Flushing Frosh - Let's get to work....NOW!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    As many of you are aware, HB-1060, the Castle Doctrine bill was UNANIMOUSLY passed by the entire House of Delegates and forwarded to the Senate Judicial Committee.

In committee, Sen. Brian Frosh, the chairman, refused to allow the bill "out of the drawer" for a vote.

In other words, one man over ruled the will of the entire House and failed to put it out to the Senate for a vote.

Worse still, this is the 3rd time that he has unilaterally stopped this bill.

It is time to make this fact known and take on this clown.

As gun owners in this state, we've been on the defensive for far too long and have taken the mindset of "well at least it didn't get any worse". Sometimes that's the best that you can hope for, but in this case we see an egregious example of one man's ideology getting in the way of the business of the state.

Since the vote was unanimous, we have major moral clout to go after him in PG and Montgomery Counties, places where have failed to make much progress.

This bill was a step in the right direction towards our ultimate goal of shall issue legislation. It's a small step, no doubt, but acknowledging the fundamental right to self-defense in one's home IS progress and this egomaniac has allowed his judgement to be substantially affected.

Oh, did I mention that 8 of the 11 attorneys in his law firm are personal injury attorneys and have a financial interest in seeing that criminals have the ability to sue you if they break in to your home and you injure them?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    MSI Press Release:

The End of Democracy? Asks Maryland Shall Issue, Inc.

ANNAPOLIS, Md., April 9, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The followingis a statement by Henry Heymering, President of Maryland Shall Issue, Inc.:

HB-1060 is a "Castle Doctrine" type bill. It would have providedimmunity from civil suits brought by someone who was injured or killed after illegally entering your home and then committing or attempting to commit an additional crime.

Your Maryland Delegates, unanimously (136 - 0), voted for HB-1060.However, Senator Frosh single-handedly blocked the bill by not allowing a vote in committee -- a "desk drawer veto." Is this democracy? If your Delegates are representing your concerns, and it appears they are, then Senator Frosh is not. One has to wonder if this is because Senator Frosh'slaw firm specializes in personal injury claims, or simply that he chooses to push his personal views on self-defense in direct opposition to
    the vast majority of Marylanders.

Henry Heymering, President of Maryland Shall Issue, notes this is not the first time Senator Frosh has abused his power as Chair of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee to impose his personal interests over the wishes of the representatives of the entire state. In fact this is the third time that Senator Frosh has blocked this very same bill which has now passed the House floor unanimously on three separate occasions -- 2004 (HB-1463), 2005 (HB-646) and now 2008.

What kind of a government is it that puts more veto power in the hands of a committee chair than in the hands of the governor? What kind of a legislator uses this power for his personal interests rather than the people he is supposed to represent?

http://www.marylandshallissue.org

SOURCE Maryland Shall Issue, Inc.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The two main talking points are:

1) Committee chairs actually have more power with their desk drawer veto than does the Governor (whose veto can be overturned by 2/3 vote)

2) Frosh has blocked every gun rights and self-defense bill that has come to his committee ... including this most recent 'Castle Doctrine' bill that passed the House UNANIMOUSLY ... THREE DIFFERENT YEARS.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    There are a bunch of letters in the hopper already that should be getting published within days.

It would be nice to see every newspaper in the state flooded with letters and everyone of us should be contacting our elected officials as well as Speaker Busch and Senate President Miller to let them know what a travesty this is.

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    Man, these committee chairs are pissing me off. If work is slow enough tomorrow I will send out some emails. Guess I will try to email C4 also. I keep pushing my Reps for a bill that every bill in committee has to get a vote.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Here's Senator Brian "They're nuts" Frosh's contact info if you'd like to express your displeasure:

BRIAN E. FROSH
    Democrat, District 16, Montgomery County
    Miller Senate Office Building, 2 East Wing
    11 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
    (410) 841-3124, (301) 858-3124
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3124 (toll free)
    e-mail: brian.frosh@senate.state.md.us
    fax: (410) 841-3102, (301) 858-3102

7315 Wisconsin Ave., Suite 800W
    Bethesda, MD 20814 - 3412
    (301) 652-2888

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Spot's letter looked great....grand total of two paragraphs.

Guys, whether you know it or not, we are the leading group of firearms advocacy people in this state. There is not a single group of individuals that are larger or more active. Period.

The mission all along of MDShooters was to provide a means for the individual gun owners of this state to have a means to start fighting back....shaking the "battered wife syndrome" as DD214 would have put it.

Yes, MSI is taking the lead as far as organizations go, but it is going to be each and every one of us that is truly going to make the difference by contacting the representatives in our districts. Remember, we got the message loud and clear from the PG Delegation....what makes the difference is hearing from their constituents.

I would presume that this true in most districts.

For my part, I will be hitting District 30 tonight and then also a letter to Senate President Miller.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    He did the same thing with the motorcycle helmet bill over the last 3 years too. He doesn't let it come out of the drawer for a vote. :mad54::mad54::mad54:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    He did the same thing with the motorcycle helmet bill over the last 3 years too. He doesn't let it come out of the drawer for a vote. :mad54::mad54::mad54:

If you are active in that community, please, please, please, alert them to what we are doing and have them dovetail their disgust with the helmet law with this effort.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    NRA recently published a bit on HB1060 in MD in their "Legislative Alerts" section.

I sent a link to the MSI press release with a short write-up. Hopefully they'll publish it as "Outrage of the Week" or something.

It's scary that the committee chairs have THIS much power.

Vallario did the same thing in the house with HB2. But HB1060 is a much more blatant abuse of power, because the bill UNANIMOUSLY passed the House THREE TIMES, meaning that both the citizens and delegates WANT this bill passed.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    What Norton said. I'll be getting my letter writing on this evening, and once I figure out what I want to say I will be making calls. Everyone needs to get in on this one. We CAN beat these bastards if we put our minds to it...all of us.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    When does he come up for re-election?

-n

This is a hard one to pull off, most of us are not in his district, but encouraging as much pressure from his colleagues, and as much negative press as possible is about the only way we can force his hand. More or less alienating him from his financial support, or contacting dem party officials might also help, as we can't count on the sheep to vote him out, but the dems could back someone else in the next primary. Im at work now, and only got a chance to send one letter last night, Ill try sending one to the dem and rebublican partys of MD and a few others to reps tonight.

Last edited:

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    This is a hard one to pull off, most of us are not in his district

Some of us are or are close enough to those that are. I'm trying to build up a list of talking points we can use when it's time. At least once I have so far is sure to rile the Think of the Children! crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom