Where will you be on March 8, 2006 @ 1:00p.m ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Gun day in Annapolis?

Annapolis: MD House hearings: 3/8/2006 at 1:00 p.m.

HB_12 Repeal of Procedure on Shell Casing Information _ Timing of Report on Personalized Handgun Technology

HB_14 Handgun Safety Devices _ Repeal

HB_343 Criminal Lockup Act

HB_405 Gun Shops _ Security Requirements for Regulated Firearms

HB_451 Police Officer Protection Act of 2006

HB_529 Declaration of Rights _ Right to Keep and Bear Arms

HB_660 Criminal Law _ Use of Firearm in Commission of Crime

HB_968 Hunting _ Computer_Assisted Remote Hunting _ Prohibition

HB_1162 Women and Children's Protection Act of 2006

HB_1163 Public Safety _ Handgun Permits _ Repeal of Finding Requirement

HB_1367 Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2006

HB_1369 Public Safety _ Handgun Identification Requirements _ Alternative Means of Compliance

HB_1382 Regulated Firearms _ License Issued by Another State _ Reciprocity.

sl4si

Feb 15, 2006
    Is this a cattle call or a dog and pony show ?

Why I ask this is AGCB JJ said he has taken bus loads of people down in the past years and if we do not control the floor we will never control the vote on RTC i.e. HB 1163

So what can we do different in 2006 that has not been able to succeed in the past years ?
    2005 HB 1211, 2004 SB 137, 2002 SB 33 ?

I am all for get up suite up show up , I did the polar bear plunge for MSI just to get in the Face of MSP and media etc..

What can we do that will make gun bill day not just another gun nut day.

Should we become bold in our speak and demand that this is not about the gun but about civil rights and breaking away from 40 years of arrogance and elitism power and rule.

Me must challenge all legislators who have not co-sponsor hb 1163 and SB 911 and kick it several notches BAM ! to make sure they know election time we will change some seats in Annapolis

I am tired of all the lies and broken promises and the BS about my rights.

What we gonna do ? you tell me , you tell me

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Is this a cattle call or a dog and pony show ?

Michael,

It is neither. It is, unfortunately, a necessary part of both our defense and offense with regards to the general assembly. Is it as effective as a long term goal of replacing the individuals who are currently stifling our efforts to pass Shall-Issue legislation? Of course not....but see what happens the first year that we don't show up in numbers.

However, it is the most effective tool that we have at this time with the current hand that we've been dealt. Numbers speak volumes, even if 75% of those who show up don't bother to testify. Most politicians, excepting Quinter, are pragmatic people who realize that if 250 people show up in opposition to a bill and 4 people show up in support, they are being given a pretty good indication of how votes are going to go at election time.

Nothing...and I mean nothing is going to change the PG and Baltimore City delegation's minds. If anything there is going to be increased resistance as they start getting back into a corner.

Should we become bold in our speak and demand that this is not about the gun but about civil rights and breaking away from 40 years of arrogance and elitism power and rule.

Your enthusiasm is admirable and your anger and frustration are shared by all of us. Are you advocating challenging them in the hearings on these points? If so, you may as well not speak as you will A) Cause more harm than good by getting in a sparring match in public and B) Vallario will shut you down with a rap of the gavel.

We are all in agreement that the best LONG TERM strategy is to work from the ballot box to put in people who will support us in our efforts. But that is not the here and now of it.

Furthermore, Don Dwyer is the single best friend that we have on this matter. If you are going to advocate an effort to sack him, I think that you will find it a hard sell amongst an awful lot of pro-RKBA individuals here in Central MD as he has, at times, been the only voice of open support for us in the General Assembly.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    The hearings are often videotaped by local news stations and NPR. getting aggressive in the hearing room will get you ejected, provide excellent footage for the news to proclaim, "Gun Nuts Invade Annapolis", and it will get Vallario in a pissy mood, thus shutting down our testimony.

You can challenge the evildoers in the legislature, but you have to be polite and somewhat subliminal about it. Make them look like fools, but they only realize it a few minutes after you've testified.

The legislators who are against us will often simply leave the room, which I find to be the biggest slap in the face to ANYBODY who takes a day off of work to be heard by our elected officials. They're being paid to be there; to hear from the people. If we try to "demand" anything it should be that they ALL have to sit through the entire day of testimony just like we have to.

sl4si

Feb 15, 2006
    Good Stuff Guys!,

I am asking and yes pressing, what are we going to do differently or same old same old, that is fine. If that is what we have to do. But asking pro-rtc to get creative and kick up the numbers/ efforts is what I am pushing for.

I like and agree with the subliminal efforts please review and let me know what you think about this t-shirt idea, time is short so if you like it , will show and will help pay for it production I think we can make it happen captain!

talk it over and let me know if this is a green light operation:

printed front and back as large as we can font ???
    ----------
    Obstruction of ONE

Del. Joseph F. Vallario Jr., chairman of the House Judiciary Committee
    where the gun bills are under review, said his committee is waiting to
    see what Frosh is going to do with the gun bills before acting on
    them.
    Vallario said it would be a waste of time for his committee to move
    the legislation forward if Frosh intends to kill the bills by keeping
    them in his drawer and preventing them from coming to a vote in
    committee. He said taking no action this year "is probably a good
    idea."

By Ivan Penn
    Sun Staff
    Originally published March 27, 2003, 9:55 PM EST

-------------------

PS : filler or background info
    "Sword of Damocles
    Neil Quinter threatened to add AWB to any shall-issue bill, and also claimed to have done the research (he's a lawyer and former aid/counsel to Dianne Feinstein) to prove this would meet any challenges based upon the Court of Appeals "single subject" ruling on a bill.

This ruling, BTW, has not been challenged in an RKBA case. This is the Christmas-treeing "Sword of Damocles" that the Assembly leadership holds over us -- and the Republicans -- every year.

Thanks for your reply,
    MP

Jas

Jan 7, 2006
    Dares Beach
    The first time I have ever been to the house was last month with MSI and I do plan to be there agian on the 8th. I do like the tshirt idea not only pushing the message but they would have to take notice of our numbers.

Last edited:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I'll be there again this year. I've sat through about 5 different hearings over the years, so I'll share a few things that I've learned:

Get there early. There's limited seating and you'll want to snag a seat before our opponents do. They DO NOT allow you to stand in the hearing rooms. Wouldn't it be great if pro gun people took up all the seats and the Ceasefire crowd had to wait outside for their turn? :lol2:

Take a small briefcase.

In the briefcase, have a few pens and paper. Also, there is rarely, if ever a formal recess for lunch or dinner, so you may want to through a few snacks in the briefcase and a bottle of water. I'm a diabetic, this is a MUST for me even though the rules state there's to be no food or drink in the hearing rooms. Be discreet.

Dress comfortably. It's usually cold as a witch's ass outside and 100 degrees inside. You'll have to decide where your comfort level is. Heavy winter coats take up a lot of room and the hearing room chairs are very similar to sitting in an airplane; very cramped.

sl4si; I don't want to poke a stick at Vallario. In my opinion he's been very pragmatic about gun bills in the past. He's blocked both good and bad bills based on the amount of support for the bill and what he thinks the chances of the bill's passage are.

Quinter, on the other hand is fair game and should be exposed for the fool that he is. Here's one of my favorite buttons:

Attachments

• QUINTER-garagiola-LIAR.jpg
      QUINTER-garagiola-LIAR.jpg
      28.7 KB · Views: 143

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Jas said:
    The first time I have ever been to the house was last month with MSI and I do plan to be there agian on the 8th. I do like the tshirt idea not only pushing the message but they would have to take notice of our numbers.

We will be able to show our numbers by numerous means:

MSI hats and buttons

The red "Maryland Gun Owners Vote" buttons

If you want to make some stickers for your lapel. I had some made up last year that said, "Who is Gail Gunn and why is she living with Leah Barett's husband?" Got her in such a fit she about blew a gasket. :party29:

I want to repeat....Vallario is no one that we want to piss off. He, nearly single handedly, can decide what bills get moved through the committee. That means he could shut down all good bills and push through Quinter's AWB.....just to get back at us.

An old bear like him is not going to be intimidated nor is he likely to be unseated anytime soon. We can talk about Cas Taylor all we want, but he was from Western MD and Vallario is from PG.

The other delegates are fair game, but I STRONGLY recommend that you leave Vallario out of it. As I think Spot77 mentioned earlier.....poking a stick at a hornet's nest rarely produces positive results.

Jas

Jan 7, 2006
    Dares Beach
    Good points, I have never been to Annapolis during "gun bill day" so I don't know what has been tried to draw attention to ourselves. MP has made some good points on targeting Vallario to me. Hopefully when he checks posts he can give some more info.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Jas said:
    Good points, I have never been to Annapolis during "gun bill day" so I don't know what has been tried to draw attention to ourselves. MP has made some good points on targeting Vallario to me. Hopefully when he checks posts he can give some more info.

I'm all for "tossing the bastards out", but we have to be realistic that Vallario is holding all of the cards at this point. He runs a VERY tight ship in the hearings and is probably one of the best managers of a meeting that I've seen in a long time.

With as many bills as there are to hear that day, we don't want him angry at us before we even get started or we will be wasting a lot of peoples' time.

We are in the best political position that we have been in years. Will anything come of the pro-gun bills this year? Who knows. I'm no expert.....but it seems to me that the last thing that we should do is burn any bridges with the one person we have to go through to get anything done.

Jas

Jan 7, 2006
    Dares Beach
    Point taken. It just seems we have been shut down by this guy before. Is this someone we should be looking at to replace?:innocent0

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Jas said:
    Point taken. It just seems we have been shut down by this guy before. Is this someone we should be looking at to replace?:innocent0

In a perfect world he would be gone and we'd have someone more solid on RKBA issues as chair of the committee. I just don't think it's going to happen.

A big fish doesn't get to be big by being stupid and a politician doesn't get to be as high up as him by leaving himself vulnerable. I'd say that we have a better chance of persuading him than eliminating him. MOFWIW

Jas

Jan 7, 2006
    Dares Beach
    I don't know alot about the delegates stances I'm a "noob" when it comes to talking to delegates and writing letters. What are Vallarios' positions? Is it possible to steer him one way or the other? Is this someone I should concentrate writing and calling on?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Jas said:
    I don't know alot about the delegates stances I'm a "noob" when it comes to talking to delegates and writing letters. What are Vallarios' positions? Is it possible to steer him one way or the other? Is this someone I should concentrate writing and calling on?

Vallario is basically an anti....I mean he represents PG County, right? However he runs a fair hearing and is, though sometimes sarcastic, capable of maintaining a facade of equitable treatment as we present our case.

I doubt that you will be able to change his mind in a meaningful way, but as a PG County resident it is well within your rights and responsibilities to contact him and express your views. He's often times been described as pragmatic, and given enough letters that are cogent, brief and polite he may be more tolerant of our position.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    SENATE BILL 518
    Hearing 2/22 at 1:00 p.m.

Fiscal Note: Not available at this time (1/20/06 @ 11:25 pm)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

None of the Gun/Weapons bills, to have hearings on 3/08/06, have any fiscal notes available at this time.

This fiscal information is needed to have a meaningful hearing!

YOUR THOUGHTS: ??

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I'm going to try to be there. It just so happens I got the day off from work. Is Public Parking at Navy-Marine Corp Stadium Still available?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Lambo said:
    I'm going to try to be there. It just so happens I got the day off from work. Is Public Parking at Navy-Marine Corp Stadium Still available?

Yes. Exit 24 off of Rt 50 and take the trolley in.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads