• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    The annual Bambi (th)wacking season is just over two weeks out.

I'm getting a late start this year. Blind is dusted off and ready for deployment this weekend. Lanes are cleared. Cameras need to be re-positioned in a few spots. Crossbow is out and ready for some overdue practice shots. Probably going to get a late start going out in the field though, due to a pre-opening day medical procedure involving a number of stitches near a mobile joint. I'd prefer not to rip those out too early. So, I'm looking at being an observer for the first few weeks.

Summer cams suggest a good number of bucks this year on the property with the usual solid complement of does. One of two of last year's big 8 points is back and looking like a nice 10 pointer this year.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I stopped early bow about 25 years ago. I got in my stand early on opening day, and as the sun got up far enough to heat up a little, I had a 250 pound, 6’ spider drop in on me. I never climbed down a 16’ ladder so fast (I think I jumped the bottom 8’) I left my bow hanging in the tree and went to work.

(I may have exaggerated the size of the spider a little, but not much!)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Critical Deer Theory (CDT) in full effect around my way recently.
    We are.....At this time discussing/initiating additional elements to expand likely hood of kill em all strategy as well as determination of if its brown its down technology applications may be needed or need immediately placed into service if/when necessary.
    Block targets have not responded well to multiple contacts and we are not sure what happened to the small stand in the little up front zone at this time.
    A small contingent is however prepared to respond accordingly when multiple wild-land locations may have suffered damage to various access routes-foot corridors due to tropical storms/hurricane activity in the vicinity.
    End of report.... CDT Eastern Out.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Critical Deer Theory (CDT) in full effect around my way recently.
    We are.....At this time discussing/initiating additional elements to expand likely hood of kill em all strategy as well as determination of if its brown its down technology applications may be needed or need immediately placed into service if/when necessary.
    Block targets have not responded well to multiple contacts and we are not sure what happened to the small stand in the little up front zone at this time.
    A small contingent is however prepared to respond accordingly when multiple wild-land locations may have suffered damage to various access routes-foot corridors due to tropical storms/hurricane activity in the vicinity.
    End of report.... CDT Eastern Out.

:thumbsup: :lol:

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Im seeing more little bucks than ever. Have heard a lot of night shooting though over the summer. Had one big guy on camera that disappeared late June. Have 2 more hangons to do but w temps in mid 90s and heat index over 100 it is not happening unless i do it at night. Which might not be a bad idea.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I stopped early bow about 25 years ago. I got in my stand early on opening day, and as the sun got up far enough to heat up a little, I had a 250 pound, 6’ spider drop in on me. I never climbed down a 16’ ladder so fast (I think I jumped the bottom 8’) I left my bow hanging in the tree and went to work.

(I may have exaggerated the size of the spider a little, but not much!)
    I typically find those crawling on the back of my neck 15 minutes into my ride home. It’s unnerving for sure.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    And just like that he comes back. Right where my tree stand will be.
    SH3OyCZ.jpg

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    And just like that he comes back. Right where my tree stand will be.
    SH3OyCZ.jpg

It says 1:50 AM/ Where is he during hunting hours? I get the same problem. Cams pick up deer at night, I go in during the day and the big ones seem to all disappear.

The one time I did have some does come into range of my stand, my dumb self lets my arrow slip off the rest, jangle down my ladder and scare the pack off.

Good luck to all who either go out early, or are lucky enough to get time during rut etc.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    It says 1:50 AM/ Where is he during hunting hours? I get the same problem. Cams pick up deer at night, I go in during the day and the big ones seem to all disappear.

The one time I did have some does come into range of my stand, my dumb self lets my arrow slip off the rest, jangle down my ladder and scare the pack off.

Good luck to all who either go out early, or are lucky enough to get time during rut etc.

Had some daylight hour shots back in June. It will be random luck and me managing to get to the stand and not scare every deer off in the state as i swat mosquitos and remove spider webs from my mouth. And then of course the sweating begins. Doesn't sound very appealing now that I think about it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Cameras, like all other sign, only tell you where a deer was. It's up to the hunter to predict where a particular deer will be.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    I plan on going opening day bow weekend if it's not 90 degrees. Just got the bow out today and was nailing 40 yarders

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Rampant CDT in full effect. Bedding in standing corn and quartering to the magic beans to snack up at dusk.
    One on the four pics is same one.
    Wednesday could be day of doom with a little luck.
    Couple others moving in and out of the cut over behind a hang on/camera location.
    One of them is just like the first pic but with splits on the other side.
    Must be its brother or something.

split right.jpg

j5.jpg

j21.jpg

j4.jpg

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Rampant CDT in full effect. Bedding in standing corn and quartering to the magic beans to snack up at dusk.
    One on the four pics is same one.
    Wednesday could be day of doom with a little luck.
    Couple others moving in and out of the cut over behind a hang on/camera location.
    One of them is just like the first pic but with splits on the other side.
    Must be its brother or something.

View attachment 320345

View attachment 320346

View attachment 320347

View attachment 320348
    Wow. Just, wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member