• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    How old are you?

Long story short: I'm not 21 yet and therefore cannot buy a "regulated weapon" which happens to includes AR-15's (except for the Colt HBAR Sporter) in this nazi state we live in. Though I can't buy them, can I borrow my dads? For example, can I bring his AR-15 to the range without him or anyone over 21 present if I have his expressed parental permission?

Different thread

RnRFreak

Forum Cartoon Character
    Mar 3, 2007
    Overlea
    I picked up a DTI HBAR a couple months ago for $860. I thought it was a good price for what I was getting and dropped a few more bucks on some extras and now its my favorite rifle.

I think for a starter to the AR platform its a good choice. It worked for me!

Everyone tosses around the term milspec. Very few ARs built today by anyone are truly and completely milspec.

Colt 6920 is fully milspec - regulated though.

Alot of manufacturers claim milspec. The reality is otherwise.

There is a great article in the September 2010 Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement on this very subject. Written by Rob SLoyer creator of the famous "chart".

Also, to build a quality AR with milspec parts its going to cost more than a complete gun. We dont buy in bulk. Any idiot can clip on an upper to a lower. Building an AR is assembling the whole thing the correct way part by part.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Everyone tosses around the term milspec. Very few ARs built today by anyone are truly and completely milspec.

Colt 6920 is fully milspec - regulated though.

Alot of manufacturers claim milspec. The reality is otherwise.

There is a great article in the September 2010 Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement on this very subject. Written by Rob SLoyer creator of the famous "chart".

Also, to build a quality AR with milspec parts its going to cost more than a complete gun. We dont buy in bulk. Any idiot can clip on an upper to a lower. Building an AR is assembling the whole thing the correct way part by part.

Canuck,

What do you think of BCM?

From my reading of "The Chart," it would seem that BCM is the same as colt (better if you count the warranty) and costs less.

Canuck,

What do you think of BCM?

From my reading of "The Chart," it would seem that BCM is the same as colt (better if you count the warranty) and costs less.

Paul Buffoni builds good shit. BCM uppers are 100% milspec in every sense of the word.

If i didnt prefer "canuck-spec" and build my own I would buy BCM.

I just built 2 sprs for 2 local guys. Both rifle length gas 18" guns. I used bcm SS barrels and BCM bcgs. I like a rigid billet upper such as Larue or the VLTOR MUR for sprs - less flex.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Paul Buffoni builds good shit. BCM uppers are 100% milspec in every sense of the word.

If i didnt prefer "canuck-spec" and build my own I would buy BCM.

I just built 2 sprs for 2 local guys. Both rifle length gas 18" guns. I used bcm SS barrels and BCM bcgs. I like a rigid billet upper such as Larue or the VLTOR MUR for sprs - less flex.

Sounds sweet. I'm still debating what to put on the lower I just assembled, BCM or LWRCI (don't mind me, I drink the piston flavoraid).

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL

Meh.... Mispec, a spec of known quality built by the lowest bidder.... I'd be happy to have my old sabre back.. But if I have to go with another AR, it's going to be from a custom builder.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Meh.... Mispec, a spec of known quality built by the lowest bidder.... I'd be happy to have my old sabre back.. But if I have to go with another AR, it's going to be from a custom builder.

I think the issue isn't whether milspec is the best or not (I went over this with the OP in another thread), because there are clearly things out there better than milspec, but milspec is, as you said, a known quality, and people should use it as a baseline, not as a ceiling.

I think the issue isn't whether milspec is the best or not (I went over this with the OP in another thread), because there are clearly things out there better than milspec, but milspec is, as you said, a known quality, and people should use it as a baseline, not as a ceiling.

Exactly. There is no issue with exceeding the baseline. This is why I build my own. They exceed milspec.

mediocrity just isnt good enough. there are plenty of "hobby" makers out there and too damn few professional grade builders.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I didn't realize I left out the fact that I needed an HBAR rifle. Sorry about that. I'm 19. Right now I think I'm going with the bushmaster so far.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Where in his original post does it say he's not 21??

Sorry, in a different thread the OP had a bunch of questions about age and regulated firearms. Some folks who posted in that thread answered the OP in this thread as well, some folks, like you, are new to his dilemma.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I didn't realize I left out the fact that I needed an HBAR rifle. Sorry about that. I'm 19. Right now I think I'm going with the bushmaster so far.

There is nothing that stops you from buying a nice Bushy or Del-Ton now and then saving for a very serious rifle and handgun for when you turn 21.

That gives you time to read about the different makers, maybe try a few guns and plan the purchase.

Justpassing

Anti-Anti-Gun
    There is nothing that stops you from buying a nice Bushy or Del-Ton now and then saving for a very serious rifle and handgun for when you turn 21.

That gives you time to read about the different makers, maybe try a few guns and plan the purchase.

Oh? so your saying that the HBAR and other not so fancy AR15's as "non serious"?:rolleyes:
    (kidding, just playing with how you worded it)
    5.56 bullet throw is a 5.56 bullet thrower.

but higher quality and over all better performing ones cost more and more likely than not, are regulated.

;)

Oh? so your saying that the HBAR and other not so fancy AR15's as "non serious"?:rolleyes:
    (kidding, just playing with how you worded it)
    5.56 bullet throw is a 5.56 bullet thrower.

but higher quality and over all better performing ones cost more and more likely than not, are regulated.

;)

i agree with the bullet thrower comment for the first shot. after that all bets are off.

The best bet for the OP is to by the bushy or a colt hbar and get comfortable with the system. He can buy a serious rifle in 2 years.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Sorry, in a different thread the OP had a bunch of questions about age and regulated firearms. Some folks who posted in that thread answered the OP in this thread as well, some folks, like you, are new to his dilemma.

No worries I was just like what the heck is mike talking about how does he know by his post he's under 21?:D

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Has anyone with a Del-Ton subjected it to some abuse like a carbine course that making you fire a couple thousand? Just wondering how prone it is to FTF and FTE under those conditions.

Same with bushmaster...

Also, if I ever wanted to upgrade an AR, couldn't I just use the Del-Ton lower and get a better upper? I've heard that uppers are what matters most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom