• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • french11906

Jun 25, 2008
    Does any one know if there is any legal rifle hunting in Balt. or Harford Co? I know that large calibers are illegal to hunt with, but I'm trying to find out about small calibers. Something like a .22 cal, .17 cal, or .22 win mag for foxes. The DNR hunting guide only says deer rifles are illegal, I've been waiting 3 days to hear back from DNR on this.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    The prohibition is just for deer hunting. You can hunt squirrels, cottontails, groundhogs, fox, coon, coyote, possum, skunk, nutria, and fisher, with a rifle. You do need a furbearer permit to hunt the furbearers, including coyotes. Yes, in general smaller calibers are used for these ( .22, .22 mag, .17hmr, .223, etc). You can use semi auto rifles if you want, but cannot use FMJ or "military style" ( tracers, armor piercing I guess if what that means). I kinda wish you could use standard FMJ on fox and coyote for .223, it won't blow the fox up if you are coyote hunting and you keep getting foxes coming in. Probably about everyone on here owns an AR by now too, which is legal to use. Someone over at HuntPA said they have used Black Hills 55gr PSP in .223 on foxes and had no more than a golf ball exit hole. They probably are either jealous or think I am loony toony asking about fox/yote hunting with an AR, since they cannot use semi autos in PA. LOL

If you get some fox or yotes and not sure what to do with them, give me a holler.

french11906

Jun 25, 2008
    thanks a lot for the info. What is the best thing for me to do with any pelts if I'm not going to get one mounted?

sykesville

Ultimate Member
    Does any one know if there is any legal rifle hunting in Balt. or Harford Co? I know that large calibers are illegal to hunt with, but I'm trying to find out about small calibers. Something like a .22 cal, .17 cal, or .22 win mag for foxes. The DNR hunting guide only says deer rifles are illegal, I've been waiting 3 days to hear back from DNR on this.

Deer rifles are illegal for what? During deer firearms season, what can you use to hunt them?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Rifle Deer hunting is only legal in Frederick ( "that part of region B" ), Garrett and Allegany counties ( Region A ).

Small bore rifles ( and pistols / revolvers ) for small game (.22 / .17) is legal in all counties in Maryland.

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    Rifle Deer hunting is only legal in Frederick ( "that part of region B" ), Garrett and Allegany counties ( Region A ).

Small bore rifles ( and pistols / revolvers ) for small game (.22 / .17) is legal in all counties in Maryland.

I thought rifle was also legal in Carrol County?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Last I heard you could still hunt deer with a rifle in Carroll. I think most eastern shore and southern MD you can as well. And if you want to hunt coyote with .223 or 22-250 or .204 ruger etc, you can do so statewide. Safety zone of 150 yards from occupied dwelling still applies, unless the people give you permission to shoot within the zone. Written permission still needed to hunt private land, and you still cannot shoot across a public road. Handguns are allowed for small game and furbearers in all counties.

When people give me hides they don't know what to do with, they either deliver fresh in cool weather, or they freeze them whole till they can get to me. I will def take any foxes and coyotes unless they are mangey ( missing alot of fur). I will take them if the tail and back end are manged, but the front is in nice condition. I will take heads of mangey coyotes if they haven't been head shot.

BTW if anyone needs raw deer hides in large quantities let me know. I have no use for them at the time ( no freezer space to store them in for one, and I never have time to brain tan or make rawhide), and they are going into a landfill otherwise. The local processor lost his deer hide buyer.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    BTW if anyone needs raw deer hides in large quantities let me know. I have no use for them at the time ( no freezer space to store them in for one, and I never have time to brain tan or make rawhide), and they are going into a landfill otherwise. The local processor lost his deer hide buyer.

I don't want them but are they hard to work with? Seems there would be a market for crude clothes made out of them.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Last I heard you could still hunt deer with a rifle in Carroll. I think most eastern shore and southern MD you can as well. And if you want to hunt coyote with .223 or 22-250 or .204 ruger etc, you can do so statewide. Safety zone of 150 yards from occupied dwelling still applies, unless the people give you permission to shoot within the zone. Written permission still needed to hunt private land, and you still cannot shoot across a public road. Handguns are allowed for small game and furbearers in all counties.

When people give me hides they don't know what to do with, they either deliver fresh in cool weather, or they freeze them whole till they can get to me. I will def take any foxes and coyotes unless they are mangey ( missing alot of fur). I will take them if the tail and back end are manged, but the front is in nice condition. I will take heads of mangey coyotes if they haven't been head shot.

Negative,No deer hunting with a rifle in southern Maryland!

JonLeeFuller

Jan 4, 2021
    I know this is a old thread. But I am trying to confirm one thing I think I know and one I thing I am wondering about.
    First off I was born and raised in Montgomery county. I live in west virginia. I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson AR-15 22. Now I believe this is Maryland compliant firearm. As long as it has a 10 rd magazine. Is this true? My second question is can this firearm be used in western maryland to hunt squirrels with. It seems like the only thing I can find on hunting squirrels with is if hunted with a shotgun you can only have 3 shells in the shotgun. I am wondering does that apply to a 22 as well.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I know this is a old thread. But I am trying to confirm one thing I think I know and one I thing I am wondering about.
    First off I was born and raised in Montgomery county. I live in west virginia. I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson AR-15 22. Now I believe this is Maryland compliant firearm. As long as it has a 10 rd magazine. Is this true? My second question is can this firearm be used in western maryland to hunt squirrels with. It seems like the only thing I can find on hunting squirrels with is if hunted with a shotgun you can only have 3 shells in the shotgun. I am wondering does that apply to a 22 as well.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated

There is no capacity restriction for squirrel hunting. The only restriction on capacity for rifles is for deer hunting which is 8. And you can have a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds, you just can't buy or sell one in Maryland

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom