Trying to descide on a bullpup semi-auto (Range use only)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Host

MDS Supporter
    Feb 27, 2024
    Naptown
    I've got it down to a few options but wanted to know the thoughts if there are any others I should be looking into I didn't see or check out yet.

Edit: Ordered the ATI Bulldog SGA.
    Will try to update once I have it in hand and make it out to the range.

Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    As far as fitting in pre-existing bullpup case, the Tavor TS12 is an enormous unwieldy gun. Length might not be the problem, but the overall bulk of that weapon might be too big for a standard case. I love my Tavor21, and have shot a few X95’s and love them too. I had the opportunity to shoulder a TS12, and even for the really good price I couldn’t get past the ridiculously cartooinish bulk feel of the shotgun. Up until that point I really wanted one, after that it just seemed really dumb to me, tbh.

Again, I didn’t shoot it, just fondled it in the store, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Host

MDS Supporter
    Feb 27, 2024
    Naptown
    As far as fitting in pre-existing bullpup case, the Tavor TS12 is an enormous unwieldy gun. Length might not be the problem, but the overall bulk of that weapon might be too big for a standard case. I love my Tavor21, and have shot a few X95’s and love them too. I had the opportunity to shoulder a TS12, and even for the really good price I couldn’t get past the ridiculously cartooinish bulk feel of the shotgun. Up until that point I really wanted one, after that it just seemed really dumb to me, tbh.

Again, I didn’t shoot it, just fondled it in the store, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    That's actually why I'm looking. Was just going to straight up buy it until I saw it in person (I did not actually even handle it, let alone fire it) its just... I dont know, maybe you hit the nail on the head with "cartoonish" lol

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    That's actually why I'm looking. Was just going to straight up buy it until I saw it in person (I did not actually even handle it, let alone fire it) its just... I dont know, maybe you hit the nail on the head with "cartoonish" lol
    That was the first firearm that the salesperson ever put in my hands at that particular store that I didn’t buy either on the spot or shortly thereafter. I handed that back, laughed and said “no way”. People were lined up behind me to try it as well, but I had left before I witnessed anyone else’s reaction.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    If you have a shoulder stock, I think you need at least 18" barrel unless you want to register it as a sbs.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    If you have a shoulder stock, I think you need at least 18" barrel unless you want to register it as a sbs.
    A bullpup usually has the minimum required barrel length, sometimes even longer in certain cases. It’s just the barrel doesn’t begin forward of your hands; the action, magazine, and chamber are typically behind your hands - this is what reduces the overall length of the weapon.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    A bullpup usually has the minimum required barrel length, sometimes even longer in certain cases. It’s just the barrel doesn’t begin forward of your hands; the action, magazine, and chamber are typically behind your hands - this is what reduces the overall length of the weapon.
    I know what a bullpup is. I was commenting on his "wish list" of 16-20 inch barrel. Minimum for non-nfa shotguns is 18" not 16".

Host

MDS Supporter
    Feb 27, 2024
    Naptown
    16" or greater barrel and 26" or longer total length if non-removable magazines and no folding stock. If it has a removable Magazine I need 16" or greater barrel and total length 29" or greater.

The two laws look like they override each other but the 29" minimum only comes into place if other categories of the rifle type are checked.

Also I did check the main 3 options I posted were on the MD approved list. Which was odd because I thought for sure the 1216 was going to be banned as every other SRM shotgun is.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    16" or greater barrel and 26" or longer total length if non-removable magazines and no folding stock. If it has a removable Magazine I need 16" or greater barrel and total length 29" or greater.

The two laws look like they override each other but the 29" minimum only comes into place if other categories of the rifle type are checked.

Also I did check the main 3 options I posted were on the MD approved list. Which was odd because I thought for sure the 1216 was going to be banned as every other SRM shotgun is.
    Federal rules are different between rifles and shotguns.

Ask Randy Weaver, who got part of his family killed by cutting a shotgun barrel to 17 3/4 inches.

Last edited:

Host

MDS Supporter
    Feb 27, 2024
    Naptown
    Federal rules are different between rifles and shotguns.
    Well to side step any argument here, as I really just want to know what option is best, I can confirm I will be sure to only buy what is approved in Maryland and I will only buy through an active and registered MD FFL.

Host

MDS Supporter
    Feb 27, 2024
    Naptown
    The Black Aces TS12 comes in a left handed version. As long as I use shells over 1200fps I have never had an issue with mine. With light target loads, it is unreliable.
    I'm assuming it stops cycling on lower muzzle velocity or birdshot?

Besides the cartridge pickyness, how do you like it?

I'm assuming it stops cycling on lower muzzle velocity or birdshot?

Besides the cartridge pickyness, how do you like it?
    I have no issues with it, now that I understand the "umph" requirement. I have shot hundreds of rounds since without a hiccup.
    FWIW, a few years back, ToolAA and I did torture tests with several Turknellis and an actual Benelli M4. The actual Benelli had the same issues as my TS12 Bullpup. Recoil spring too stiff?

Host

MDS Supporter
    Feb 27, 2024
    Naptown
    Well decided since it's just a range toy anyways, to pick up one of the imports
    Went with the ATI Bulldog SGA 12. Should be in next week.

Oh, I didn't know you had the bullpup version. I keep looking at that exact one... Does it have the Argo operating system like the regular Turknellis, just in a bullpup form?
    FD12, not sure why I put IWI's designation there...
    No ARGO system. It is a basic spring blowback system.

Attachments

• 20240228_144951.jpg
      20240228_144951.jpg
      303.9 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads