Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports

Old September 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Jerry M

My Caribou Hunt

WOW what an adventure. I just returned from Kuujjuaq in northern Quebec. Me and two buddies each got two bull caribou. We were using the outfitter Safari Nordik.

We drove to Montreal Canada. Then we flew from Montreal to Kuujjuaq, where we then got in a sea plane (Beaver) and flew another hour and a half to camp.

Float Plane

we unloaded and went by boat to camp;

We checked the zero on our rifles and went hunting. We traveled up the river about a mile and a half and exited the boat so the guide could go through some rapids. We motored up the river to a second set of rapids where we all exited the boat for a short walk past the rapids to were another boat was positioned. We traveled a short way up the river when we started seeing caribou. We pulled to the opposite shore and watched. John shot first and anchored a large gray bodied bull at a 209 yards. Did I mention that it started to rain and the temperature dropped like a rock? We continued to see more bulls but they were 400 to 600 yards away. Did I mention that it was sleeting?
We jumped into the boat and crossed the river. It was my turn and I picked out a Bull that was moving from left to right. Being above the tree line there was not much cover. There is plenty of this bush that looks very much like an azalea. I crawled on all fours for about 30 yards. The caribou started to move back in the direction they had come, back to the left. There were about 100. Did I mention that it was hailing? I dropped my pack and crawled on my belly for about 20 more yards and moved behind a large bolder. The bull continued in the direction which would put me in a very good shooting position. Did I mention that it was snowing?

The bull crossed in front of me and I shot him at about 70 yards with my .308. The 165 grain Speer soft point boat tail did its job. The Caribou dropped without taking a step.

My first bull

My third buddy wound up following me up the hill from the boat on his belly also. He was able to connect with a real nice bull at about 130 yards. He actually had to wait behind the rock with me until he had a clear shot without a chance of shooting through the bull and hitting another animal.

We then had our work cut out (pun intended) we had three bulls down that needed to be caped and butchered. Meat carried to the boat down the the rapids, moved back to the other boat. Did i mention that it was freezing rain? Back to camp with 3 foot swells on the river. Did I mention that it was windy and sleeting again?

Day two was clear but cold and going back to the same location we were all able to take a second bull.

My second bull shot on the beach after is crossed the river.

the third day it was raining, snowing, windy and raw in the morning. After lunch it cleared off enough to take a hike for a few miles to explore the country. It is very rugged country with rock and the bushes that look like Azalea. We saw at lease another 100 caribou on that walk, including several nice bulls.

On my walk

Rugged country

Till next time

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry M; September 20th, 2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Jerry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #2
mopar92
Official MDS Court Jester

I wish one day to be able to experience God's country like that before I die. Congratulations on your moose(s?) and an awe inspiring experience.
mopar92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #3
lx1x
Peanut Gallery

wow.. very nice and congrats!!

IDPA (SO Certified), USPSA (RO Certified) & RUGER Rimfire (for fun and practice, not really a competitor).
(All firearms are nicely stacked and stored at the bottom of Chesapeake Bay )

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
lx1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #4
foxtrapper
well armed coyote

How are you handling the velvet antlers? If they aren't treated ASAP when you get them home ( keep them on ice during your drive- the field part is fine due to the cold), they will STINK. Some guys peel them up there and let them soak a day or so in the cold water.

Old September 15th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #5
teratos
My hair is AMAZING

Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing the pictures!.

C&R FFL
MD Designated Collector
TAKE BACK MARYLAND

teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #6
BlackBart
Aging Teen Idol

Wayyyyyyyyyyy cool, thanks you lucky dog!

In 1272, the Arabic Islamic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.

In 1873, the British somewhat refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #7
scrovak
They call me Country

Wow, so descriptive I feel like I was there!

... and if anyone asks, I was....

*Resident Fiery Foods Expert*

Sturcis faciebant; semper fortis.
scrovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #8
gtodave

awesome!

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #9
fivepointstar

WOW....thats what I call getting away from it all!!

thanks for the pics

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."

I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #10
KevinB

Did I mention that we're so jealous?

Congrats!
KevinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #11
wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
lucky congrats
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #12
browning guy

Scruffy Nerf Herder

Send a message via AIM to browning guy
Jerry great post !!!! looks like you got some fine grilling ahead of you.

I will post picks when I get back from Wyoming from my antolope hunt, thanks for the Idea Jerry!!

Jed Eckert: C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
browning guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #13
DZ

Jerry, thanks for sharing, looks like an awesome time.

How was the weather?

+Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

+A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #14
Derwood

Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Sounds like a dream come true.
Derwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #15
sinzitu

Sounds like a fantastice trip. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Old September 16th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #16
JOBU
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry M View Post
Float Plane
JOBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #17
Billman
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I hunted with Safari Nordik back in 2009, it was certainly a memorable experience.
We hunted towards the end of the migration and the 'herds' were rather small, 5-10 animals in each. Our group was successful with only one exception. There was an older gentleman from PA that literally shot ALL of the 30-06 ammunition in camp. I believe the count was 40'ish rounds fired at animals before he was 'lucky' enough to get a clean gut shot on a cow.
It was truly an amazing trip and a week I will not soon forget. The absence of all communication was refreshing/cleansing. The northern lights were freaky and the $65 per case Molson's were...mehhh.
A couple of us were lucky enough to hit the tri-fecta...Caribou, Ptarmigan (grouse like bird) and trout from Lake May.
Glad your trip went well!
Billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #18
Nothinghead

That Beaver is one sexy plane.

Looks like a good time!
Nothinghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #19
Jerry M

Velvet was stripped off the antlers in camp, they were then soaked in the river as you suggested. Antlers and cape were dropped off at the taxidermist on the way home. And not a moment too soon as they were thawing quickly.

Flying in a float plane is not something I am likely to forget.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Jerry
Jerry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #20
foxtrapper
well armed coyote

There's also some sort of caribou that live where there are still trees and forest and they have darkish antlers. I was calling them Quebec woodland caribou. Anyhow I had some guys go up there to hunt in early december and they came driving back frenzied and dropped off 3 capes with heads still in, and 2 additional heads ( this was back before CWD concerns). The crazy thing was it was 70 that day- in december- and boy did I have to hustle caping the 3 out. They were not frozen, but were still very cold. Antlers were nice and hard, so no velvet worries.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports