Not open for further replies.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2007 :mad:

SB-43 http://mlis.state.md.us/2007RS/billfile/sb0043.htm

Synopsis:
    Designating specified firearms as assault weapons; prohibiting with specified exceptions a person from transporting an assault weapon into the State or possessing, selling, offering to sell, transferring, or receiving an assault weapon; requiring the Handgun Roster Board to compile and maintain a roster of prohibited assault weapons; etc.

Sponsored By: Senators (D)

Lenett, (D)
    Britt, (D)
    Conway, (D)
    Currie, (D)
    Exum, (D)
    Forehand, (D)
    Frosh, (D)
    Garagiola, (D)
    Gladden, (D)
    Jones, (D)
    Kelley, (D)
    Kramer, (D)
    Madaleno, (D)
    McFadden, (D)
    Muse, (D)
    Pinsky, (D)
    Pugh, (D)
    Raskin, (D)
    Robey, (D)
    Rosapepe, (D)
    Zirkin (D)

Last edited by a moderator:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Here we go, boys and girls. Get your printers warmed up and start those letters flowing.

I've got my personal days saved up for the hearings.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Norton (or anyone else),

Do you have any info on Anne Arundel County's Senator John Astle? I see he's a Democrat. Is there any chance he is a moderate Democrat on 2A issues, or is he a foaming at the mouth Feinstein disciple?

Being a new kid on the block I'm still learing the political landscape here. I don't quite understand how Anne Arundel county could have a Democrat state senator, when all I ever saw around here during the election were signs everywhere for Governor Ehrlich?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Norton (or anyone else),

Do you have any info on Anne Arundel County's Senator John Astle? I see he's a Democrat. Is there any chance he is a moderate Democrat on 2A issues, or is he a foaming at the mouth Feinstein deciple?

Being a new kid on the block I'm still learing the political landscape here. I don't quite understand how Anne Arundel county could have a Democrat state senator, when all I ever saw around here during the election were signs everywhere for Governor Ehrlich?

Astle is an Elmer Fudd.....hunter/sportsman :sad20:

He made a big point during the campaign of saying that he would filibuster any anti-gun legislation, but I don't trust him. I think that he'll sell us out.

I think you need to play on the fact that he is a gun owner and that this an AWB is the first step in removing all firearms from the hands of citizens.....just like England.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I knew that I held on to this for a reason:

Thanks for the heads up e-mail. I have checked with my campaign folks and we can't find the questionnaire about which you spoke. Before I answer your question let me give you a little background. I am a gun owner with 32 guns including handguns, shotguns and rifles. I am an active member of the NRA and I also belong to The AAF&G where I shoot the high power ranger quite a bit. I am also an avid hunter. The answer is yes I would support a filibuster in which we would try to stop any additional gun legislation.
    I hope this helps,
    Respectfully, John

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    This is the letter that he was responding to:

Dear Senator Astle,

It has come to my attention that you have failed to respond to the Associated Gun Club of Baltimore questionnaire which specifically asked whether you would support continuing a filibuster against "gun control legislation that in any way limits, restricts, regulates, or prohibits firearms and/or firearms ownership by law-abiding citizens in Maryland".

I'm hoping that this is a simple oversight on your part as a result of what surely is a hectic campaign season.

As I'm sure you're aware, Delegate McMillan has pledged his support to continue just such a filibuster.

Given your A+ rating and endorsement from the NRA, I anxiously look forward to seeing that you having responded affirmatively to Mr. Josselyn's survey. My vote, and the votes of many District 30 gun owners, hinge on the responses that you provide such surveys as we consider how we will cast those votes on November 7.

Respectfully,

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Well I'm starting to craft a letter right now. I'm going to gather some ammo by looking up stats on California's failed SB-23 legislation of 2000, in terms of crime stats. Basically I'll show him this has been tried elsewhere and has been a dismal failure.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    From a post on THR:

One thing to point out to your representatives:

According to the FBI, Maryland had 551 reported homicides in 2005. All rifles COMBINED accounted for only 4 of them.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_20.html

Then ask them why banning popular civilian rifles with handgrips that stick out is so important, since they're almost never misused.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    By the way, what is the prevailing opinion about sending email versus an actual letter? I'm just wondering if one tends to be read more frequently than the other?
    E-Mail = OK
    Fax = also OK
    Letters = Much better
    Your presents at Bill hearings = Best of all

ALL the above = THE WAY TO GO! :thumbsup:

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Working on my letter now, anyone care to help out? My talents are more technical than literary...

Here is my letter thus far. Can anyone help with formatting and such?

Lenett.jpg

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Working on my letter now, anyone care to help out? My talents are more technical than literary...

Here is my letter thus far. Can anyone help with formatting and such?

Lenett.jpg

I'd suggest the following edit:

....to defend their families from those criminals who will obtain their firearms illegally regardless of this legislation.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Not to nitpick, but I have one comment about your last sentence, "An "assault weapons" ban will only increase black market-firearms trafficking...". Doesn't that sentence suggest that criminals are currently obtaining their firearms through legal channels, since a ban would increase the amount of illegal purchases? That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read that, and I bet the same would be true for a lawmaker used to reading fine print.

Other than that, great letter. I may "borrow" much of it for my letter. :thumbsup:

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Norton, DD214 good points. I havent had much chance to reread myself.

All are certainly welcome to use my letter to help write your own.

Ive been asking all my friends who are pretty neutral on the subject to simply email their senators stating "I oppose SB-43"

Last edited:

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Looks great. I've almost got my letter to Mr. Astle done.

IDriveB5, I really like the way you inserted the chart with the FBI stats. Once I get my letter done, is there any chance you could walk me through how to add that info to my letter? I'm not too computer savvy. :o

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom