• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lennyjoe

Sep 22, 2007
    Hagerstown
    Coming from a free state (Arizona), I used to walk in, pick the firearm I wanted, filled out the paperwork and walked out with the handgun.

Knowing that's not the case here in Maryland, what can I expect to run into?

What is the steps necessary for handgun purchase here. Is long guns the same process?

Thanks in advance.

CHASER

Nov 9, 2007
    7 Day wait period and only one regulated firearm per month and the online class

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Go to the store, take your DD214, or take the on-line course, or watch the video in the store.

Give them the money for the gun, the money for the stupid lock they have to sell you, sign a paper to give the State of MD permission to access your private medical records, fill out a couple of other forums, and leave without your firearm. Wait for them to call you and tell you that your seven days has passed... (Between 7 and for me buying a AR15 lower receiver, 21 days) then drive back to the store and pick up your gun....

Easy as pie.

Long Guns are, for the most part, Cash and Carry unless thay are on the list. Then, see above.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Only certain long guns are regulated in MD. Regulated long guns are treated the same as handguns, but only as far as buying, selling and transfers goes.

When you buy a handgun or regulated long gun from a MD regulated firearms dealer (an FFL that also has a MD license to sell regulated firearms), you have to fill out the forms, pay a ten dollar background check fee for it and wait at least seven full days (depends on the dealer and when they send the paperwork in) before you can come to pick it up.
    You will also have to pay for the integral gun lock for the handguns which may be anywhere from 15 to 30 dollars I hear unless it has one already built in.

If you bought a handgun or regulated long gun from another MD resident, then you both have to go down to a MD state police barracks to pay the ten dollar application fee and do the paperwork. If after seven full days pass without the purchaser being "dissaproved", the regulated firearm can be transfered to the purchaser.

If there is anything I forgot, others which have actually gone through the proces will come along and add or correct any errors.

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Only certain long guns are regulated in MD. Regulated long guns are treated the same as handguns, but only as far as buying, selling and transfers goes.

When you buy a handgun or regulated long gun from a MD regulated firearms dealer (an FFL that also has a MD license to sell regulated firearms), you have to fill out the forms, pay a ten dollar background check fee for it and wait at least seven full days (depends on the dealer and when they send the paperwork in) before you can come to pick it up.
    You will also have to pay for the integral gun lock for the handguns which may be anywhere from 15 to 30 dollars I hear unless it has one already built in.

If you bought a handgun or regulated long gun from another MD resident, then you both have to go down to a MD state police barracks to pay the ten dollar application fee and do the paperwork. If after seven full days pass without the purchaser being "dissaproved", the regulated firearm can be transfered to the purchaser.

If there is anything I forgot, others which have actually gone through the proces will come along and add or correct any errors.

You forgot that wile a FFL CAN transfer a weapon after Seven days, the Vast Majority of FFL holders will not transfer the weapon without the returned application stamped "Not Disapproved", no matter how long it takes.

t3tech

Oct 15, 2007
    Elkton
    Coming from a free state (Arizona), I used to walk in, pick the firearm I wanted, filled out the paperwork and walked out with the handgun.
    But Maryland is "The Free State".

:confused:

Oh, that's just a catchy slogan, not to be confused with term "freedom," nor is the word 'free' to be used in any literal sense with regards to citizens. The source of the State slogan is irrelevant.

The nickname "Free State" was created by Hamilton Owens, editor of the Baltimore Sun. In 1923, Georgia Congressman William D. Upshaw, a firm supporter of Prohibition, denounced Maryland as a traitor to the Union for refusing to pass a State enforcement act. Mr. Owens thereupon wrote a mock-serious editorial entitled "The Maryland Free State," arguing that Maryland should secede from the Union rather than prohibit the sale of liquor. The irony in the editorial was subtle, and Mr. Owens decided not to print it. He popularized the nickname, however, in later editorials.

Mike128

Feb 28, 2007
    If purchasing from an individual and you go to the State Police Barracks leave the gun in the car. Have the deputy remove it and bring it into the barracks. I believe it is unlawful for a citizen to bring a firearm into a police barracks. If it is illegal or not, they don't like it when you bring it in.

KillerTux

Sep 28, 2007
    Odenton
    If purchasing from an individual and you go to the State Police Barracks leave the gun in the car. Have the deputy remove it and bring it into the barracks. I believe it is unlawful for a citizen to bring a firearm into a police barracks. If it is illegal or not, they don't like it when you bring it in.
    I am seen around the Annapolis barracks too much. The desk officer just said bring the pistol on in. All those damn transfers :)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I am seen around the Annapolis barracks too much. The desk officer just said bring the pistol on in. All those damn transfers :)

Will they do transfers at the Annapolis barracks? I thought you had to go to the licensing division office which is now, I think, on Reisterstown Rd?

I'd love to be wrong on this one.....I live 10 minutes from the Annapolis barracks.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Did anyone else expect to see a joke in this thread, similar to the "How to take a shower: Men vs. Women" after reading the title???

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    sign a paper to give the State of MD permission to access your private medical records

If that was true, I am sure I would have been denied with all this backlash against people taking antidepressants, not to mention nowhere on the form does it ask for you to write down your Dr's name, address and ph#.

The form is for PUBLIC records, as in a judge sent you to the state hospital, or you were threatening to jump off a building and the police got you to change your mind and took you into custody, then took you to a hospital, and all this is recorded somewhere.

All this private records crap makes me feel I should contact my Dr and demand to know what is written about me regarding my mental condition.

KillerTux

Sep 28, 2007
    Odenton
    Any State Police Barracks will do it.
    The worst is the Glen Burnie barracks. Their hours for transfer are just sad. The officers at Annapolis are knowledgeable and get the stuff out quick. The key thing to remember is if you are the seller and you get the papers back "not disapproved" you have to meet up with the buyer sign the rest of the forms and mail it to Pikesville. I almost forgot and after 90 days the transfer becomes void you have to start all over again and pay the fee again :mad54:

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Yes, any Barracks will do it, but I know Glen Burnie Barracks has certain hours, Sundays I believe. If you show up at another time they probably wont do the transfer. I assume other barracks have various days/times they do it.

Will they do transfers at the Annapolis barracks? I thought you had to go to the licensing division office which is now, I think, on Reisterstown Rd?

I'd love to be wrong on this one.....I live 10 minutes from the Annapolis barracks.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Purchase to buy an handgun is just like this ..

Maryland is using the Ron Popeil's method

"Set it and forget it" (paperwork and pay it)
    and
    "But Wait" (always delaying the paperwork more than 8 days to pick up your gun)

Deacon51

Feb 28, 2007
    Baltimore City
    If that was true, I am sure I would have been denied with all this backlash against people taking antidepressants, not to mention nowhere on the form does it ask for you to write down your Dr's name, address and ph#.

The form is for PUBLIC records, as in a judge sent you to the state hospital, or you were threatening to jump off a building and the police got you to change your mind and took you into custody, then took you to a hospital, and all this is recorded somewhere.

All this private records crap makes me feel I should contact my Dr and demand to know what is written about me regarding my mental condition.

If the records are public, why do you need to sign a waver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom