What would be the best Maryland compliant rifle I can buy for under $3000?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Where is the source of this information? For example, the DDM4 PDW is on the Maryland Handgun Roster, and it is legal to purchase in Maryland, even though it is less than 29 inches. To take possession, I would have to register it as an SBR and pay the stamp tax.

What you said seems to be contradictory to this.

Because when you would submit the Form 1 to SBR it , ATF would Disapprove , because it would be in violation of State Law .

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Many thanks.

Coming back to my original question. What would be a decent "pistol" with braces for around $2000? Thanks.
    None. "Decent" pistols are readily available from $300 to $600.

You first must have your HQL, before you are allowed to go shopping.
    (No HQL, nobody can lawfully sell you a pistol)

IMHO, apply for your handgun permit FIRST, then you can obtain the HQL - for free.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Many thanks.

Coming back to my original question. What would be a decent "pistol" with braces for around $2000? Thanks.
    If you want a top-shelf, best money can buy type of rig, then the Daniel Defense rifle Outrider recommended is solid.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    None. "Decent" pistols are readily available from $300 to $600.
    So - does one really NEED to spend $2K to get a reliable HD braced pistol? Not really. I would put my money in the optic, something like the Aimpoint PRO, or perhaps a prism sight that will function w/o battery power.

That DD MK 18 is really nice though.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Ideally, I want something that is
    (a) at the caliber of 556/223, and
    (b) as small as possible.
    (c) under a budget of $3000, the less the better.

Many thanks.
    There are ways to get exactly what you want while being 100% MD compliant. For example, let's say you know someone who built an AR platform with top notch parts. For example, an SOLGW lower receiver was transferred legally through an FFL and marked as other. This enables him/her to build any configuration they like. Lets then hypothesize that the firearm was built with an 11.5" Colt HRT Heavy Barreled fitted to an SOLGW upper receiver and then mounted on the lower.... and just like that you are good. Now lets say he/she wanted to sell the MD legal firearm, the lower could then be transferred through an FFL once again marked as other, and the upper could then be sold separately to you. You wait the 7 days, pick up the lower and then fit the upper of your choice. Or you can just build it yourself....
    IMG_8875.jpeg

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Many thanks.

MKE AP5..... 9mm, cheap to shoot, easy to suppress, hell of a good time.

$1240 AP5
    $359 Retractable Buttstock
    $200 eForm1 tax stamp
    $300-500 Optic
    $600-1000 9mm suppressor

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    If you don't want the muss and fuss of building and/or second guessing your choices along the way-- the DD Mk18 (pistol) fits your requirements and you can't go wrong with DD customer service/warranty (my experience). If you are a vet DD offers a discount on their website (not sure about LEO/1st responder).

I can say that I don't know anyone who owns a Mk18 that regrets the decision. As an aside-- you can convert the Mk18 to be MD legal as an SBR given the appropriate choice in stock selection if you ever wanted to go that route.
    IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom