• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    Boom Boom said:
    Did you submit your email address to be notified when they get more in? Who knows, they could get more this week. Act fast when you get the email and you can order all you want.

1K bulk
    http://www.natchezss.com/cart.cfm?contentID=availabilityRequest&prodID=FAXM193BK
    20rd boxes
    http://www.natchezss.com/cart.cfm?contentID=availabilityRequest&prodID=FAXM193F

If you need something now, Palmetto has PPU M193 and PMC Bronze 55gr in stock for $6.49/box.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/prvi-partizan-5-56-m193-200rd.html
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/pmc-223a-55gr-fmj-20rd-box.html

Natchez had pmc cheaper. I bought a case last week for like 5.79 a box with 10 or more boxes.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I bought 500 rounds of XM193 from PSA. It's too bad the prices have come up. I'm going to complete my 1,000 round stockpile and then I'm only shooting Wolf/Tula from now on.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    By the way, Natchez is back in stock for the XM193 bulk. It's a bit more expensive, but not too bad.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    By the way, Natchez is back in stock for the XM193 bulk. It's a bit more expensive, but not too bad.

There's also a note on the Natchez webpage for XM193 bulk that says Natchez can't get more until June. Natchez has a new order limit of one 1K box per day.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    There's also a note on the Natchez webpage for XM193 bulk that says Natchez can't get more until June. Natchez has a new order limit of one 1K box per day.

Yeah I noticed. I just couldn't afford 1,000 rounds. From now on its all steel cased for target shooting.

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    My back order has been in since the end of February.
    Just got off the phone with Brownells.
    They are giving no dates and they have no idea of when it will be in.
    :sad20:

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    My back order has been in since the end of February.
    Just got off the phone with Brownells.
    They are giving no dates and they have no idea of when it will be in.
    :sad20:

I placed my order at the end of Feb as well. This morning I was told to expect orders to start being filled around June/July, but that's a guess and it could be longer. If you are waiting around on this stuff you might as well order something else to hold you over.

The way ammo prices have been looking lately, I have no problem waiting considering the price I paid. Reloads will be just fine until I receive my order.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm just waiting it out and buying Brown Bear. The stuff is reasonably cheap, and since I don't shoot much at Freestate anymore, magnetic isn't a problem.

I put in an order for a case of Jack Ross reloaded 9mm... we'll see how it does when it gets here. If I like it, I'll buy a few more, albeit it doesn't seem like 9mm is rising too much in price these days... it's all the M193 that's the problem. (Well, and the Yugo 7.62x39 running out.)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Anyone wish to explain why they are purchasing 193 instead of 855?
    A few reasons:
    1. Cost
    2. 193 is not magnetic (matters for shooting at FreeState)
    3. 193 has increased lethality due to higher velocity (and thus, increased fragmentation)
    4. 193 is slightly more accurate (or so I've heard)

I'm not shooting through cover, a penetrating tip isn't going to help me much.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    A few reasons:
    1. Cost
    2. 193 is not magnetic (matters for shooting at FreeState)
    3. 193 has increased lethality due to higher velocity (and thus, increased fragmentation)
    4. 193 is slightly more accurate (or so I've heard)

I'm not shooting through cover, a penetrating tip isn't going to help me much.

1. Cost is nearly same
    2. Ok.....
    3. False......mil abandoned 193 because it was less lethan than 855
    4. meh

855 was adopted primarily due to better pen/terminal perf

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    1. Cost is nearly same
    2. Ok.....
    4. meh

I've read just about everything I could find concerning 193 vs 855. It seemed like there was a lot more info out there saying 193 is the way to go for the reason erwos mentioned.

All of my info comes from the interwebz so it very well could mean nothing. Do you know of a reliable source comparing the performance of each round. Not trying to say that you aren't a reliable source ;)

dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    Uhhh....I think the rationale behind M855 was that it was available at the time it was brought into service, and of adequate penetration of (70s-era) Russian body armour, esp. at range. It's a Belgian round...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I've read just about everything I could find concerning 193 vs 855. It seemed like there was a lot more info out there saying 193 is the way to go for the reason erwos mentioned.

All of my info comes from the interwebz so it very well could mean nothing. Do you know of a reliable source comparing the performance of each round. Not trying to say that you aren't a reliable source ;)

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

Just one point....

While 5.56 mm 55 gr M193 (FN SS92) was standard in the 1960’s and 1970’s, attempts to
    improve 5.56 mm effectiveness included the XM287 68 gr FMJ and the IWK 77 gr FMJ--both used
    in the Stoner 63 by NSW in Viet Nam; the 54 gr XM777, as well as the SS109 62 gr FMJ
    developed by FN for their Minimi LMG. As we all know, the end result was the 1980 decision to
    adopt the 5.56 mm Minimi as the M249 SAW and the SS109 as the 62 gr FMJ M855 “green-tip”.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    1. Cost is nearly same
    2. Ok.....
    4. meh

No, they went with M855 because they wanted better penetration ability at longer ranges. It had nothing to do with terminal ballistics and lethality. M855 is a poor choice by the military IMHO.

The penetration is marginally better at longer ranges than M855. The tests were to be able to penetrate a helmet at 600 yards. Close range tests have shown that M193 may be better at penetration in close ranges only due to higher velocity. Either way, the penetration difference is marginal.
    M193 is way better at lethality than M855. Regardless of caliber, people should not rely on a magic one hit one kill bullet...however...M855 does not fragment reliably like M193. It is much more likely to just pass through soft tissue due to its design, and M193 is more likely to violently fragment in tissue.

I don't know about you, but the slightly better penetration at long ranges through solid objects isn't something I want if it means losing the fragmenting abilities of M193. I would rather have a round that performs well when hitting the enemy, as opposed to wasting rounds trying to hit them through objects. Also, neither round will penetrate rifle plates...so there is no advantage there.

If you are speaking strictly of lethality...M193 > M855

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    No, they went with M855 because they wanted better penetration ability at longer ranges. It had nothing to do with terminal ballistics and lethality. M855 is a poor choice by the military IMHO.

The penetration is marginally better at longer ranges than M855. The tests were to be able to penetrate a helmet at 600 yards. Close range tests have shown that M193 may be better at penetration in close ranges only due to higher velocity. Either way, the penetration difference is marginal.
    M193 is way better at lethality than M855. Regardless of caliber, people should not rely on a magic one hit one kill bullet...however...M855 does not fragment reliably like M193. It is much more likely to just pass through soft tissue due to its design, and M193 is more likely to violently fragment in tissue.

I don't know about you, but the slightly better penetration at long ranges through solid objects isn't something I want if it means losing the fragmenting abilities of M193. I would rather have a round that performs well when hitting the enemy, as opposed to wasting rounds trying to hit them through objects. Also, neither round will penetrate rifle plates...so there is no advantage there.

If you are speaking strictly of lethality...M193 > M855

Its all pretty well documented

Here's an excellent discussion complete with references.

I'll take the heavier round thats slightly better at longer ranges as well as better penetration

If you're just buying ammo to plink at the range or just in case your neighbors poodle goes rabid one day then does it really matter what you buy?

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...Some-Information-on-M193-amp-M855-5.56mm-Ammo

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Meh....it's a juiced up .22 it doesnt have hitting power like a good .308.

If you going to load up on mil-surplus rounds either will do the job. The difference is marginal.

Start stepping up to SELF DEFENSE rounds in the 70 grain and some better hollow point designs and you have an arguement.

Since they are both cheap I'll stock up on either but I dont expect awesome results from either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom