Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)

Old December 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Fodder4Thought
New Dad!!

Cut/Demilled Receivers

So, what's the story with cut receivers?

If I find, for example, a parts kit that comes with everything and the receiver has been cut, is it legal to reweld that receiver into its original configuration (or a semi-auto version, anyway)?
Fodder4Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Markp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrson View Post
So, what's the story with cut receivers?

If I find, for example, a parts kit that comes with everything and the receiver has been cut, is it legal to reweld that receiver into its original configuration (or a semi-auto version, anyway)?
Yes and no.

You can reweld a cut receiver but only after it has been first modified not to be able to accept parts to make it full auto. You cannot reweld it so that it can in any way accept the parts to go full auto.

Properly demilled receivers are considered scrap metal and rewelded receivers that have been properly demilled are considered new US parts. Receivers that were not properly demilled are still considered machine guns. So be careful and make sure you purchase one that was properly demilled.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #3
crfakm4
hotel z71

This an example of what you asked. I had this kit rewelded to semi auto configuration.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson
crfakm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Fodder4Thought
New Dad!!

Wow. That looks pretty sweet.

How much did that run you, if you don't mind me asking?
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #5
mikec

With some guns, such as FALs, you can't use the cut receivers because ATF considered them a machine gun. They say "once a machine gun, always a machine gun." Some guns also were built to fire from an open bolt and ATF has a hard time allowing any open bolt gun to be made. Many of the replica machine guns or subguns are now made with a new receiver that can only fire from a closed bolt and in many cases the original parts don't work in the new receivers.
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #6
metalman3006
Gun Hoarder

My 1919 came from a kit but they only consider the right side plate as the receiver, I got an 80% and did her up. My Cetme/hk clone I did on a registered receiver as well as the AK in the middle of the last pic.

Some guns the ATF has a problem with you re welding (like the M14) but others like the MG42, Bren, and others are fine as long as you make the semi-auto modifications before you wield them up.

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." Ayn Rand

Last edited by metalman3006; November 29th, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
metalman3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #7
metalman3006
Gun Hoarder

Forgot to add here is a good site with lots of info.

http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuilder/

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." Ayn Rand
metalman3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #8
midcountygunshop

Builder of evil firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfakm4 View Post
This an example of what you asked. I had this kit rewelded to semi auto configuration.

Nice looking work!
midcountygunshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #9
phillywilly

Thanks for asking I had wondered the same thing
phillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Fodder4Thought
New Dad!!

In particular I was looking at this (two or three items down), or at this.

Are these things worth doing, or would they end up costing enough by the end that the low initial cost is misleading?
Old December 28th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #11
Fodder4Thought
New Dad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman3006 View Post
Forgot to add here is a good site with lots of info.

http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuilder/
Ooh - this does look good. Time to register!
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #12
crfakm4
hotel z71

Quote:
Originally Posted by midcountygunshop View Post
Nice looking work!
MyGunsNorthWest did the reweld. That guy is an absolute artist with rewelds. He doesnt do any finishing, just building. Check out The AKForums to see many examples of his work. He has a backlog a mile long but keeps pumping them out. I waited 3 months..

It cost me $450 to get it done including shipping. The lightening cut was torched from the demill and that is a little extra to fix. I am very happy with it.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson
crfakm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #13
Markp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
With some guns, such as FALs, you can't use the cut receivers because ATF considered them a machine gun. They say "once a machine gun, always a machine gun." Some guns also were built to fire from an open bolt and ATF has a hard time allowing any open bolt gun to be made. Many of the replica machine guns or subguns are now made with a new receiver that can only fire from a closed bolt and in many cases the original parts don't work in the new receivers.
No offense, but Mikec, that's not true. If they are properly demilled they are considered scrap metal.

Please actually look this stuff up and don't just make stuff up:

ATF Rul. 2003–2

"An ATF-approved method of destruction for an FN FAL type machinegun
receiver requires three diagonal torch cuts that sever or pass
through the following areas: (1) the threaded portion of the receiver ring
and magazine well opening at bottom, (2) the hinge pin, ejector block and
bolt guide rails, and (3) the body locking lug and bolt guide rails. All cutting
must be done with a cutting torch having a tip of sufficient size to displace
at least inch of material at each location. Each cut must completely
sever the receiver in the designated areas and must be done with
a diagonal torch cut. Using a bandsaw or a cut-off wheel to destroy the
receiver does not ensure destruction of the weapon."

Page 139 of ATF publication 5300-4.

Once a machine gun, always a machine gun ONLY applies to receivers that have NOT been properly demilled. If the gun was properly demilled the receiver sections are scrap metal and do not constitute machine gun parts. You are correct that the ATF, in general, will not approve the build of an open bolt weapon but has no policy letter creating a blanket prohibition to my knowledge.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)