real life, but there is a way to do so if you are not otherwise exempt (ie. owning a regulated firearm.)

Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Yes, I will be posting about it within the next few days (very busy here at work.)

That's not completely correct. I have my HQL to prove it, actually. I have not seen anyone discuss my way of completing the HQL on the boards or in real life, but there is a way to do so if you are not otherwise exempt (ie. owning a regulated firearm.)

I am curious as to how you did it. Will you be posting the details or at least send a pm to those of us who are interested in how you did it?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I am curious as to how you did it. Will you be posting the details or at least send a pm to those of us who are interested in how you did it?
    I just went through the process, but I'd love to know if there was a workaround I could've used instead.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    The link is down - I just got a 404 with
    Apache/2.0.59 (Unix) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.0.59 OpenSSL/0.9.8f PHP/4.4.5 Server at mdgunsafety.com Port 80

This is an old thread that got revived. Pre 10/1/13 you needed to take a 30 min online training "class" that met the requirement to be able to buy a handgun (or other regulated firearm). There were other ways to meet the requirement as well.

After 10/1/13 you need a Handgun Qualification License (HQL) to take possession of a new-to-you handgun. There are a couple exemptions, but if you need the training the online training at the above link didn't qualify and was taken down.

Maryland2A

Aug 23, 2017
    Old (online) Maryland Police Training Commission Firearms Safety Training Course Card

So, dumb question: I took the (online) Maryland Police Training Commission Firearms Safety Training Course in 2012, prior to the new Handgun Qualification License (HQL) requirements.

I've been carrying around the self-printed card from the completion of this course in my wallet ever since.

It says:

Born on [Date] has completed a certified firearms safety training course online, on [Date] which meets the requirements of Public Safety Article § 3 208 (d) of the Annotated Code of Maryland.

At this point is there any reason to keep this card at all, yet alone on my person. Or should I simply destroy it?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    So, dumb question: I took the (online) Maryland Police Training Commission Firearms Safety Training Course in 2012, prior to the new Handgun Qualification License (HQL) requirements.

I've been carrying around the self-printed card from the completion of this course in my wallet ever since.

It says:

Born on [Date] has completed a certified firearms safety training course online, on [Date] which meets the requirements of Public Safety Article § 3 208 (d) of the Annotated Code of Maryland.

At this point is there any reason to keep this card at all, yet alone on my person. Or should I simply destroy it?
    It meets the training requirement for a VA CCW. If you don't yet have one that could be a final use before you discard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom