• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    No links yet, but the story just hit the radio. An 8 year old girl bagged the first bear of the season - a 211 pound bear with two rifle shots of undisclosed cal.

THAT ROCKS! :party29:

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    8-Year-Old Bags First Bear Of The Year

http://wjz.com/topstories/local_story_297065920.html

(AP) Oakland, MD. The first black bear of Maryland's 2005 season has been tagged.

And the successful hunter is an eight-year-old girl.
    happy65.gif

The Department of Natural Resources says Garrett County resident Sierra Stiles downed the 211-pound adult male with two rifle shots at about 7:30 am.
    cool.gif

DNR Wildlife and Heritage Director Paul Peditto says she killed the animal on a family farm near Kitzmiller.

State wildlife managers have set a quota of 40 to 55 bears for the hunt, which runs through Saturday.
    smile.gif

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Saw another article on it and it said that the girl was using a .243 cal.

Thta girl must have a ton of experience with rifles. I know how my 9 year old daughter handles her.22 (safely, but clumsily still) and I can't imagine a girl a year younger handling a bigger gun so well.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Should the state impose a minimum age for hunting?

Young Girl's Killing Of Bear Stirs Controversy
    mad54.gif

Sierra Stiles (8 years old) took down a 211-pound bear at 75 yards
    happy65.gif

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/outdoors/bal-sp.thomson25oct25,1,6375739.story?coll=bal-sports-outdoors
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Some Say Youth Should Not Hunt; Others Defend Freedom
    MD.gif

SURVEY
    Should the state impose a minimum age for hunting?
    confused.gif

Yes, No ?

TheWBALChannel.com - Survey Popup
    kicknuts.gif

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/surveypopup/news/5175273/detail.html?p=news
    WBAL Story
    http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/5175195/detail.html

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Bedwetter alert Beep! Beep!!

"Oh my god! An 8 year old? Let's stick our noses where they don't belong and make sure she can't enjoy what she's studied so hard to learn!" :eek:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I'm currently in the People's Republic of Kalifornia on business, and this story made the local news here. They acted like it was some sort of crime, and many wondered how such a travesty could occur. The only justification that the news anchor could offer was that in MD all hunters are required to pass a hunter safety course, and that the offending girl scored a 98%. What a joke, and congrats to the little girl on a kill I can only hope to get someday. :beer: <- make one of those drinks a non-alcoholic apple juice

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    i hear they are up to about 22 bears now, not bad.

a crime? i think not. sounds like a great daughter/father(and/or mother) relationship.

minimum hunting age? uh no. id prolly agree that under 18 should be with a parent/gaurdian.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It is bloody ironic that the examples they are using to make an age requirment and the claim the kids are "incapable of safety and hunting responsibly", are the examples of kids actually proving that they can hunt responsibly and safely.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    thats just ridiculous.

"i have no idea what im talking about, and when i was five i was still wetting the bed, so there cant be anyway this 5 yo can handle a gun... let me pick a random age that i think its ok for a kid to go hunting with their parent."

she really tries to make it sound as if kids are out their running around all "willy-nilly" with sniper rifles

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Each kid is different. I have no doubt that my daughter COULD have shot well with say....one of those Cricket rifles when she was 5. She shoots .22's fairly well now.

My son on the other hand, with boys being boys and all, will probably need another year or 2 before I start him shooting. He's 5 now.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I am duly impressed! 8 years old? A 243 is supposed to be a man's gun. Blow me down. I knew people in the Army who had a hard time shooting an M16!
    A BEAR? A BEAR!:bowdown:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I guess we'll be gearing up for all the anti bear hunting rhetoric again soon.

Last year there was a fella' standing on a major corner near my house wearing a bear costume waiving a sign that read, "Stop killing me!" (or something like that)

He got so many negative comments yealled at him that he was gone within an hour.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You should have mounted a counter protest by wearing a bear suit on the opposing corner and holding up a sign reading "Eat Me!".

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    K31 said:
    You should have mounted a counter protest by wearing a bear suit on the opposing corner and holding up a sign reading "Eat Me!".
    I saw a great bumber sticker in North Carolina a couple of days ago. It said "I brake for animals... then I eat them and clothe myself in their skins".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom