Did we lose one, or am I missing something?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    http://www.bradycampaign.org/media/press/view/1441/

Supreme Court Refuses Case Regarding Gun Lobby's "Imaginary Right,"
    Brady Applauds Decision
    Oct 3, 2011

In response to the United States Supreme Court's refusal to review the Second Amendment ruling of State v. Williams, Brady Center Acting President Dennis Henigan issued the following statement:

"We are pleased that the Supreme Court has let stand the Maryland Court of Appeals ruling that there is no constitutional right to carry guns outside the home. This latest ruling exposes the fallacy behind the gun lobby's attempt to force concealed carrying nationwide under the Packing Heat on Our Streets Act (H.R. 822) pending in Congress," said Henigan. "The gun lobby claims that a federal law is needed to protect the supposed rights of all Americans to carry loaded hidden handguns in public, but the Court has refused the opportunity to declare such a right. Congress should not deprive states of their longstanding police power authority to protect their citizens in the name of an imaginary right."

The Brady Center's Legal Action Project report, Hollow Victory, comprehensively analyzes the more than 400 challenges to gun laws filed by the gun lobby and gun criminals in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court's rulings in D.C. v. Heller and McDonald v. City of Chicago, and finds that the courts have overwhelmingly rejected these challenges.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Don't stress to much. Williams was a pot shot. If it had hit, it would have been EPIC, but the Supreme Court doesn't seem to like dropping bombs of that magnitude.

The Bradys are happy now, but I expect the knife to come out soon, and begin disessting their joy.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Don't stress to much. Williams was a pot shot. If it had hit, it would have been EPIC, but the Supreme Court doesn't seem to like dropping bombs of that magnitude.

The Bradys are happy now, but I expect the knife to come out soon, and begin disessting their joy.

The court is not comfortable adressing anything significant. MD told them that Heller and Mcdonald were insignificant and meaningless and they chose not to disagree.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The court is not comfortable adressing anything significant. MD told them that Heller and Mcdonald were insignificant and meaningless and they chose not to disagree.

I wouldn't say that. They incorporated the 2nd amendment and applied it to the states. They found it was a fundamental right.

I wouldn't say those were insignificant at all.

Williams was such a broad question. Think of it as a date.

You want to find out if she is a virgin till marriage, a virgin, or experienced.

Do you just come out and say "I have a large labedo, and I need a girl who can take it."

Or do you ask questions that hint at the real answer until you get it?

Courts work the same way.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I wish we could just present the D instead of beating around the bush.

And SHE said ...

"Oh come now, I've seen a D before and THAT'S a PP."

badumpbump ... Be sure an tip your waitress, and stick around for the 11PM show. :D

MirandaB

Jun 8, 2011
    Explanation State v. Williams

I would like to provide some context into the Williams decision, but first you should know my bona fides.

I was a civil rights attorney in private practice for 10 years (before closing my practice to invest my energies full-time into my company, Just Right Carbines). I did a LOT of appellate work, primarily in the federal courts but in the state courts as well, representing the constitutional civil rights claims of individual plaintiffs - like Williams. I took several cases before the 6th US Circuit Court of Appeals. In one case I won a landmark ruling that was the first ever in the nation. I also succeeded, among other things, in getting a municipal ordinance in the city of Youngstown, Ohio, ruled as an unconstitutional restriction of my client's right of free speech. It took winning 3 separate cases brought against my client in as many years before the court finally agreed with me that the city was unconstitutionally persecuting my client based solely on, and in retaliation for, his publicly expressed negative opinions of some officials in city government.

I viewed most of the oral argument in the State v. Williams Court of Appeals case - enough to know pretty well why the COA ruled against Williams (and why the SCOTUS denied cert). Here are my observations:

1) Williams's first mistake was failing to put the State to its burden of denying him a permit. Had he done so he could have demonstrated that he made every attempt to comply with the law, only to be turned down because the law was unconstitutionally overbroad, vague, etc. His subsequent arrest for carrying would have been more challengeable on appeal. Failing to make the application in the first place - even though applying may well have been pointless - relieved the State from having to deny him a permit and proved justification for the denial. The courts seldom accept at face value the claim that someone didn't file an application/petition/request on the grounds that they would have been denied anyway regardless of qualification. Evidence of the pointlessness of such request must be overwhelming, and must be based upon hard evidence that either proves the matter or leads to the inescapable inference. No such evidence other than the general reputation or perception of the permitting agency was referenced in oral argument.

2) Williams appeared to have "unclean hands" in the matter, having removed a mislaid (as opposed to lost) backpack from the bus and been seen digging through its contents while waiting for a transfer connection at the bus stop. It did not appear that Williams was ever charged with anything in connection with the removal of the backpack. Nevertheless, it seemed as though some of the justices imputed a degree of untrustworthiness to his actions. It would have been one thing if he had found the backpack along the side of the road, in which case "finders keepers" might have applied. However, the backpack was apparently inadvertently left on the bus where, presumably, if might have been located when the owner later remembered their error. Finders keepers does not apply to items that are merely mislaid because the owner may well return to claim them. Of Williams's three errors affecting the case, I think this one was the least problematic, but some of the justices' negative reaction to it was nevertheless discernible.

3) Williams acted guilty when he hid his gun in the nearby bushes. I understand why he did it, but his actions tacitly acknowledge both that he knew the law prohibited him from carrying his gun at that place and time, and that he was in violation of the law. It would have been better for him to have retained possession of the gun and informed the officer when approached that he was in possession of a gun that he was in the immediate process transporting from one residence to another.

Williams's case essentially asked the COA to throw out wholesale the entire statute under which he was convicted. Courts are loath to rule even a part of a law unconstitutional unless given no other choice. Unfortunately, the circumstances of Williams's case gave them lots of ways to rule otherwise. As someone previously pointed out this case was a longshot, a hail mary, and it is no surprise that the COA ruled as they did.

The SCOTUS is even more stringent in the kinds of cases they will accept for cert. Cases that make it to the High Nine have to be very narrowly focused on one issue of law, and for a case to receive cert a minimum of 4 of the justices must agree to hear it.

My take is that, apart from giving the Brady bunch a pretext upon which to issue a press release, State v. Williams is of no real value in either direction to anyone except Williams.

I hope this helps,

Miranda

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I would like to provide some context into the Williams decision, but first you should know my bona fides.

I was a civil rights attorney in private practice for 10 years (before closing my practice to invest my energies full-time into my company, Just Right Carbines). I did a LOT of appellate work, primarily in the federal courts but in the state courts as well, representing the constitutional civil rights claims of individual plaintiffs - like Williams. I took several cases before the 6th US Circuit Court of Appeals. In one case I won a landmark ruling that was the first ever in the nation. I also succeeded, among other things, in getting a municipal ordinance in the city of Youngstown, Ohio, ruled as an unconstitutional restriction of my client's right of free speech. It took winning 3 separate cases brought against my client in as many years before the court finally agreed with me that the city was unconstitutionally persecuting my client based solely on, and in retaliation for, his publicly expressed negative opinions of some officials in city government.

I viewed most of the oral argument in the State v. Williams Court of Appeals case - enough to know pretty well why the COA ruled against Williams (and why the SCOTUS denied cert). Here are my observations:

1) Williams's first mistake was failing to put the State to its burden of denying him a permit. Had he done so he could have demonstrated that he made every attempt to comply with the law, only to be turned down because the law was unconstitutionally overbroad, vague, etc. His subsequent arrest for carrying would have been more challengeable on appeal. Failing to make the application in the first place - even though applying may well have been pointless - relieved the State from having to deny him a permit and proved justification for the denial. The courts seldom accept at face value the claim that someone didn't file an application/petition/request on the grounds that they would have been denied anyway regardless of qualification. Evidence of the pointlessness of such request must be overwhelming, and must be based upon hard evidence that either proves the matter or leads to the inescapable inference. No such evidence other than the general reputation or perception of the permitting agency was referenced in oral argument.

2) Williams appeared to have "unclean hands" in the matter, having removed a mislaid (as opposed to lost) backpack from the bus and been seen digging through its contents while waiting for a transfer connection at the bus stop. It did not appear that Williams was ever charged with anything in connection with the removal of the backpack. Nevertheless, it seemed as though some of the justices imputed a degree of untrustworthiness to his actions. It would have been one thing if he had found the backpack along the side of the road, in which case "finders keepers" might have applied. However, the backpack was apparently inadvertently left on the bus where, presumably, if might have been located when the owner later remembered their error. Finders keepers does not apply to items that are merely mislaid because the owner may well return to claim them. Of Williams's three errors affecting the case, I think this one was the least problematic, but some of the justices' negative reaction to it was nevertheless discernible.

3) Williams acted guilty when he hid his gun in the nearby bushes. I understand why he did it, but his actions tacitly acknowledge both that he knew the law prohibited him from carrying his gun at that place and time, and that he was in violation of the law. It would have been better for him to have retained possession of the gun and informed the officer when approached that he was in possession of a gun that he was in the immediate process transporting from one residence to another.

Williams's case essentially asked the COA to throw out wholesale the entire statute under which he was convicted. Courts are loath to rule even a part of a law unconstitutional unless given no other choice. Unfortunately, the circumstances of Williams's case gave them lots of ways to rule otherwise. As someone previously pointed out this case was a longshot, a hail mary, and it is no surprise that the COA ruled as they did.

The SCOTUS is even more stringent in the kinds of cases they will accept for cert. Cases that make it to the High Nine have to be very narrowly focused on one issue of law, and for a case to receive cert a minimum of 4 of the justices must agree to hear it.

My take is that, apart from giving the Brady bunch a pretext upon which to issue a press release, State v. Williams is of no real value in either direction to anyone except Williams.

I hope this helps,

Miranda

Welcome aboard, and a good post. Being a lawyer in your 'previous life' so to speak, how about checking out my thread over in the NFA section and giving your take there. By the way, I had the honor of seeing one of your rifles first hand last night. Nice looking piece of work. I may want to get in touch about bringing some in to my store ;)

MirandaB

Jun 8, 2011
    I just drafted a pretty substantial reply regarding Masciandaro but, when I went to post it, discovered I had been logged out. Went to log back in and post disappeared.:banghead: :mad54: Bummer. I'll have to try again later. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom