• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Open Carry

You can drive with/transport a handgun if you have a valid permit from any other state.

RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License

Notice: You can’t carry a firearm in a vehicle unless you have a permit issued by Pennsylvania or any other state. Open carry is legal in Pennsylvania without a permit but you must have a permit to carry a firearm in a vehicle. See (11) and (15) below in statute Title 18 § 6106 below.

From the PA State Police FAQs.

Are there exceptions to carrying a firearm without a Pennsylvania License to Carry?

A License to Carry Firearms is issued to carry a firearm concealed on one’s person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. Any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person except in his place of abode or fixed place of business without a valid and lawfully issued license commits a felony of the third degree.

A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Title 18 § 6106 Firearms Not to be Carried Without a License

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of n (a) shall not apply to:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , what Threeband linked ( copied ) covered the packing heat while driving in your vehicle .

Once you park , and exit the vehicle , you are covered by the general Open Carry ( outside the Philadelphia City Limits ). The " Virginia Tuck " also serves as the " Pennsylvania Tuck " .

For Pennsylvania residents without a LTC , they're constrained to within walking distance of their residence or fixed place of business, but for a non resident with * Any * Permit, it's pretty free , and generally unremarkable outside of Metropolitan Philadelphia.

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    Yes , what Threeband linked ( copied ) covered the packing heat while driving in your vehicle .

Once you park , and exit the vehicle , you are covered by the general Open Carry ( outside the Philadelphia City Limits ). The " Virginia Tuck " also serves as the " Pennsylvania Tuck " .

For Pennsylvania residents without a LTC , they're constrained to within walking distance of their residence or fixed place of business, but for a non resident with * Any * Permit, it's pretty free , and generally unremarkable outside of Metropolitan Philadelphia.
    Now I know why I never became a Lawyer, legalize makes my head hurt, lol.

I think what I'll do, just to play it safe, will be to lock my Sig in my gun safe, and separate the mags to another location in my truck before I cross the PA state line. But once I come out of the Sheriff's office with permit in hand, the Sig comes out of the safe and goes back on my hip where it belongs. :cool16:

I just filled out the online application, pretty simple, especially compared to Maryland. Only problem I had was I got to the very end where you have to enter a digital signature. Most digital signatures you can just click and it will add the signature for you. But for this application, I had to take my mouse and try to write my name out in the box. While I was doing that, my thumb hit a button on the side of the mouse, the page blew up and went to another page. Went back to the application and had to re-do about 1/2, as some of the information was recalled and repopulated.

I also made a donation to the Sheriff's Association. Not that it will help, but my son was a Deputy for 10 years before going Federal LEO, so we are a Blue family, and these days, seems that it's only the Sheriff's in the U.S. that have the balls to stand up at a press conference, in front of the TV cameras, and tell the Tyrant's to shove it, so I'm happy to throw a few bucks their way.

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    Damn, you guys were right, PA is REALLY fast!

I filled out my permit application last night, probably finished and submitted around 9pm, so I knew they were closed and didn't think that they would even get to see my application until sometime today at the earliest, maybe in a few days. Just in case, I added the Sheriff's office as a contact in my cell phone, as I don't answer calls I don't recognize due to getting a ton of spam and "auto warranty" type calls.

So, I'm sitting here working this afternoon when my phone rings at 2:45pm. I look and it's the PA Sheriff's office calling. I answered and received a recorded message telling me that my permit application was approved, and to look for an email for instructions on picking up my permit. I know their work hours are from 8am to 4:30pm M-F.

So, I submitted my application around 9pm last night, they start work at 8am this morning, and I got my approval at 2:45pm this afternoon. That's 6 hours & 45 minutes to get approved. Holy Crap, I've never seen the Gov't do anything that fast, especially when it comes to CCW permits, lol. My MD permit took 2 months. BTW, here's how my notification email started out:

Congratulations! Your application for a License to Carry Firearms has been approved.

I thought that was a nice touch, to see that I was actually APPROVED, and not "Not Disapproved" like when I got my MD CCW, lol.

I did 2 additional things with my application but let me say upfront that I have no idea if they made any difference at all, maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but still, getting an approval in 6 hours & 45 minutes is still blowing my mind.

1. I added a donation to the Sheriff's Association. They do state upfront that making a donation has no bearing on a permit application and is not required. But we're a Blue family, I respect Sheriff's and their Deputy's, my son is a retired LEO and before going Federal, was a Deputy for 10 years, so I was happy to make a donation.

2. Although it wasn't required, asked for, referenced, or even mentioned, I also uploaded a copy of my DD-214, in addition to my driver's license and MD CCW. I know many states, like Florida, offer expedited processing for Veterans. I don't know if PA does, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to upload a copy. At the very least, it's another document that verifies my identity and SS#.

I think I'll set up an appointment to pick up the permit at their Satellite office next Friday. I'll take the day off and take the wife and the dog for a nice road trip up I-83. I'll leave the wife and dog in the truck while I go in to pickup the permit, just in case I run into Rackzilla. :bannana:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Did their instructions say anything about having 30 days to pick up the LTCF, or about any such time limit?

Edit to add:

I see they're open 8 - 2 on Saturdays. I could pick it up then and not have to take off work.

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    Did their instructions say anything about having 30 days to pick up the LTCF, or about any such time limit?

Edit to add:

I see they're open 8 - 2 on Saturdays. I could pick it up then and not have to take off work.
    I seem to recall seeing something about having 30 days to pick up, or would have to start a new application. Others in this thread also have mentioned having 30 days to pickup.

Here's the locations and available times to pick up that was included in my approval email:

You can choose to schedule an appointment at one of the following locations:

The Courthouse - York County Judicial Center, 1st Floor 45 N. George Street, York, PA 17401. Appointment hours are 8:00am to 7:00pm, Monday to Friday.

NOTICE: Cell phones and electronic devices are prohibited in the Judicial Center.

Satellite Office
    - 2401 Pleasant Valley Rd, York PA 17402. Appointment hours are 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday.

Please bring with you either a valid Driver's License, or Government Identification, with your current address as shown on your application. The license will not be issued unless you have the proper identification.

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    I think it was mentioned that she works in the Satellite Center.

Something abut the elevators in the judicial center being too small for her...
    I've heard that she works at the Satellite Center.

Ahem, of course, I'm going to the Satellite Center for pickup as it looks to be right off I-83, looks to have plenty of parking, and they don't say that you can't bring a cell phone in.

I don't know about the elevator, but I do remember someone saying things are a bit tight in the shirt so watch out, buttons may turn into projectiles and come flying out without warning. :whoa:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I've heard that she works at the Satellite Center.

Ahem, of course, I'm going to the Satellite Center for pickup as it looks to be right off I-83, looks to have plenty of parking, and they don't say that you can't bring a cell phone in.

I don't know about the elevator, but I do remember someone saying things are a bit tight in the shirt so watch out, buttons may turn into projectiles and come flying out without warning. :whoa:
    Well, when I went up there it must have been her day off. On the bright side there's a restaraunt called Round the Clock Diner close by. So at least I got a good meal on the way back.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually, that's 6 hour , 25 minutes slower than my Approval from Bedford Co . No appointment needed to pick up .

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    Actually, that's 6 hour , 25 minutes slower than my Approval from Bedford Co . No appointment needed to pick up .
    Damn, that's insanely fast. I think PA must be leaning heavily on and trusting our MD CCW's. Your turnaround was so fast, like immediate, that there's no way they could contact your references, run a background check, etc.

Still, 6hrs & 45min was incredibly fast in my mind, for applying online, after having to wait 2 months for my MD CCW. MD could learn a thing or two from PA.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I could have walked in , and walked out in 20 minutes, but wanted to cover my bets in case the PICS computer went down that day .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom