• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    My response from another thread:

If you really look at it, a frame or receiver by itself doesn't even meet the legal definition of a firearm UNTIL it is configured in a way that can expel a projectile. It says "the frame or receiver OF such a weapon" NOT something like 'the frame or receiver that can be used to make such a weapon'.

(h) (1) “Firearm” means:
    (i) a weapon that expels, is designed to expel, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; or
    (ii) the frame or receiver of such a weapon.

Granted the above definition is from Md law but I believe it is word for word the same as the feds. This would apply to 80% and 100% receivers.

This is NOT legal advice just food for thought at this time.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    This is bad. I wonder what EP Armory gave up? It doesn't matter what is right only what ATF is doing. I wonder how far reaching this effect will have on the buyers.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    This is bad. I wonder what EP Armory gave up? It doesn't matter what is right only what ATF is doing. I wonder how far reaching this effect will have on the buyers.

As of right now EP Armory has not given anything up. They got a restraining order or something like that on the ATF holding them off for now. I was thinking about this also..just thinking. If they get a list of buyers and attempt to repo the lowers, how do they go about doing this. These were sold as 80% lowers, which means the owner had to do some work with a dremel or milling machine. Mistakes happen, to deep of a cut, milling machine accidently power feeds, to big of cutter....and the 80% is now scrap and in the trash.....get what im saying....

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    As of right now EP Armory has not given anything up. They got a restraining order or something like that on the ATF holding them off for now. I was thinking about this also..just thinking. If they get a list of buyers and attempt to repo the lowers, how do they go about doing this. These were sold as 80% lowers, which means the owner had to do some work with a dremel or milling machine. Mistakes happen, to deep of a cut, milling machine accidently power feeds, to big of cutter....and the 80% is now scrap and in the trash.....get what im saying....

oh I GET IT...trust me I GET IT.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I read today that the DOJ and ATF are now claiming 80% receivers are firearms in the ARES Armor case.

This is about to get ugly.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go after them for ITAR violations if they are not registered, or go after them for FET Taxes.

FWIW, Im NOT saying I agree with BATFE but anyone who keeps up on current events and has 2 functioning brain cells could have seen this from a mile away.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    Does anyone know if they have an approval letter from atf for the polymer 80% lowers?

I would guess, No

Many who offer 80% forged/billet have a letter for download from thier site or will provide.

Remember the "80" is just a nominal number attached to a hunk of metal that requires 8-10 hours of final machining in order to be concidered a firearm. Its all subjective. This is why having the letter is so important.

I think a couple of things are in play.

1) Ease of completion of a poly 80% (anyone with a $40 dremel can finish)

2) San Diego Libtadian city council harrasment towards Ares about the "sign issue"

You have to give Ares credit. They are making a stand.

glennc75

Jan 28, 2013
    Westminster / Carroll Co
    Saw that video posted by EP Armory on FB. I guess they didn't follow the restraining order. I have no access to the watercooler yet, and EP Armory's statement on FB says a whole lot of nothing. I'm trying to figure out the best course of action for the EP lowers I may or may not have purchased that may or may not have been destroyed while attempting to mill them prior to SB281. I would imagine it would take an enormous effort on the BATFE's part to try and recover even a fraction of the ones that were sold, but it may not be out of the question to get a knock on the door if they did get a customer list.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So serious question: between this, CT, all the executive orders; is this administration actively TRYING to incite a revolt?

I think they are doing everything they can to force the citizenry to fire the first shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom