• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Some of you know I am looking into getting my first AR-15.

I want an AR-15 with a 16" barrel. Must be HBAR.
    I'm looking to spend around 1,000 or close to it.
    I want a gun that is mil-spec. Must be reliable and durable. As I said in another thread, I don't plan to see combat but I want a gun that CAN be reliable in it, if you see what I mean. Basically a good target gun that I can also have as a survival gun.

So far I've found bushmaster XM's at around $1,000. SO FAR this is my pick.

Another option is Fulton Armory. I have yet to see one in a store (except their own online store) so I don't know about their in store prices.

I saw a Del-Ton brand AR-15 for only $750 the other day. I have no idea how good this rifle is. Upon doing some research online, alot of people like it. I'm looking for some advice because its a brand I've never heard of before. Even if its a good target rifle, keep in mind I want something mil-spec, and very reliable.

It certainly would be nice to get an AR for $750 but I don't want to sacrifice quality AT ALL. For this price though, I could have ammo and other things. So it would be nice.

Let me know what you all think. I can't wait to get an AR-15

Last edited:

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Oh and it has to be a heavy barreled unregulated gun if you offer other suggestions.

CorpsmanUp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 19, 2010
    St Mary's County
    Look into building your own.

Lots of guys on here have.

You can build a very good rifle and come in at around, or below your target price of 1k.

I plan on building my 6.8 SPC. Good quality parts much cheaper than a company rifle.

Good luck.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Look into building your own.

Lots of guys on here have.

You can build a very good rifle and come in at around, or below your target price of 1k.

I plan on building my 6.8 SPC. Good quality parts much cheaper than a company rifle.

Good luck.

+1
    Build your own. Del Ton, Stag and Rock River sells AR Kits minus the Lower receiver. you'll save a boatload of $$ for accessories and ammo.

+1 on building your own.
    My experience-
    $61.50 for stripped lower via group buy
    $30.00 MD transfer fee
    $149.99 LBK from Palmetto State Armory
    $515.00 Stag Arms Upper from The Gun Shop
    Gun was put together in less than an hour.
    If you are looking to spend $1000, and build yourself, you could come away with an excellent rifle.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I'm not sure you're going to find what you're looking for if it NEEDS to be unregulated. Under 21? Otherwise I'd say buy a stripped lower and an LPK and buy a BCM upper. Stripped lowers are treated as regulated firearms by all dealers I know, so that's not really an option for you.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    attachment.jpg

0123001458.jpg

for 16" try to go mid-length. Mid-length is basically tailored to be the best fit for a 16" based on dwell time and reduced wear/recoil. My older bro alucard got me a del-ton mid-length heavy barreled upper for my tactical innovations bdx lower and i'm incredibly pleased with it. Couple things to check over though. when swapping out the forend for a yhm free-float diamond tube, the front sight/gas block had so much damned red loctite in it that we had to heat the sumbitch up and almost strip out the threads to pull it off...which can be a good thing if it's not pinned, but it a PIA. Also the barrel nut was loose....very loose. After putting the yhm and properly torquing the barrel nut, flyers in my groups went bye-bye and they shrunk a good bit. I'm very happy with the kit overall though. If you're over 21, like others said...get a lower and a build-kit to save a ton of money. if over 18 but under 21, ure pretty much screwed i guess until you get a bit older.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    +1 build yourself and if you get used you can get great deals.... Mine was under $1000 and I got some sweet parts used....

After all was said and done $906 out the door!! (Not including EoTech)
    Spikes Lower $62 + $35 transfer
    CMMG LPK $149
    Eotech 511 rev. F
    FDE Magpul Furniture
    16" BCM Mid-Length Upper: $625
    9" Troy MRF-DI
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) – Auto
    Spikes billet charging handle
    Magpul MBUIS

20100522_7.jpg

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Some folks NEED to read and not just repeat their favorite mantra "BUILD ONE YOURSELF!!".

The OP is NOT 21, he can't buy a lower yet.

To the OP, Del-Ton is OK. JeepDriver mentioned a good option, check here to see if this company http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ has any heavy barrel rifles that are in your price range. If a FFL would sell you a Bushy or Del-Ton HB, they would have no issue selling a BCM. You would have to check with the maker to see what gun has what barrel.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Some folks NEED to read and not just repeat their favorite mantra "BUILD ONE YOURSELF!!".

To the OP, Del-Ton is OK. JeepDriver mentioned a good option, check here to see if this company http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ has any heavy barrel rifles that are in your price range. If a FFL would sell you a Bushy or Del-Ton HB, they would have no issue selling a BCM. You would have to check with the maker to see what gun has what barrel.

Where can one find complete BCM rifles right now? I'm not so sure about the whole HBAR thing, as my M6A3 clearly has a heavy barrel contour and yet was regulated, unless some MD dealer is selling LWRCIs as unregulated and I haven't heard about it.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    DelTon is good, but they are not "mil-spec". If that is what you want, the closest you will get is BCM or Spikes if they sell H-BAR rifles (I haven't looked to see if they do or not).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Depends on which parameter you consider overriding.
    Answer #1 : Del Ton is average or better quality, at a value price point. One of our member dealers has sold lots of them to satisfied customers.
    Answer #2 : If total milspec is overriding factor, you need to revise your budget.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Depends on which parameter you consider overriding.
    Answer #1 : Del Ton is average or better quality, at a value price point. One of our member dealers has sold lots of them to satisfied customers.
    Answer #2 : If total milspec is overriding factor, you need to revise your budget.

I don't think that's necessarily true. A BCM is milspec or better, and you can get it for around 1k:

BCM Upper (adding in PA Flash hider and BCG/CH) $625

Midlength Handguards $20

BCM lower $350

Total: $995 before shipping and handling.

Granted, it's not an HBAR, which is what he's looking for, but I'm fairly sure if you search around on BCM's site, you'll find a similar combination with a heavy barrel.

Justpassing

Anti-Anti-Gun
    I have a DTI and now after some modifications, it shoots extremely well!!
    Understanding your situation, your trying to keep it unregulated and simple.. right?

If so, than DTI is a recommended buy. After understanding the AR15 platform, you can than move on to upgrading and/or build another AR15 after your 21 :)

Kinda crazy that i have the same mid-length and same rail system as smokey :p

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.

Where in his original post does it say he's not 21??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom