• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Purchase to buy an handgun is just like this ..

Maryland is using the Ron Popeil's method

"Set it and forget it" (paperwork and pay it)
    and
    "But Wait" (always delaying the paperwork more than 8 days to pick up your gun)
    The last time, my paperwork was "not disaproved" in 4 days.
    Had to wait another 4 days for pick-up! :sad20:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If the records are public, why do you need to sign a waver?

Got a copy of the paper to look at? Whats it actually say? How do they contact your Dr if you don't even give them the Dr's name or anything? And wouldn't your Dr have to also do legal stuff to release it to them? No private Dr is just going to hand it over unless some criminal act has been committed and its relevant to the case. Now sure, some gov't agency has some file on me with every single juicy detail LOL, so the MSP can get whatever info they want anyway. I guess I better make a tinfoil hat.

Lennyjoe

Sep 22, 2007
    Hagerstown
    DD214 is in hand. Keystone sells long guns and does a $20 ffl transfer for long guns from out of state but doesn't handle handguns. Checked on that just in case I purchase over the internet.

Also, I have about 25 guns holed up at my brothers house in WVA. Any reason why I can't bring them here? Nothing too evil other than a dressed up Oly AR-15.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Got a copy of the paper to look at? Whats it actually say? How do they contact your Dr if you don't even give them the Dr's name or anything? And wouldn't your Dr have to also do legal stuff to release it to them? No private Dr is just going to hand it over unless some criminal act has been committed and its relevant to the case. Now sure, some gov't agency has some file on me with every single juicy detail LOL, so the MSP can get whatever info they want anyway. I guess I better make a tinfoil hat.

Maryland State Police
    Authorization for Release of Information to
    Purchase a Regulated Firearm
    Instructions: Submit this form with the form MSP 77R Part 1 and Part 2
    Application Tracking #_____________ (Located in Red on the Top Right of form MSP 77R– 2)
    I, _________________________________________________________________________
    (Last Name) (First Name) (Middle Name)
    Race:_______________ Sex: Male Female Date of Birth:________________
    Social Security # _______________________________
    Home Address:______________________________________________________________
    whether I suffer from a mental disorder as defined in § 10-101(f)(2) of the Health--General
    Article and have a history of violent behavior against anyone; or whether I have been confined
    for more than 30 consecutive days to a mental health facility as defined in § 10-101 of the
    Health--General Article.
    I acknowledge that this information will be used, solely as part of the investigation required by
    Title 5, Subtitle 1 of the Public Safety Article, Annotated Code of Maryland, to determine my
    eligibility to possess a regulated firearm. In the event that my application to purchase a regulated
    firearm is disapproved, I acknowledge that this authorization and any information obtained via
    this authorization may be used in any proceeding relating to such disapproval.
    I further acknowledge that I may at any time, except to the extent that the Department of State
    Police has already taken action in reliance on it, revoke this authorization by submitting a request
    for revocation in writing. If not previously revoked, this authorization will terminate one year
    after the date I sign this application or upon notification to me of the denial of this application,
    whichever occurs first.
    ________________________________________ _______________________
    (Signature) (Date)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    DD214 is in hand. Keystone sells long guns and does a $20 ffl transfer for long guns from out of state but doesn't handle handguns. Checked on that just in case I purchase over the internet.

Also, I have about 25 guns holed up at my brothers house in WVA. Any reason why I can't bring them here? Nothing too evil other than a dressed up Oly AR-15.

The ONLY guns that you cannot bring into MD are these pistols:

An assault pistol is defined as any of the following specified firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured the firearm:
    AA Arms AP-9 semi-automatics
    Bushmaster semi-automatic pistol;
    Claridge HI-TEC, semi-automatic pistol;
    D Max Industries semi-automatic pistol;
    Encom MK-IV, MP-9, MP-45 semi-automatic pistols;
    Heckler and Koch semi-automatic pistol SP-89;
    Holmes MP-83 semi-automatic pistol;
    Ingram MAC 10/11 semi-automatic pistol and any variation including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;
    Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 in any centerfire variation;
    P.A.W.S. type semi-automatic pistol;
    Skorpion semi-automatic pistol;
    Spectre double action semi-automatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);
    UZI semi-automatic pistol;
    Weaver Arms semi-automatic Nighthawk pistol; and
    Wilkinson semi-automatic "Linda" pistol.

Everything else is legal in MD, but if you have full auto then you must register it with the state. Note, almost all the "assault pistols" in the list above apply to semi auto versions. The full auto versions seem to be legal in MD if registered.

You do not have to register semi auto long guns, regulated long guns, or handguns you bring into the state because registration is mandatory (except for full auto). YOu do not have to register "class III" (Title II/NFA) devices that are not full auto with the state and are legal here as long they are registered with the feds. The only NFA device that is not legal in MD is explosive Destructive Devices (like exploding grenades, mines, bombs, exploding mortar rounds, IEDs, thermobaric fuel-air bombs, daisy cutters, blockbusters, Scud missile warheads, etc. To have those you have to go to VA.)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

I called the licensing division when we came here and asked about registration of handguns previously owned in another state and the trooper said, "Registration is voluntary......but I can't see why anyone would do that."

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    As long as the hangun topic is on a roll...

If I buy a used handgun on the internet what do I need to know in advance? (things I think but don't know)

1) it has to be on the "List"

2) I don't need a shell casing

3) are there pistol magazine restrictions?

Thanks,

Dave

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    1- It must be on the approved handgun roster if it was made after 1984.

2- The shell casing requirement is for new pistols only.

3- There's a 20 round limit for magazines in Maryland. You may POSSESS magazines over 20 rounds, you just may not purchase or transfer them within the state.

Before you click "BUY" or bid on a used pistol, always clear it with your intended FFL first!

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    As long as the hangun topic is on a roll...

If I buy a used handgun on the internet what do I need to know in advance? (things I think but don't know)

1) it has to be on the "List"

2) I don't need a shell casing

3) are there pistol magazine restrictions?

Thanks,

Dave

Make sure it's not an "assault pistol." Also make sure said pistol is on the stupid handgun roster.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'm looking for a beretta 92 of some sort and they have the lovely 15 round magazines....

I'd like to find a vertec of possible....

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace

Sounds like public records to me, doesn't say anything about personal Dr's and private records of personal private Dr's, unless your Dr submitted something to an agency such as you being obsessed with violence or something that concerns your doc enough to submit such info, if a private Dr can even do that without the patients approval, which I would think would be needed in writing, otherwise a patient can sue the ass off the Dr. I know when I had a therapist I had to sign something about how she could report me to the police if I told her I was going hurt/kill someone/go on a shooting spree, etc/ stating I intend violent actions/or intended to kill myself. However my private Dr never had me do any such form, and I never stated any such things to my therapist where she had to actually contact authorities on me. Heck I never had any feelings of ill will when I saw her anyway. She was a bit after the fact( I had already been on antidepressants for about a year), and was for me sorting through general problems and coping with the dying and death of my "open carry" dog that had protected me in the city. Eventually she told me I didn't seem to have any more problems and I ended the sessions.

On the ccw form, it does have the question of if you have been diagnosed with any mental disorder and has a release for private medical records- it actually says "private". I find it intrusive and it pissed my mother off too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom