Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading

Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Deep Creek Rock
.._. .._ _._. _._ .._

Hodgdon Q&A On Powder Shortage

Dont know if anyone had seen this yet, but there was a note on Hodgdons website, about the current state of powder suppy.

Here is what it reads:

Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders?
As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components – including all Hodgdon powders – are hard to find.
Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from
Hodgdon.
Q: Are you still making powders?
A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is
available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all
ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make
enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.
Q: Are you still in business?
A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealer’s
shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealer’s stores.
Q: What is causing this high demand?
A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working
shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty
shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices.
Q: I have seen/heardmany rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage.
A: If you do not hear it from Hodgdon Powder Company please don’t believe it.
Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition
manufacturing companies?
A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our
powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.
Q: When will I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into
our backlog.

Deep Creek Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Buff7mm
Hooligan #69

I need some HP-38 and some 4895, hopefully it gets better soon.

“The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.” James Earl Jones
Buff7mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #3
Pinecone

If you load HP-38, also look for WW 231. They are the same powder, both are made by Hodgdon, it just depends on what label goes on the container.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Marauder
Wheelgun addict

I'm sure glad I stocked up when I did.

Old February 24th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #5
EL1227
MSI Executive Member

My latest has been backordered for over a month now.

NRA Member
GOA Member
NAGR Member
SAF Member
MSRPA Member
JPFO Member
NSSF Member
TAKE BACK MARYLAND
MSI Executive Member
Utah CCW
MD Designated Collector
EL1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #6
byf43
SCSC Life/NRA Endowment

Watch Natchez Shooters Supply and Midsouth Shooters Supply, daily.
I stumbled upon W748 - in stock.

Also, Powder Valley has been getting powder(s) in, regularly.
H-4895 was in stock, last week.

The key to getting powder, is keeping an eye on the site(s) and not hesitating to buy.

...In the Second Amendment or firearms freedom context, the phrase expresses the notion that the person uttering the phrase is a strong believer in these ideals and will not surrender their firearms to anyone, including governmental authority.
Glock Certified Armorer
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Deep Creek Rock
.._. .._ _._. _._ .._

The only problem with Powder Valley & Natchez etc, is that you get hit with a high Hazmat fee. You ended up paying twice as much for powder, unless your able to do a bulk order. Powder Valley is on a LONG backup for orders, about a month behind. Im pretty sure Natchez, and all the other online suppliers are on a similar response.

FWIW, I would check out of state reloading suppliers-brick & mortar shops. They seem to be faring better then, shops in Maryland at the moment.

Deep Creek Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #8
WheelHead
Head of the wheel

Old thread but apparently it still has not gotten any better. I just spent the last few hours both online searching and calling locally for Varget and large rifle primers and I just get laughed at. Parts of the issue is the damn scalpers!
WheelHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #9
stu929
M1 Addict

I know where varget and 4895 is but you are quite a ways away.

In need of reloading components? 175gr SMK's for sale!
http://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassifi...do=ad&id=20794
stu929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #10
fabsroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu929 View Post
Do you know where there are 4 pound containers of Hodgdon Clays? This stuff is insane. Might have to switch back to Alliant at this rate.

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #11
WheelHead
Head of the wheel

Quote:
I don't even mind paying the hazmatt fee at this point as long as they arnt trying to sell one pounders for 40 bucks.
Old January 10th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #12
Rregdab

Quote:
Might that be on rte 632???

Old January 11th, 2014, 05:41 AM   #13
Pinecone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsroman View Post
Do you know where there are 4 pound containers of Hodgdon Clays? This stuff is insane. Might have to switch back to Alliant at this rate.
Clays will be a while. The plant burned down last year.

From May 2013:

Quote:
"Received a call today from Frank at GNG. He talked to Hodgdon today and the powder factory in Australia did burn down. That particular factory is the one that makes all the shotgun powders. So that's not good news for shotgun reloaders."
Quote:
Just spoke to a major midwest distributor today about the Hodgdon fire issue. According to them, it was indeed a fire, but only in one machine that processed Clays and International Clays. Nothing else. So... they say don't look for those powders for over a year. Other Hodgdon powders are still in their "high demand stage" of availability, and nothing more.
Old January 11th, 2014, 05:42 AM   #14
Pinecone

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelHead View Post
Old thread but apparently it still has not gotten any better. I just spent the last few hours both online searching and calling locally for Varget and large rifle primers and I just get laughed at. Parts of the issue is the damn scalpers!
Varget comes in batches. It is made in Australia and there are only a few ships that can bring it across the ocean. So a bunch shows up, is available for a while, then it is gone for a while.

Because of this, people buy a good bit when they find it. You have to keep looking, and eventually, it will be available. But act quickly, it sells out quickly.

The same with H4895.
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #15
fabsroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Clays will be a while. The plant burned down last year.

From May 2013:
Heard about the plant problem on a retailer's website. Had no idea it was May 2013 though. Wonder if they will have the stuff available this spring/summer.

You would think they would be able to replace the machine rather quick and keep producing the powder. It also seems insane that all the Clays line of powders comes from a single machine.

At this point, I would lean toward an entire plant producing the Clays line of powders and the entire plant burning down, but what the heck do I know about powder production? NADA

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #16
WheelHead
Head of the wheel

The demand is not going anywhere! They should ramp up production ...equipment .....personel. The money will be there for the long haul. They could make a killing if they would get their shit together.
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #17
bbarrows32
Golf Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelHead View Post
The demand is not going anywhere! They should ramp up production ...equipment .....personel. The money will be there for the long haul. They could make a killing if they would get their shit together.
Agreed...at least until the demand drops

bbarrows32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #18
Pinecone

As with many industries, you probably can't just order a new powder machine and have it delivered in a few weeks.

They are likely custom made each. And the company that makes them, makes other things.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading