• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'm wonder if the issue here is that the receivers were initially built to a level greater than 80% (thus illegal) and then "filled" with a different color plastic. This may also be the reason why ARES is not objecting to having the receivers seized.

That's one way, but there could be another way to make that 80% receiver...

Cast the colored trigger pocket first, then insert it into a mold to pour the outside receiver color around it.

I'm wonder if the issue here is that the receivers were initially built to a level greater than 80% (thus illegal) and then "filled" with a different color plastic. This may also be the reason why ARES is not objecting to having the receivers seized.

If that's the case then I can understand the issue.Now I wonder why ATF wants the client/customer list,assuming they didn't know any laws were broken.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Ares is the same shop that has been harassed by the local government to take down their sign because it has an AR15 logo on it. The sign also advertises the 80% lowers, which I think is what is really causing the dust up.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011

Ares Armor main concern is with the privacy rights of thousands of law abiding U.S. citizens being violated by a bunch of jack booted government thugs. The inventory is something that can be replaced however Ares would prefer not to hand them over. Its just that if that is a concession that needs to be made to preserve their customer's privacy right then that is a concession that they will be making via their attorney at the hearing scheduled for the 20th.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009

That ^ is NOT how the parts are made.

That's one way, but there could be another way to make that 80% receiver...

Cast the colored trigger pocket first, then insert it into a mold to pour the outside receiver color around it.

^ this is how the parts are made. The core is a mesh of colored polymer with out kevlar re-enforcement that is put into the mold. THEN the kevlar is put in the mold then the polymer is injected and thermally cured.

I read the deposition for the restraining order and have seen the pocket hollowing out. :innocent0

The ATF knows how the parts are made, but they want to get the list of malcontents.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Just wanted to toss this out. I was completely unaware of this issue until around 8 the night before. My writing is normally better than what you read but I was under serious time constraints.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    As soon as you become aware law enforcement wants a list you have, it becomes destruction of evidence to destroy it.

If you never kept the list to begin with, or destroyed it before the cops asked for it, then it would be fine... But that ship has sailed.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    You're now on a special list......

doublesecretprobation.jpg

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    If you purchased your 80's over the internet then you pretty much expected your privacy to be infringed upon. This is why I would limit what I buy online. There's multiple lists somewhere with a lot of our names on it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Yeah sure. What are you buying those 15 BCGs and 200 PMAGS with?!

Gold Dust :lol2:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    That ^ is NOT how the parts are made.

^ this is how the parts are made. The core is a mesh of colored polymer with out kevlar re-enforcement that is put into the mold. THEN the kevlar is put in the mold then the polymer is injected and thermally cured.

I read the deposition for the restraining order and have seen the pocket hollowing out. :innocent0

The ATF knows how the parts are made, but they want to get the list of malcontents.
    You are correct....

http://aresarmor.com/store/NewsArti..._campaign=13MAR14-ATFdispute&utm_medium=email

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think the ATF is pissed off because the polymer lowers are not one solid color. The fire control group on the lowers in question is color coded to show you where to cut. They also have divots to show you where to drill the hammer and trigger pins. The reason ATF approved 80% lowers are not an issue is because they require a certain skill level and equipment to complete.

Exactly.

ATF is saying these are not 80%'s because they are indexed and the definition of an 80% is no indexing; basically saying these are 81% completed lowers.

They will have a hard time staying out of club fed. ATF will probably demand all the lowers be returned to be destroyed, as they did with the safety sear PSL's.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    This is major badness for all involved. If the indexing issue is indeed correct, did they not issue a letter of compliance to Ares or did Ares not seek it? And if Ares did not have a letter of compliance why did they sell? I can see this being one big mess.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Exactly.

ATF is saying these are not 80%'s because they are indexed and the definition of an 80% is no indexing; basically saying these are 81% completed lowers.

They will have a hard time staying out of club fed. ATF will probably demand all the lowers be returned to be destroyed, as they did with the safety sear PSL's.

What is "indexed"? The hole locations are actually raised nubs and the core for the fire control group is totally removed plus more of the lower body is then also removed after the core is gone.

I had to use a fixture to get mine done... so much for index.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom