• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    We came up with a new to us fun shoot to do at my property up WV .
    Think you have a nail driver rifle?
    We put put roofing nails in piece of plywood. Hammer them in just far enough they stay in place.
    Place board with nails at 60 yards. Shoot with 22 until first one drives nail into board wins.
    We also do it at 100 yards with ar’s.
    Fun way to to add friendly competition between friends or just for the fun of it.

We also started shooting bowling pins,not a new idea but fun.
    5 pins at 10 yards on 3’ deepboard. 8 shots. Must knock pin “off “board.
    Any rounds left over from original 8 rounds,shoot at bullseye target.highest total score wins.

We don’nt Time event but limit it to 1 minute per shooter.
    Just some fun stuff to do at range if your able.

Also set up our left over clays,and there are lots of them lol
    At assorted range and plunk away with22’s.. with a jar of tan,,rite hidden behind one for a wow factor as no one knows which clay it’s behind since your not allowed to shoot at surprisetarget you set out.

What do others do for fun shoots?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Man, I could hang with y’all, fer sure!

And, to answer your question, we’ll set up opposing pairs of resetting poppers and 12” squares - one of each for each shooter. Each shooter loads same # of rounds. Audible starts timer upon which engage resettter with one shot and on each hit shoot at square (giving resettle chance to return to full upright) Timer stops upon first bolt to lock open. After the smoke clears and second shooter makes safe we go downrange and count hits on steel. Most often, the shooter who finished their mag first has the most misses (fewest hits on steel). My son shoots his AR faster than the wife does her Winchester .30 cal carbine but, she rarely (very rarely) ever misses!

Also, golf balls at 200 and 300 yards, talk about launching something!

Lastly, steel dueling tree with different color paint on front vs back. Shooters load w same # of rounds and object is to finish with most plates with your opponents color facing up range.

Good fun!

If you have a big group, break em into two groups and secure a 2x4 vertically for each group at base of berm. 1st Group to cut their 2x4 in half wins. Talk about a rattle battle. (Tip: have LOTS of ammo on hand and everyone has got to maintain muzzle discipline / the 180 (holsters or slings almost a must in order for team members to reload mags safely)

Great fun (ammo mfrs love the last one!)

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    We have done a a bunch of 22 games:
    Hang a rock from a string- shoot the string, not the rock. One of my favorites and the most frustrating
    Paintballs
    Gumballs
    Coins glued to or set up against a board at 75 yards. (see my avatar) I was shooting a 17 HMR and 22.
    Chalk..
    and other stuff that I cant think of now.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    We have done a a bunch of 22 games:
    Hang a rock from a string- shoot the string, not the rock. One of my favorites and the most frustrating
    Paintballs
    Gumballs
    Coins glued to or set up against a board at 75 yards. (see my avatar) I was shooting a 17 HMR and 22.
    Chalk..
    and other stuff that I cant think of now.

I’ve got a variation on the coins. I cut a saw blade width groove down a board about 1/2” deep then put Necco wafers in the groove. Put 5 on each side of a 2’ long board, whoever clears their side first wins. 75 yards is a good challenge, 100 even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    One of the most interesting games I have read about recently is an event a local club puts on a few times a year (I’ll have to try and find the link later). It’s a rimfire safari, you setup animal crackers and try “hunting” them from different distances. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet but I’m taking my Model 60 next time I go to the rifle range to give it a try

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    My daughter and I do sidewalk chalk at 100 yds with 22's first to hit it! We also do 20 clays out of the electric flinger. Most hits win. 22 and 12 gauge on that one.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Went to the range with a couple “shooters”. Both retired military. Both having spent much time, money and effort to be great shooters.

One of the fellas is a ret Col Airborne. He brought a dozen eggs in a foam container. Each egg had a 16” string hot glued to it.

He hung one egg on each of our 100 yd target frames. Challenge accepted. Interesting thing was there was a 5-7mph cross breeze.

Having vanquished our 100 yd eggs and finished our 100 yd business, we changed to 300 yd targets. Our resident Ranger hung the rest of the eggs on the 300 yd frames.

Long story short, with the same cross breeze, we took out those damned eggs.

The eggs are clearly organic. Didn’t harm the range. We recovered the strings. We had a great time.

There’s something extra fun about actually seeing your intended target “explode.” There’s some degree of pride whacking a gently moving target that size at that distance.

I used my 308 Remmy.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’ve got a variation on the coins. I cut a saw blade width groove down a board about 1/2” deep then put Necco wafers in the groove. Put 5 on each side of a 2’ long board, whoever clears their side first wins. 75 yards is a good challenge, 100 even better.

And bio degradable targets.

And CHEAP.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Man, I need to find some property to shoot on. I’m stuck with paper when I go with my dad. Steel is fun when I go to peacemaker. All these games sound fun tho.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my one bil has a 375 h&h magnum. so, we went water buffalo hunting! set up a series of milk jugs filled with water, from 100yds all the way to 15yds or so. we shoot from far to near to simulate the buffalo charging.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Like the eggs...golf balls or tennis balls hanging from strings is a fun shoot. Hit one dead on and it winds around the board it's tied to, hit it again and sometimes it unwinds.

Dirty_Civilian

Apr 12, 2018
    Here
    My sons and I finish up range trips with the 5 shot $5 challenge. The best 5 shot group from 25 yards with a 22 wins $5. Sometimes they let me win.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    There are two sides of the shooting equation. Have you thought about what position you are shooting from. Practice your positional shooting skills at these targets (Off hand, sitting, kneeling, etc.) Try shooting off different barricades or objects like a ladder, a bucket, or build yourself a tank trap. Get yourself off the bench.

81387943_224185948590890_824021648302869726_n.jpg

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Man, I need to find some property to shoot on. I’m stuck with paper when I go with my dad. Steel is fun when I go to peacemaker. All these games sound fun tho.

Plenty of shooting target games out there. I've seen battleship, darts, etc at different retailers over the years.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Depends upon where you shoot. You’re allowed to shoot fruit/eggs/milk jugs with water, etc. at AGC as long as you clean up your stuff afterwords.
    I shoot Necco wafers all of the time there with a .22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Melnic when head of nail is flush with board,consider it driven.
    I like the game of shooting coins, that will definetlly be part of our April trip. I can see us trying to hit them at 200’ with our ar 10’s.
    Animal cracker safari, now that sounds challangeing and can see us taking it to a new level with our 308’s at 2-300 yards.

Keep the games coming. Love to hear what others do for fun at the range

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom