• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Perused a bit through the old threads about prescription shooting glasses.

Before 2 years ago, I was fine with contacts and just a regular pair of shooting glasses. Unfortunately long story short, I suffered retinal detachments in both eyes, then developed cataracts from treatment, had them removed, blah blah and so on. Now, for the immediate future it seems contacts are no longer viable for me. I went the range friday and tried normal shooting glasses over my progressive, yes it worked but was not very comfortable. I didnt want to just use just my Rx glasses because I paid too much for them to get them potentially messed up, and I liked the larger coverage of shooting glasses.

I see people mention ESS, wiley x, and a few oakley's. My question is, for those that have prescription shooting glasses, do you still like/dislike them since you picked them up? Would you get the same pair over again or try something else? Are there any vendors/stores I can visit to try on a few pairs? Anyone else have other brands/sites they can suggest? Thanks in advance

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Before 2 years ago, I was fine with contacts and just a regular pair of shooting glasses. Unfortunately long story short, I suffered retinal detachments in both eyes, then developed cataracts from treatment, had them removed, blah blah and so on. Now, for the immediate future it seems contacts are no longer viable for me. I went the range friday and tried normal shooting glasses over my progressive, yes it worked but was not very comfortable. I didnt want to just use just my Rx glasses because I paid too much for them to get them potentially messed up, and I liked the larger coverage of shooting glasses.

I see people mention ESS, wiley x, and a few oakley's. My question is, for those that have prescription shooting glasses, do you still like/dislike them since you picked them up? Would you get the same pair over again or try something else? Are there any vendors/stores I can visit to try on a few pairs? Anyone else have other brands/sites they can suggest? Thanks in advance

You just need to get yourself a 2nd pair of single vision glasses that are for distance and use them when shooting. When I shoot I wear my single vision glasses. When I play golf I use my single vision glasses. When I play cards I wear my progressives.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    You just need to get yourself a 2nd pair of single vision glasses that are for distance and use them when shooting. When I shoot I wear my single vision glasses. When I play golf I use my single vision glasses. When I play cards I wear my progressives.

After all that pain and operations the last 2 years, Id like something that gives me z87+ or even the mil spec protection and wide coverage. Just getting another regular pair of vision glasses simply wont give me the satisfaction of knowing my eyes are safer from shooting hazards.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    As much as I don't like Walmart, I actually picked up a pair of the prescription safety / sun glasses that they have. I cant complain, so far so good

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

Honestly, I'd talk to Dr. Alan Toler, in Richmond, VA. He's got a neat kit that lets you fine-tune your prescription to your needs. Then he makes a lens to fit. He's a top-flight shooter in his own right, so he knows your needs.

I shoot the precision disciplines, so I use a pair of Knobloch frames.

Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA

I have a set of regular reading glasses for every day use. Also, have a set of RX safety/shooting glass's when I'm out, having fun. The eye place I go to pulled both of these together. One stop shop. If you have the RX you should be able to find someone to pop in the RX lens into a set of good safety glasses. Wish you the best.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Spoke with Neil Stepp about the ey glass thing. He is a shooter and FFL with a great deal of knowledge on this issue. He told me for iron sights to measure the distance from your eye to the front site. Prescription should be distance + 1/2 diopter. For scopes, just the distance vision lense. He can be reached at 817-595-2090.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Randolph Ranger frames, lenses by Morgan Optical.

The Morgans are shooters, so can point you in the right direction for lens colors. The father was a BIG time trap shooter.

The Randolph Ranger frames have easily interchangeable lenses, and are designed to sit up higher on your face. So the center of the lens is where you are looking when shooting (more towards the top of a normal lens).

My wife and I have been dealing with Morgan for some 20 years, with fast, good service.

I keep 3 colors of lenses. Brown for bright days (brown enhances contrast), Yellow for indoors or overcast days, and Target Purple for clay targets (I shoot mainly sporting clays, if skeet or trap, orange would good).

K3LAG

I use a pair of ESS Crossbow's with the prescription insert. One thing to keep in mind is that with the prescription lens swept back in many full coverage glasses the focus can feel different than your normal glasses. I have the same problem with both my Crossbows and full coverage sun glasses. Once you wear them for a few minutes, the difference goes away, but when you first put them on they may seem odd.

Larry

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County

Just in case you didn't see my previous post on this:

RANGE REPORT/REVIEW ON THESE:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IY8S2U/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just bought a pair of these. Before I did, I went to Walmart and used their "readers" to find the right strength needed to focus on the distance to the front sight (for me that was 1.75). Ordered a pair from Amazon, and took them to the range recently.

Good quality safety glasses...clear, and no distortion. The "prescription" lenses pop into a small hole in the top of the frame. And you can order just these inserts in case your eyes change, or if you want to try another strength. They attach and detach easily. And they don't look as dorky as you might think.

With these, my sight alignment/sight picture was vastly improved. Sharp focus on front sight, target blurred enough not to be a distraction.

A note on that last point: I have better than 20/20 in my dominant (right) eye, but need readers to see close (result of aging eyes and new lens from cataract surgery) so without these, the target was always in sharp focus, and the front sight was always blurred. I was also "peeking" at the target after the shot to see where the shots hit. Not a formula for success, as I proved to myself (poor grouping and off-target).

Now, I can concentrate on keeping focused on the front sight and letting it return from recoil and shooting from reset.

I can report significantly better groupings/accuracy...not good enough, so more range visits will be necessary. :D

I would highly recommend these if you are a bifocal wearer, or are having difficulty staying focused on the front sight.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Here's my "redneck" contribution:

Smith & Wesson safety glasses + +1.0 readers + a dab of silicone = $8.00 spent.

If I could have found cheap +0.75, I would have gone with those but these work fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0702.JPG
      IMG_0702.JPG
      45.1 KB · Views: 543

chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    I where prescription safety glasses are a pretty regular basis if you are looking for a cheaper route but still quality I suggest
    http://www.rx-safety.com that's where I get mine quick turn around and the price was right
    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Just in case you didn't see my previous post on this:

A note on that last point: I have better than 20/20 in my dominant (right) eye, but need readers to see close (result of aging eyes and new lens from cataract surgery) so without these, the target was always in sharp focus, and the front sight was always blurred. I was also "peeking" at the target after the shot to see where the shots hit. Not a formula for success, as I proved to myself (poor grouping and off-target).

Now, I can concentrate on keeping focused on the front sight and letting it return from recoil and shooting from reset.

I can report significantly better groupings/accuracy...not good enough, so more range visits will be necessary. :D

I would highly recommend these if you are a bifocal wearer, or are having difficulty staying focused on the front sight.

That is pretty much what happens to me. But, im only 24 and had surgeries on both eyes. Left eye is geared for distance and right eye for intermediate. Due to the retinal detachments, my right eye has pinched vision and both eyes lack contrast/sharpness even after cataract surgery. I require progressives to clean up my distance and to give me reading vision. Bifocals would make my eyes jump between 2 extremes.

To everyone else, I see a lot of mention of safety glasses. Ill research more about using those. I was really looking into z87+ or milspec grade protection. But it is great Im getting info on other choices I didnt consider as options. Thanks and keep the opinions coming

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If the frames/lenses are not designed for shooting, you will be looking through the wrong part of the lenses.

Normal glasses/lenses are designed to look straight ahead with your head fully erect. In shooting you typically duck your head and look out of the top of the glasses.

Bullseye pistol is about the only shooting that comes to mind that normal glasses will work fine for. One friend, actually took his bullseye gun to the optometrist to have his glasses set up for focusing precisely at the front sight distance. Talk to YOUR optometrist before doing this. :)

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    If the frames/lenses are not designed for shooting, you will be looking through the wrong part of the lenses.

Normal glasses/lenses are designed to look straight ahead with your head fully erect. In shooting you typically duck your head and look out of the top of the glasses.

Bullseye pistol is about the only shooting that comes to mind that normal glasses will work fine for. One friend, actually took his bullseye gun to the optometrist to have his glasses set up for focusing precisely at the front sight distance. Talk to YOUR optometrist before doing this. :)

Hm, ill consider that. Now thinking about it, I have a feeling the reason why I cant see my front sights or even rear sight is because of my lack of contrast. It is true about ducking your head, but for me right eye is geared intermediate and left for distance. Practicing at home in a well lit area I able to obtain a clear image of my front and rear sight, via my right eye and 25ft or so with my left eye. I just have to train my brain to switch between the two eyes to get the complete picture.

Since I forsee myself shooting in an indoor range, Im considering about getting a set of high contrast sights. For shooting eye glasses ive decided to try out an inexpensive pair that fit over my glasses.

This is the one I'm considering: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/sg-37c.html
    Passes ansi z87.1-2010 and MIL PRF-31013. All under 10 bucks after shipping. Since I already have progressive and transitions, if i shoot outdoors, I can just utilize my normal glasses within these.

I was really considering ESS' cross series or ice series with a uRx insert. But being just a casual shooter for now, I can survive a bit on a cheaper pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom