• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    As previously mentioned in the PGS thread I started, I won't be able to build a 1911 as my second project in 4th. There was a vendor at a gun show with a couple of stripped down Remington '03a3 receivers, so I decided to pick one up. With regards to the guidelines for our projects in 4th, we have to have something to get a drill and tap grade with (most of the instructors have a great hatred for anything and everything regarding mosins, so they're not an option). Since my options are somewhat limited, I've decided that I'd like to make an '03a4 out of my Remington action. The biggest problem so far has been tracking down the mount and rings for the scope. Does anyone know where I can find them? Is there anything else I need to look out for in this soon-to-be endeavor?

Have some pictures of what I've got so far!

IMG_1089_zps2ce56202.jpg

IMG_1090_zps9c4c97a6.jpg

03_zpsba95bedc.jpg

033_zps3866bb69.jpg

032_zpsc7404ab2.jpg

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Best bet? get the combination package from the cmp when they have it available or go to Old western scrounger/gibbs.

The mounts are not perfect but they work. You could also hunt down an OLD redfield base (not the new ones, the new ones are the "imperfect" ones)

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Best bet? get the combination package from the cmp when they have it available or go to Old western scrounger/gibbs.

The mounts are not perfect but they work. You could also hunt down an OLD redfield base (not the new ones, the new ones are the "imperfect" ones)

Just scooped up an old mount off ebay, now I just need the rings :D What makes the new ones "imperfect"?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The usgi 03a3 scope mount (base) is offset. The rear of the scope base is not centered on the receiver.

The original rear sight base does not go all the way across the receiver- if you look at the last picture you can see where they milled off part of it to make room for the cutoff. Early production receivers had a full width rear sight base but this took extra cuts and a tool change that were eliminated to reduce production costs..

Apparently the chinese engineers thought that the one they were reverse engineering was bent so they straightened it out.

speaking of bending....are you going to do the bolt handle yourself?

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    speaking of bending....are you going to do the bolt handle yourself?

Yeah, I'll more than likely be doing that. There's no way I could pony up the kinda money I've seen people asking for what are supposedly original '03a4 bolts...hell, I've even seen people asking a lot for repros.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    This 1903A4 will motivate you. Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• 1411781079342.jpg
      1411781079342.jpg
      44.1 KB · Views: 180
    • 1411780646553.jpg
      1411780646553.jpg
      44.9 KB · Views: 172
    • 1411780914462.jpg
      1411780914462.jpg
      28.5 KB · Views: 170

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    notice the mix of blued and parked parts in the photo. That's what you are looking for in a factory finish.

All parked would be correct for a gun that has been ovehauled.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    These guys may what you need:

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/

I actually got all the parts for the action from them. They had the scope and mounting hardware as a package deal listed as AVAILABLE, I went ahead and ordered it back on the third, only to discover they removed that option (as well as the scope was being sold as a stand-alone item as well) altogether from their site day or so after I placed my order. An email and quick phone call later (last monday) and it turns out they didn't have the scope and stuff in stock anymore. I won't go into details over it, but the long story short, I sent an email yesterday asking to cancel that order. I went ahead and tracked down an original redfield base as well as original rings. Now alls I need is the scope.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Get a Minelli C stock. They are really well made and are basically a drop in fit.

I'll keep that in mind. Given that this will be one of my projects in 4th, I'll be making a stock for it. I'll have it looking the part sometime down the road :D

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Figure I'll go ahead and ask, but does anyone here have any experience (or know of anyone) when it comes to bending '03 bolt handles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom