• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I am slowly putting together a decent collection of vintage American rimfires and really enjoy shooting them. Have managed to add period correct scopes to a couple that really adds to the enjoyment of these fine rifles.
    I have found they are as accurate as anything made today and if you buy right will only go up in value. Another plus is they are full sized rifles weighing in the 8 to 10lb range.
    Here they are so far, a Remington 513t from 1946, has it's original Redfield sights and a Unertl 14x Target scope. Target is a 100yd target.
    IMG_1491_zpsba0ce88a.jpg

IMG_1504_zps3b12ef27.jpg

Next is a Winchester Model 75 from 1941, just added a Lyman Super Targetspot 20X to it and starting to see some very good 100yd groups,
    IMG_1512_zps4ab03957.jpg

IMG_1553_zps1b08b358.jpg

Next a Remington 40 XB that I just found a Lyman 20X Perma Center scope for, looking to be a very good shooter,
    IMG_1531_zps43e08445.jpg

IMG_1534_zps6768d0f1.jpg

Damifinowfish just built a nice challenging 100yd steel target for me,
    IMG_1560_zps6965cb4a.jpg

Shooting at that small target will really teach you breathing and how to squeeze a trigger.
    I've got another one coming in a couple weeks,just won an auction for an original 1949 Winchester Model 75 Sporting rifle, vey hard to find in good original condition.
    Anyone else shooting the American classic's? Post up some pics, I love seeing these rifles.

Last edited:

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Dan, thats a nice one, hard to find these rifles in great shape as they were used hard over the years.

Dan_G

Feb 20, 2013
    Frederick ,MD
    My grandpa bought it new sometime after getting out of the reserves and it wasn't shot from 1956 until this summer when he gave it to me.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Augie,

Thanks for the pics...nice collection! I went down a similar path when my son started shooting NRA Smallbore. I've kept most of mine with the precision aperture sights, like the Redfield. Here's a listing of my collection:

-- Remington 513 T: mounting a Redfield International rear and Smallbore hooded front sight
    -- Winchester 75T: Redfield 75 rear
    -- Winchester 69A: Redfield 75 rear
    -- Winchester 52C: The queen of the fleet, with Redfield International rear and Smallbore front sights. The Micromotion trigger is simply awesome--best American trigger...ever!
    -- H&R M12: I currently have the Vianni scope mount on it, but also have Redfield target sighs should I want to change it back. I really wish there were a solution to the 4x4 timber that it wears as a stock!

And in the other-than-American category, we have:
    -- CZ-452 Scout: his first Smallbore rifle, mounting a Williams FP rear and an adapted Redfield globe front. Very accurate rifle for such a short barrel.
    -- Izhmash CM-2 Youth (bought when he outgrew the CZ)
    -- Anschutz 1407 (bought when he outgrew the CM-2. This one is vintage 1976, but the bore is still perfect and shoots the same. The Anschutz trigger is simply amazing.)

And of course we have a couple of 10/22s:
    -- Mine: heavy barrel with compensator. Evolution stock. Scoped for old eyes
    -- His: Bought for Appleseed and fun shooting. 22" inch stainless version, with Tech-Sights

And finally one non-bolt-gun:
    -- Marlin 39a Century: manufactured in 1972. Purchased in unfired condition from a MDShooters forum member. I'm planning to mount Skinner, or some other aperture rear sights on it, replacing the buckhorn sight.

JoeR

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    What an extremely cool collection. I really like those vintage, period-correct optics.

This is a good reminder of why, in a world of EBRs with 250 round drum mags, lights, lasers and freaking toaster ovens hanging off the side of them, there is much to be said for the simple essence of the sport.

These are the kind of guns that just boil it all down. Making a ragged hole with a .22 at 100 yards, just you and the weapon working together - it doesn't get much better than that.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I got my dad's collection when he passed on. It's the guns I used when I was a kid in the town sponsored rifle club. When the town closed the club, dad baught some of the guns. He also had some of his own before the club closed down.

Mossberg 144LSA with a cut down stock.
    Winchester 75 Target also with a cut down stock
    both these came from the club.

Winchester 52B with Redfield International rear and Olympic front sights (my sister lost the scope for this after dad passed away)
    and for a hand gun, Hi Standard LW-100 Flight King.

Lots of rimfire fun!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    JoeR, you have a great collection going, a 52C is on my list,just waiting for the right one. I also have all the original aperature sights for these rifles, not mush differance in accuracy with the 40X using Redfield olympic sights.
    AlpineDude67, you described it well, there is something about getting in a zone and really shooting for accuracy at 100yds,if you can do well with a 22 at 100 you can shoot just about anything.
    Dgapilot, really good to see you that you have your Dads rifles,they are good rifles and coming from your Dad makes them all the more special, shame about the scope but correct scopes are not that hard to find,just pricey. That 52B would sure look and shoot well with a Unertl sitting on top.
    Great to see other forum members enjoying the vintage guns.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    JoeR, you have a great collection going, a 52C is on my list,just waiting for the right one. I also have all the original aperature sights for these rifles, not mush differance in accuracy with the 40X using Redfield olympic sights.

Augie,

Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than smart. First bit of luck was that my son was getting involved in Smallbore training/competition at the same time that the CMP started selling off old .22 Target and Match rifles that had been loaned out to various college shooting programs. Then, when they announced that they were selling off a bunch of Winchester 52C and -D models, I Fedex'ed a check the same day the email arrived. I ended up being one of about lucky 100 people to get a 52C.

When mine came through the metal was nice, but stock was in pretty rough shape. At that time Reese Surplus had 52C stocks available, so I bought one to replace the one on my rifle. However, it needed a small repair near the receiver ring where a splinter of walnut had been split off. I epoxied another sliver of walnut into place and then trimmed it to the old stock line. Except for a short, dark line of the epoxy, it's not noticeable ...and nobody would pick up on it unless pointed out.

With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had also picked up a 52D and a Remington 40-X. The prices were quite reasonable, and the re-sale value is far higher than the original cost should I ever wish to sell any of them. Also, I am very glad I bought the repeater. For casual shooting, I prefer the magazine of the C. I can't believe it's any less accurate than a D. And, both Winchester models have the MicroMotion trigger.

More broadly, with the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had bought at least one of everything that the CMP was selling "back in the day"! Besides the 52d and 40-X, I should have picked up a '03 Springfield, 1917 Enfield, a Krag, and a Kimber. In every way, they are tangible pieces of American history.

JoeR

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I ordered two Kimbers from the CMP 2 weeks ago just as they took them off the for sale list, I hope I made the cut off. Years ago I bought my son a Winchester 52 C when he was in the rifle club and my brother recently wrote that he wants my son to have our dads 52 sporter (it is from before they added letters) all original two owners Dad and my older brother.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Blacksmith101, that would be a hell of a gift from your brother, keeping the family legacy alive. I've done the same with my younger brother, giving him the Mossberg 144 that we shot the Junior NRA with when we were growing up, I hope he passes it on to his boys, my godson and nephew.
    Precision smallbore shooting used to be practiced by adults and children, shame it seems to be fading away, glad some of the AGC clubs are teaching it and keeping it alive.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    I have a few older rimfires, mostly single shots and rimfires. I shoot all of them but the .25 cal and the small engraved 22. I have a few more old .22 revolvers from the early to mid 1900's.

Last edited:

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Metalman,

Seeing your collection brings up a couple other points.

The first .22 pistol I ever fired was an old Iver Johnson Super Sealed 8 break-open revolver at the Anacostia Naval Air Station's indoor 50ft range. Unfortunately, he sold it decades ago before my firearms interest re-ignited. Now that I've got a C&R, I'm on the search to find one for myself. It doesn't have to be "cherry". In fact, my preference would be for a nice clean "shooter" to have some fun with...for old times' sake.

I also love falling-block single shot rifles. I have a repro Winchester 1885 High Wall in 45-70 that's a real hoot. I'm ready should the buffalo invade Anne Arundel County! Next, however, I'd like to find a Low-Wall in another caliber. It could be rimfire, but I've also thought about finding a repro chambered in .45 Colt, since I re-load that for Cowboy Action Shooting.

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom