• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Capt-D

Aug 13, 2012
    OK here goes;

I just finished toiling through the 6 pages of information (?) posted in the recent month in an attempt to find an unbiased review from someone who has actually bought one of these guns (specifically the semi automatic tactical version) and has had a chance to cycle some rounds through it.

Since it has been a month since the original post I was wondering if any of the ppl who said they were purchasing one had a chance to use it. I am looking for a home defense shotgun that my wife can potentially redecorate and repaint the walls red with in the unforeseen chance she needs to deal with any unwanted and treating pirates, plunderers, or racketeers that may find their way onto the house while i am away.

I did notice that a couple of people said they were awaiting arrival of their purchases so hopefully they have had a chance to heat them up and are willing to post their opinions.

Disclaimer: I am in fact a real person, do not claim any allegiance to anyone except my wife, my county and its constitution, and above all my god (and that is between me and him!). This is in no way an attempt to stir the pot or arouse chest thumping on any side of any previous argument. I just looking some "in the field" reports.

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    I love this thread and the previous bashing that the Linberta sales guy took on the locked thread. I don't keep firearms next to my bed aside from a 32oz aluminum Easton baseball bat. I know...it's probably not the best ball bat for HD, and I'm sure to take the heat from the ball bat aficionado's on the forum.

That said - on a whim - I just ordered the firearm in question. If it makes it through the first 200 rnds without blowing up or turning into a jam-o-matic I will replace the tac stock with a standard synthetic from Linberta. Price for the stock??? A little over $40 bucks.

What you will get is a fair review of the fit and finish, operation, accuracy (if it matters), reliability with different ammo, and what I think the longevity might be. I'll clean it before it heads out to the range, perform std cleaning, and completely disassemble after 200 rnds to check for wear.

I own tools made in USA, Germany, Belgium, and Japan so I really have no allegiance per se. You can find quality anywhere if you look hard enough and can afford it. This isn't about that. This is the cheapest of the autoloaders and I just want to see what it has to say. If it's a FAIL - I still have the 32oz cranium kisser.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I love this thread and the previous bashing that the Linberta sales guy took on the locked thread. I don't keep firearms next to my bed aside from a 32oz aluminum Easton baseball bat. I know...it's probably not the best ball bat for HD, and I'm sure to take the heat from the ball bat aficionado's on the forum.

That said - on a whim - I just ordered the firearm in question. If it makes it through the first 200 rnds without blowing up or turning into a jam-o-matic I will replace the tac stock with a standard synthetic from Linberta. Price for the stock??? A little over $40 bucks.

What you will get is a fair review of the fit and finish, operation, accuracy (if it matters), reliability with different ammo, and what I think the longevity might be. I'll clean it before it heads out to the range, perform std cleaning, and completely disassemble after 200 rnds to check for wear.

I own tools made in USA, Germany, Belgium, and Japan so I really have no allegiance per se. You can find quality anywhere if you look hard enough and can afford it. This isn't about that. This is the cheapest of the autoloaders and I just want to see what it has to say. If it's a FAIL - I still have the 32oz cranium kisser.

I'm glad that you are going to do a review. However, please take your time and put at least 5,000 rounds through it. A mere 200 rounds won't really tell you anything. For instance, I shot with a guy using another and almost identical Turkish autoloader a couple of weeks ago. He said that his had worked just fine for 300-400 rounds. After that it broke two hammers in short order. The gun didn't break while we were shooting, but it jammed about 25 times (FTF) in one round of 100 sporting targets. The gun was clean, correctly lubed and he was using premium shells and has about 1500 shells through it now. A dog in my book.

These types of guns are so inexpensive that taking a chance on one for the occasional hunter/hacker is no big deal - kind of a disposable gun. Where I question this type of purchase is for HD use. Of course, the chances are that you will never use it, but I would hate to read about the funeral services for the guy who's gun didn't go bang. Why tempt Murphy's law?

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    Few of my tools have ever seen 5000 and I don't expect this one to be any different. Variety is the spice of life, hence nothing I have gets a torture test. Just doesn't make economic sense to me (rounds, wear, etc). I don't shoot clays and haven't shot competitively in 30+ years. I just don't use these things in my line of work. Military tested Beretta's to 35,000 rnds. This ain't that piece and never will be.

Initial breakdown will show the tooling, milling and various machine work quality before ever pulling a trigger. My current lens doesn't have a macro setting but you will be the first to know what I find...hopefully with pics. It shipped today so first range day looks like 10/6. Maybe sooner depending on workload.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Few of my tools have ever seen 5000 and I don't expect this one to be any different. Variety is the spice of life, hence nothing I have gets a torture test. Just doesn't make economic sense to me (rounds, wear, etc). I don't shoot clays and haven't shot competitively in 30+ years. I just don't use these things in my line of work. Military tested Beretta's to 35,000 rnds. This ain't that piece and never will be.

Initial breakdown will show the tooling, milling and various machine work quality before ever pulling a trigger. My current lens doesn't have a macro setting but you will be the first to know what I find...hopefully with pics. It shipped today so first range day looks like 10/6. Maybe sooner depending on workload.

You are buying this gun for a potential home defense gun, correct? In the training section is a thread about a shotgun course. The minimum ammo needed for the class is 120 rounds. Another class I know of is 175 rounds. If you take a few classes or train with your gun or shoot some 3 gun not as a competitor but for improving your skills you should be able to put 500 shells through the gun rather quickly.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'm glad that you are going to do a review. However, please take your time and put at least 5,000 rounds through it. A mere 200 rounds won't really tell you anything. For instance, I shot with a guy using another and almost identical Turkish autoloader a couple of weeks ago. He said that his had worked just fine for 300-400 rounds. After that it broke two hammers in short order. The gun didn't break while we were shooting, but it jammed about 25 times (FTF) in one round of 100 sporting targets. The gun was clean, correctly lubed and he was using premium shells and has about 1500 shells through it now. A dog in my book.

These types of guns are so inexpensive that taking a chance on one for the occasional hunter/hacker is no big deal - kind of a disposable gun. Where I question this type of purchase is for HD use. Of course, the chances are that you will never use it, but I would hate to read about the funeral services for the guy who's gun didn't go bang. Why tempt Murphy's law?

You are buying this gun for a potential home defense gun, correct? In the training section is a thread about a shotgun course. The minimum ammo needed for the class is 120 rounds. Another class I know of is 175 rounds. If you take a few classes or train with your gun or shoot some 3 gun not as a competitor but for improving your skills you should be able to put 500 shells through the gun rather quickly.

I really can't add much more than what these guys have already said. I just know for home defense, I want something that is already proven in the event I would have to use it.

I'm not going to chest thump or cheer lead for any particular brand. Enough of that has been done already in the other thread. I just can't see risking the life of my loved ones on something that has no reputation other than that the company representative says it has.

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    Took the $399 jewel out for a spin this afternoon. 15 00 buck and 15 slugs. All high brass. Ran flawless, but one would expect that with high power loads. Did complete disassembly and clean before heading out. Greased and oiled all of the typical places.

Note: During the clean there was more metal shavings from machining than I expected. These were all very fine and throughout the weapon. Most appeared to be from the machining of the mag tube. When I say more than expected I mean that every patch from every location showed signs of shavings on first pass.

Machining was better than expected. I was re-working the internals of a Marlin 60 a few days before and the Linberta was heads above the Marlins machine work. Barrel is light - nothing substantial here. It aint Mossbergs heavy barrel for sure. After the clean action operated smooth and without a gritty feeling. Bolt and carrier are solid. Bolt release is stiff and requires good deal of force to release. This aint no Browing Auto 5.

It came with an improved cylinder choke. Pattern at 7 yards with buck was acceptable. Slugs at 25yds were in a 8 in pattern :(

More later after dinner. Tomorrow it will get the target load treatment and we'll see what happens.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Took the $399 jewel out for a spin this afternoon. 15 00 buck and 15 slugs. All high brass. Ran flawless, but one would expect that with high power loads. Did complete disassembly and clean before heading out. Greased and oiled all of the typical places.

Note: During the clean there was more metal shavings from machining than I expected. These were all very fine and throughout the weapon. Most appeared to be from the machining of the mag tube. When I say more than expected I mean that every patch from every location showed signs of shavings on first pass.

Machining was better than expected. I was re-working the internals of a Marlin 60 a few days before and the Linberta was heads above the Marlins machine work. Barrel is light - nothing substantial here. It aint Mossbergs heavy barrel for sure. After the clean action operated smooth and without a gritty feeling. Bolt and carrier are solid. Bolt release is stiff and requires good deal of force to release. This aint no Browing Auto 5.

It came with an improved cylinder choke. Pattern at 7 yards with buck was acceptable. Slugs at 25yds were in a 8 in pattern :(

More later after dinner. Tomorrow it will get the target load treatment and we'll see what happens.

No offense, but: I have no clue as to what your post means. What is "machining was better than expected"? Does that mean certain measurements were within specs? Does that mean certain surfaces were true? What does that mean and how can you possibly compare it to a Marlin .22?

You talked about the bbl, but did you measure anything? What is the bore measurement? Was is consistent? What was the constriction if it was supposed to be IC? How long was the chamber? How long was the choke? What was the taper? How long is the forcing cone?

I don't know what an acceptable pattern is with buckshot at 7 yards. Can you expand upon that? 8" groups with slugs at 25 yards is, frankly, pretty poor. It equates to 32" groups at 100 yards. My 100 year old Model 97 will do 3" groups at 50 yards. You would think that a modern gun would do a bit better.

How are you going to measure the "target load treatment"? Pattern density? POI. Pattern percentages?

Gotta say though, that punishing test of a whole 30 shots is, well, different. :lol2:

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    Sorry for the lack of laser precision in my post as I was heading out to dinner. I figured that over time I'd get to all of the specifics. THIS IS A $399 SHOTGUN. Sorry fella. I'm not going to take a set of mics, lasers, and chrono's to the range to let someone who's gray matter is denser than a black thorn know how a cheap shotgun is put together. I'm not into "Can you top this" or "I'm smarter than a 5th grade gunsmith". I bought 30 rounds because that was the amount of change I had in the glove compartment at the time.

To the OP - my sincere apologies. I wanted to pick this up simply because I had the wherewithal to do so and thought it might be fun to kick around and share some thoughts. A little basic information shared among friends helps everyone. I've picked up quite a few techniques on this forum from some well schooled and time tested folks. I appreciate their time in sharing what they've learned. Since the whackjob meter hit defcon 4 I'm done with the thread.

If there is anyone who would like to know how this piece runs over time - OR - if anyone would like to give it a run themselves - PM me and you can try it for yourself. I will be totally honest with what I find out over time.

OUT

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Sorry for the lack of laser precision in my post as I was heading out to dinner. I figured that over time I'd get to all of the specifics. THIS IS A $399 SHOTGUN. Sorry fella. I'm not going to take a set of mics, lasers, and chrono's to the range to let someone who's gray matter is denser than a black thorn know how a cheap shotgun is put together. I'm not into "Can you top this" or "I'm smarter than a 5th grade gunsmith". I bought 30 rounds because that was the amount of change I had in the glove compartment at the time.

To the OP - my sincere apologies. I wanted to pick this up simply because I had the wherewithal to do so and thought it might be fun to kick around and share some thoughts. A little basic information shared among friends helps everyone. I've picked up quite a few techniques on this forum from some well schooled and time tested folks. I appreciate their time in sharing what they've learned. Since the whackjob meter hit defcon 4 I'm done with the thread.

If there is anyone who would like to know how this piece runs over time - OR - if anyone would like to give it a run themselves - PM me and you can try it for yourself. I will be totally honest with what I find out over time.

OUT

Don't mind him, he has nothing better to do than run other people's stuff down. You're not the first one whose had to listen to it. If it continues he won't be a member here much longer anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to do a review. I'm probably going to buy one of these myself.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28

OUT

Sorry we have a few brand snobs around here. I must say he has more experience with and around shotguns than any 20 people around here but he has gotten to the point that if it is not World Class it is beneath recognition. Over the years I have gotten a few steaming piles of gun and taken it as a personal challenge to make them work. Turkish guns have gotten a bad reputation for improperly heat treated critical parts that can and do fail but I hope that has improved and you got a good one. Of course I only paid $400 something for my Mossberg 935 at Wal-Mart and pimped it appropriately.( I did have to drill and short tap an extra gas port to get it to cycle target loads) My Mossberg 835 is a skeet and anything else in front of it hammer and my Stoeger Condor has soldiered on for 20yrs as a double rifle upland game gatherer and clays shooter as well. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a good gun that will serve you well in any role you want.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Don't mind him, he has nothing better to do than run other people's stuff down. You're not the first one whose had to listen to it. If it continues he won't be a member here much longer anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to do a review. I'm probably going to buy one of these myself.

Well, I for one would be sorry to see him removed from this forum, as the individual you are referring to has a wealth of knowledge he freely passes on. I hardly think that "running down" a piece of equipment is the same as a personal attack on someone such as I see daily in the WC.
    As an engineer, I also would like to see measurable data as opposed to anecdotal impressions. However, I realize that not everyone has the ability, the time, or the inclination to make those measurements. If they did they would probably be writing reviews for magazines instead of MDS. So, I always take these kinds of reviews with a large grain of salt.
    As an aside, I bought a Turkish gun that Blackthorne poo-pooed, when I asked about it on MDS. However, it was sold by a major retailer, it came from a noted manufacturer, and for it's intended use it looked ok to me at the time, but it has now been back to the factory for repair twice. In fact, it is there now. I should have listened to what he said.
    So yes, he may come off a little too strongly sometime, but to ban him for that? And as he said "No offense, but:....."

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Well, I for one would be sorry to see him removed from this forum, as the individual you are referring to has a wealth of knowledge he freely passes on. I hardly think that "running down" a piece of equipment is the same as a personal attack on someone such as I see daily in the WC.
    As an engineer, I also would like to see measurable data as opposed to anecdotal impressions. However, I realize that not everyone has the ability, the time, or the inclination to make those measurements. If they did they would probably be writing reviews for magazines instead of MDS. So, I always take these kinds of reviews with a large grain of salt.
    As an aside, I bought a Turkish gun that Blackthorne poo-pooed, when I asked about it on MDS. However, it was sold by a major retailer, it came from a noted manufacturer, and for it's intended use it looked ok to me at the time, but it has now been back to the factory for repair twice. In fact, it is there now. I should have listened to what he said.
    So yes, he may come off a little too strongly sometime, but to ban him for that? And as he said "No offense, but:....."

You must not have seen the other Linberta threads he has TROLLED with success. He must be an expert of insane proportions. Why isn't he head of design for Browning....

People jump on Chad for being honest and blunt but the difference is he doesn't do it like a nay saying jerk. Delivery is key.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    RC-Nobody is banning anyone yet, and I understand your points, but it's getting old. Not just this thread, but others. In this case, we have one poster who actually does as the OP asks and takes the time to go out and review the weapon, comes back and writes a well thought out post based on the results of his own experience, and in return gets a sneering response to include "Gotta say though, that punishing test of a whole 30 shots is, well, different :lol2:" from someone whose apparently never even shot the gun in question.

And now, since the thread request was for actual tests of the shotty the OP was considering purchasing, I'm going to close it as it appears there are no more. If anyone else actually reviews the gun in hand and would like to add their impressions here, please let me know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom