• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I've got a wounded 2-3yr old deer in my pack. Looks like it was hit by a car a few months ago. Scars on its side and back all healed up. Result appears to be a lame rear leg, swollen knee joint (guessing point of impact). Doesn't put any weight on it. It's skinny, but made it through the winter and coming to my feeder. Best thing to just leave it be? I know how resilient they can be. If I see it in decline, will DNR do anything? Don't want to resort to SSS. Now that I've refilled the feeder, I hope it will fatten up a bit and get healthy enough to make it another winter.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    We had a deer years ago that had a leg that just flopped around, my guess is a hunter shot it's leg bone in half and it survived. One of my guys killed it a year later looking healthy. I've shot them before where they had old wounds from accidents, and looked as you described the joints. I asked butcher and he said all good, just scared tissue. If they made it through the season, see how they do, i bet it'll survive.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    As long as there is no open wound and infection, it will probably be fine. I winged one with a muzzle loader in the front leg 3 years ago. It made it and it's still hopping around. I've yet to catch her in season, but my cameras get her.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    If you notify DNR they will come out and remove the deer. State law prohibits civilians from possessing deer (even to care for). They may take it to a vet or they may put it down. Their call. Good luck.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    If you notify DNR they will come out and remove the deer. State law prohibits civilians from possessing deer (even to care for). They may take it to a vet or they may put it down. Their call. Good luck.

He is not possessing the deer. There is no law against OP feeding the deer. The deer will probably be fine, as Doctor M said if it’s not suffering, just leave it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom