• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    After all that pain and operations the last 2 years, Id like something that gives me z87+ or even the mil spec protection and wide coverage. Just getting another regular pair of vision glasses simply wont give me the satisfaction of knowing my eyes are safer from shooting hazards.

Get the doctor to find the ANSI approved frames page of the catalog and order Trivex lenses.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Here's my "redneck" contribution:

Smith & Wesson safety glasses + +1.0 readers + a dab of silicone = $8.00 spent.

If I could have found cheap +0.75, I would have gone with those but these work fine.

I did a similar approach - glued skinny small tube reader to top part of safety shooting clear eyewear.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Get the doctor to find the ANSI approved frames page of the catalog and order Trivex lenses.

Thanks for the tip. I actually work right next to my eye doctor/center place so I can pop in and ask them a few questions about that. I wonder if my insurance will cover some of the costs if i go this route (wishful thinking)

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    My optometrist is Barry Ephraim in Kensington. He is/was a range safety instructor at IWLA Damascus so he is familiar with shooting requirements. He makes my script to focus on the front sight.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    FWIW - If you want a cheap option - I went with these oversized shooting goggles.

Think kind of like Mr. Mad Scientist in his lab, only tinted for shooting.

They may not be the most stylish thing out there, but my glasses fit in them comfortably and because they are big enough to hold them comfortably and the lenses are much larger than my regular glasses - they let me just use my regular glasses or even prescription sunglasses without issue at the range. I use them for optics and irons without any issue.

I kind of like the idea that my eye is being protected by these and then also gets the protection of my regular glasses on top of that.

If you decide to buy these, keep the little plastic thing they come in - they are way too big to fit in a regular glasses case so the package they come in is the best way to put them into your range bag.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TWWT5A/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a pair of "sport" prescription eyeglasses I bought at Wal-Mart for like $60 or something. I bought them to play racquetball with, but I find they are also pretty good for trap & skeet shooting where you are trying track stuff with your peripheral vision and so you want wrap-around lenses. I didn't particularly like contacts but I would always wear them for clays, just because regular eyeglasses give you such crappy peripheral vision. These aren't as good as contacts, but seem to work much better than conventionally shaped glasses, at least for me.

I have simple near-sightedness and don't yet need reading glasses, so YMMV.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Bringing this thread back to life. I was sighting in a couple rifles yesterday. These last few years my eyes have affected my sight picture in handgun and rifle. I tried my reading glasses after a while looking through a scope and it was much better.
    Since this thread is old, maybe some new solution to this has become available.

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    I'm an optician and I've been dealing with people with this sort of problem for 40 years. The solution exists. You just need your current eye glass prescription. To make this as simple as possible; I measure the distance from your eye to the front site and make your glasses so the front site is the focus point. Be that with long gun or hand gun. I'm happy to work with you. Please call/text me. Bruce: 410-336-3600

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I'm an optician and I've been dealing with people with this sort of problem for 40 years. The solution exists. You just need your current eye glass prescription. To make this as simple as possible; I measure the distance from your eye to the front site and make your glasses so the front site is the focus point. Be that with long gun or hand gun. I'm happy to work with you. Please call/text me. Bruce: 410-336-3600
    thanks, I'll be in touch.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I wear bifocals, it sucks shooting with them. Amazon sells full lens “cheater“ safety glasses, different magnifications to suit your needs. I use 2X and it really has helped me a lot when shooting.

75A557F0-C04B-49E6-95FC-7457F0A0D86D.jpeg

Last edited:

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I wear bifocals, it sucks shooting with them. Amazon sells full lens “cheater“ safety glasses, different magnifications to suit your needs. I use 2X and it really has helped me a lot when shooting.

View attachment 434619
    What do you do when you look down range (not through you gun sites), because you only need readers?

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    What do you do when you look down range (not through you gun sites), because you only need readers?
    It is a little blurry. When shooting I am able to focus on the front site with ease though. When shooting with my bifocals, I have to tilt my head back to focus on the front site.

89P13

May 10, 2023
    The Island
    Before I got lasik I used https://www.39dollarglasses.com/

You can send in you’re glasses or sunglasses you already have and like and they’ll fit them with prescription lenses. I got tired of having to get new ones every time when I already had glasses or shades I loved but wish were prescription. Wife found this site for me one day. I sent in my sunglasses and glasses I already liked and were used to and they fitted them with prescription lenses. Got them back in under 2 weeks. Few years later I got lasik. Best decision ever. I popped out the old lenses and popped in the new ones from Oakley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom