• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Where does your understanding come from, and where are those separate bulletins?

From my insatiable appetite for "regulated weapons" threads and careful reading of the MD annotated code.

(4) "Assault weapons" has the meaning stated in Public Safety Article, §5-101(p), Annotated Code of Maryland.

The list of guns on § 5-101(p) was last updated by the State Legislature in 2005. There is no mechanism or committee in place to alter this list as there is for handguns.

The MSP and the AG's office cannot make the law, they can only interpret it: hence the rulings about HBARs, open carry of long guns, etc. These are not available on government websites. For reasons beyond my comprehension, the MSP seems to actively avoid making formal rulings and is very unwilling to publish them for the masses to review. Since they are plugged directly into the MSP Firearms office, our FFL IPs do have them and will probably share if asked.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    So you're telling me the system is even more broken, and our legislators and state police administrators are even more stupid and short-sighted than I had thought? I am truly depressed now.

Attachments

• shootyourself.gif
      shootyourself.gif
      482.8 KB · Views: 385

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Quick question about this...

If you were buying a model that is represented on the list, and it is preowned, does it matter not what year that model was made or where it was made? As long as the specific manufacture and model designation are on the "approved" roster, is the arm in question fair game in our garbage state.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Quick question about this...

If you were buying a model that is represented on the list, and it is preowned, does it matter not what year that model was made or where it was made? As long as the specific manufacture and model designation are on the "approved" roster, is the arm in question fair game in our garbage state.

With rifles and shotguns there is no approved list. The only difference is what paperwork you fill out. New or used, it doesn't matter.

With handguns, any handgun made before 1/1/1985 is legal in MD. If it was made on or after 1/1/1985 it has to be on the approved list. Again, new or used doesn't matter.

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    "Modifications such as the "non-Colt HBARs are not regulated" ruling are issued as separate bulletins."

Can anyone confirm this- maybe an IP. I brought it up with a dealer but couldn't prove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom