Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   West Virginia (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   WV Non-Resident CCW Permits Coming Soon (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=256779)

safecracker May 5th, 2021 08:45 AM

WV Non-Resident CCW Permits Coming Soon

Another reason why the Mountain State is THE Gun Rights state. It just keeps getting better!
https://www.thecentersquare.com/west...967995832.html

Occam May 5th, 2021 09:03 AM

Will VA honor the WV NR permit? For now, they honor MD’s permit, but some places are funny about NR permits and reciprocity.

safecracker May 5th, 2021 09:21 AM

Who will recognize it remains to be seen. Oftentimes, it’s a matter of what training is required for the permit. WV does require some basic pistol training to get their permit in order to satisfy reciprocity agreements with other states. The resident permit is good in 39 states; without training, that number would be less than half. That being said, WV is actually doing the permittee a favor by requiring training.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Occam (Post 6309382)
Will VA honor the WV NR permit? For now, they honor MD’s permit, but some places are funny about NR permits and reciprocity.

motorcoachdoug May 5th, 2021 01:08 PM

Well I know what ccw permit that I will be getting next..

press1280 May 11th, 2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by safecracker (Post 6309411)
Who will recognize it remains to be seen. Oftentimes, it’s a matter of what training is required for the permit. WV does require some basic pistol training to get their permit in order to satisfy reciprocity agreements with other states. The resident permit is good in 39 states; without training, that number would be less than half. That being said, WV is actually doing the permittee a favor by requiring training.

The individual state statutes will determine who honors and who doesn't. Handgunlaw has a map where certain states were colored brown indicating they wouldn't honor NR permits. FL,SC,CO, MI and PA are the ones that I know won't honor the NR WV permit as they don't honor any others.

press1280 May 11th, 2021 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Occam (Post 6309382)

VA appears to be good to go as they accept NR permits, so long as you're not a VA resident trying to CC on another state's permit.

press1280 May 11th, 2021 09:55 AM

It will be the same process as residents go through. You'll need to drop off the application and pickup the permit from the sheriff's office. You can apply to ANY county as a non-resident.

I don't know how many (if any) sheriff's offices process a permit same day. My last renewal in Berkeley County took a while (30-45 days). Not sure if that was because of demand or they dedicated less resources to processing after the state went constitutional carry.

johnkn May 11th, 2021 10:05 AM

Seems to me they are positioning for added revenue, I’m not faulting them at all. Currently WV recognizes many, many other state’s permits, both resident and non-resident. If you have FLA, Utah, New Hampshire, etc, you’re good to go in WV.

www.handgunlaw.us

“States that my state honors”

Occam May 11th, 2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnkn (Post 6314378)
Currently WV recognizes many, many other state’s permits, both resident and non-resident. If you have FLA, Utah, New Hampshire, etc, you’re good to go in WV.

You're good to go in WV without ANY permit. It's constitutional carry, now.

The only reason to have a WV permit in hand is so that when you're in a different state that honors it, you're covered there, too. Beyond the reciprocity while in other states, the only reason for a WV resident to have a permit is to enjoy a quicker, less fussy in-state firearm buying experience.

Main point, though: there's really no point talking about which other states WV honors, now. They've decided to honor the Constitution, instead.

motorcoachdoug May 12th, 2021 05:34 AM

Once they start accepting applications for non resident CCW, I will be making a trip to WV. Also I am working on trying to see if there is anyway I can get my Washington State CCW since they will give them to non residents.Only problem is having to be physically their for fingerprinting. I am trying to see if I can find a county sheriff that will accept fingerprinting done by Laurel PD.