• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    Livescan

for those doing livescan, did you need an agency name and authorization number? my wife deals w/this all the time and suggested I'd need it. I can't see anywhere that anyone else had this experience so i thought i'd ask.

edit: also, did anyone contact CJIS before doing their livescans? another point brought up by the wife...

I did not need any of this. Livescan is a system/network that is used for all kinds of background checks. Use a provider in the network and you get a receipt that includes the details necessay for the MDSP to obtain the results. Just include the Livescan receipt with your handgun permit application and $75 application fee.

drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    There is a code for the livescan system. But the processing companies normally have it already on file.

For reference they are:
    1. Handgun Permit …………………………………………………… 9400082484
    2. Security Guard (Individual) …………………………………….. 9300000802
    3. Private Detective (Individual) …………………………………….. 9400082495
    4. Security Agency/Private Detective Agency (Company)…… 9400082495
    5. Special Police/Railroad Police Commissions ………………… 9400082506
    6. Security Systems Agency/Security Systems Technicians… 9700004860
    7. Regulated Firearms Dealer …………………………………….. 9400082473

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    Renewals?

A question that has been bugging me.

If you are fingerprinted for the original app, why do you have to submit fingerprints again for a renewal? Is OweMalley trying to make sure someone is working in this state?

This is common. My NC permit in 1995 required electronic fingerprinting for the initial permit AND for each renewal.

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    Livescan is a system, not a company...

Which selection is to be used on the Livescan web site to start the registration process? Is it the "Hundgun Licensing" (sic) link?

Do I also understand that you walk ou of that facility with a fully prepared CCW form (in addition to the photos and fingerprints being taken)?

-tnx,

Jeff

There are now many private security and investigative companies who can offer the Livescan fingerprinting & background check part of the application process. You do not have to register with "Livescan" or CJIS.

"MDLivescan" has a website that allows you to "register with them" before showing up to get your fingerprints taken by them and uploaded into the Livescan system. Apex is another provider, but you call them for an appointment instead of registering on their website.

This link has many more locations who may offer Livescan:
    http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Dumb question...

Those pages (1, 5, 6, 8, 9 & 10) that deal with renewals, work and such, if they don't apply, can they be discarded? Or should we just write N/A and keep all the pages intact?

Jamie

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    Yes, some will do notary, fingerprinting & photos, but you still have to fill out the MDSP application & send it with the application fee.

Last edited:

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    Dumb question...

Those pages (1, 5, 6, 8, 9 & 10) that deal with renewals, work and such, if they don't apply, can they be discarded? Or should we just write N/A and keep all the pages intact?

Jamie

Based on what I read on MSI's sample/instructions page:
    http://marylandshallissue.org/get-i...to-apply-for-a-maryland-handgun-carry-permit/
    I left out the pages that "do not apply." Hope that was correct :-)

This link provideds the most comprehensive details. Very helpful! Thanks! & support to MSI!

Last edited:

jake12

May 18, 2010
    For an arrest that was later expunged, how should we answer questions 12, 13 and 14?

This is what the MSI mentions on expungement:

Stop Here and Read

If you have any concerns about your background, it is highly advisable to consult a lawyer before applying. Providing FALSE information on this application can result in felony charges and a lifetime ban on ownership of firearms. You will be subjected to a full background check with no stone left unturned. If you have previously received PBJ(Probation Before Judgment), you should strongly consider seeking an expungement before applying. Maryland Shall Issue cannot provide legal assistance or advice, only information

Would you even mention it? I know it hasn't stopped numerous gov. background and clearance checks. My gut says be honest, which is what I do on the background checks, but I feel like MDSP would find anything they can to deny even if they didn't find this on any of their own background checks. This was a MD arrest btw.

ECPDefense

Jun 30, 2010
    Cecil-Tucky
    How many of you had to explain question #24 for being denied a handgun permit?

I said that I was Unconstitionally denied by MSP for not providing a "good and sustantial resaon" back in the 1990's.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    There are two mentions of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" - one instruction set and the actual application.
    One instruction page on the MDSP website does say 2" x 2", but I chose to use the dimensions on the actual page 7 of the application that is mailed to the MDSP, which is the 1 1/2" size.

Take your photo with a digital camera, paste it into a Word table with a cell size of exactly 1.5 x 1.5 then print & trim to size.

The application says "Can be computer generated"

Thank you, i thought I was going insane. I know I read somewhere that it was 2x2 but could not find it last night.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    How many of you had to explain question #24 for being denied a handgun permit?

I said that I was Unconstitionally denied by MSP for not providing a "good and sustantial resaon" back in the 1990's.

Sounds good, your honest and they can probably verify it themselves.

Be honest and forthcoming on the forms, do not try to hide anything.

I am not providing legal advice, if you are looking for that, find a lawyer and get it.

Best of luck to all.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    [ ] Fees Required: Handgun Permit - Original $112.25 ($75 application fee + $37.25background check)
    Subsequent $69.25 ($50 application fee + $19.25 background check)
    Retired Police $37.25 (ONLY background check fee required)
    NOTE: IF Live Scan used, applicants pay to the State Police an application fee only

Thats the way I read it.

akrobatik

Feb 20, 2012
    Can someone please verify:

If we do Livescan we only include a check to MSP for $75 and the receipt for the Livescan?

I need to know this also. I had LiveScan fingerprinting done yesterday, do I only pay $75 application fee, or do I still have to pay $112.25? Does the LiveScan fee always include the $37.25 background check fee?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom