• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingpin008

Feb 17, 2007
    Columbia, Maryland
    Hey all. I usually post over on THR, but Norton aksed me to post about this here as well, once I got things all figured out.

So here it is - the long and short of it is that after this latest shooting in Illinois, I found that I couldn't stop thinking about how horrible it is that the people who were killed and wounded that day had no reason to think that they'd go to class that day, only to end up the targets of a madman's rage.

I can't sit in class anymore and not divide my attention between my instructor, and listening for the sound of gunshots. It's sick.

And even if my college had a pro-defense policy (which it doesn't), it wouldn't matter much anyway, since even if I did want to carry on campus, I'd be risking a felony charge rathet than simple expusion. So rather than attack the college and it's policies directly as being insufficient, I tried to offer a more general message, while providing the link to marylandshallissue.org so people could go explore the site and get an idea of what they can do right here in MD to help fight for the ability to carry a comcealed weapon. Once we get that taken care of, THEN we can start to work on the specifics, like campus carry.

And even if nobody cares about what I'm doing, and nobody visits the site after seeing the address on my hoodie, it's worth it to me. Because at least I didn't stay quiet. So without further ado, here's a few pics of my hoodie, which will be on my back starting this Monday, everytime I'm on the campus of Howard Community College. If you see me, please feel free to say howdy.
    Always looking for new friends, and people to hit the range with!

After painting, drying out:
    Hoodie2.jpg

The finished product:
    Hoodie1.jpg

(sorry for the sideways pic, I have no idea why it's doing that and can't fix it!)

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Thank you for joining us and promote the HB2 for our cause ..

This is a shirt that I would have worn during my college since i tend to be a rebel !

Kingpin008

Feb 17, 2007
    Columbia, Maryland
    cbburke - I appreciate all that ya'll do here to help out. I really need to start posting here more - I just spend so much time over on THR that I sometimes forget to check here for MD news first.

Glad you like the hoodie - I was worried that it wouldn't come out looking very good, since I really don't have much experience painting or stenciling, but all in all I think it works. I'm very curious to see what type of reception it gets when I start wearing it on Monday! Hopefully a lot of questions and curiosity!

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Looks great and you'll be making quite a statement. I will be interested in hearing what the reactions are. If I was in school still I would ask you to make me one. I think it will be a tough crowd in HC though. All our politicians here don't care about our gun rights. I'd be interested in seeing how the students feel.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Outstanding. Like I've been saying, if we're going to win this thing we have to take the message to the masses and stop engaging in preaching to the choir.

Kingpin008

Feb 17, 2007
    Columbia, Maryland
    Thanks for the support, ya'll. I'm hoping it goes over well, and I'm able to answer any questions that may come with relative ease and eloquence. :)

Hah - maybe having the MSI address written on my back all day will help remind me to finally send in my membership check!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    hehe, what college are you at? i'm at UMBC and am often to be seen wearing one of my MDShooters tshirts (Don-----I need more!). they are quite the attention getter with the good color contrast and the fact that they are black and scary, just like our guns.....

glad to see more representation. are you going to do the Students for Concealed Carry on Camps protest (empty holster)?

TheYoshi

2A Fanatic
    Feb 13, 2008
    People's Republic of MD
    For all of you guys who are willing to walk around campus wearing shirts, I sure hope you're also posting the pdf from the petition thread all over campus! If you are feeling super ambitious I'd love to see pics of the "poster" on different campuses.

Kingpin008

Feb 17, 2007
    Columbia, Maryland
    I'm at Howard Community College. I'm extremely curious to see what kind of reaction I get from this - I really have no idea what to expect.

I won't be doing the empty holster protest, for a few reasons.

Firstly, I don't own a holster. Not a one.

Secondly, I can't wear one while on campus, due to my required class uniform (Chef's jacket and pants). Not only are they not the best choice for wearing gunleather, I'm pretty sure that the director of the program wouldn't hesitate to give me seven shades of you-know-what for not conforming to the dress code.

And lastly, I have a feeling that if I were to wear a holster of any kind, empty or full, on campus - my chances of expulsion and/or bad attention from higher-ups would most certainly be on it's way. I have no problem with bucking the system a bit, and understand that anything I do has the potential to get me in hot water with the school, but I can't afford to poke the badger with a stick too much. I most certainly wish everyone who does participate good luck, and will be happy to stand with ya'll when it happens.

Kingpin008

Feb 17, 2007
    Columbia, Maryland
    Yoshi - One of the reasons that I'm doing this the way that I am, is because I can't really post fliers on my campus, without getting them pre-approved first. Which, isn't gonna happen, unless I'm trying to advertise for a room for rent, or books for sale, etc.

The way I'm doing it, I AM the billboard. They can't tell me to take my hoodie off, because I'm not breaking the rules by wearing it.

Kingpin008

Feb 17, 2007
    Columbia, Maryland
    Day One After-Action Report

Well, day one is over with. To be honest, I don't really have much to report. I walked through the quad on my way to class, and I wasn't approached, yelled at, asked any questions, or stopped at any point.

There were a lot of people out, and I walked past a few large groups. But it occurred to me - unless someone were to actually approach me or say something to me, I only get part of the picture. I can't see how people may be reacting to the message, since it's written on my back, lol.

So who knows.

I'm not discouraged, and certainly won't quit wearing it - but it would have been interesting to have had some people show a little interest.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Perhaps the MSI site is getting more hits today though.

Good job - the more you wear it, the better the chances are of somebody finally asking you about it. Curiosity will get the best of people.

Kingpin008

Feb 17, 2007
    Columbia, Maryland
    Perhaps the MSI site is getting more hits today though.

I hope so!

I'm definitely not going to stop wearing it - and hopefully curiosity does spawn some questions.

Incidentally - I'm seeing more and more MSI stickers on cars these days. Came back from class and went to the Subway near my house for some lunch. One spot over was a tan jeep with an MSI sticker on the back. Word is most certainly getting around. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom