• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have a friend who is pretty high up
    In the BCPS head office. I know that he and his colleagues had been working 12-16hr days 7 days a week to try and figure out how to get instruction to students. Blaming the superintendent for canceling the prom is really misplaced IMO. Everyone could sense that this was likely going to happen. If they waited two weeks that would probably be more irresponsible.

He also has a daughter who is a senior and she is devastated the her senior activities like prom and graduation are canceled. The hurt he feels as a father is the same as the OP. However they know it’s the right thing to do.

Children are resilient they will adapt to the impact of COVID19 better than most adults.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have a friend who is pretty high up
    In the BCPS head office. I know that he and his colleagues had been working 12-16hr days 7 days a week to try and figure out how to get instruction to students. Blaming the superintendent for canceling the prom is really misplaced IMO. Everyone could sense that this was likely going to happen. If they waited two weeks that would probably be more irresponsible.

He also has a daughter who is a senior and she is devastated the her senior activities like prom and graduation are canceled. The hurt he feels as a father is the same as the OP. However they know it’s the right thing to do.

Children are resilient they will adapt to the impact of COVID19 better than most adults.

My point EXACTLY, they should have made these decisions a while ago.
    I figured all the events would be cancelled and told my kids accordingly. They are prepared. My son didn't give a crap about the prom, but wanted to walk the stage. I think he is more disappointed that his Court of Honor is postponed.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You know, I read an OP like this and I realize, people are still not taking this seriously. Who thinks a bunch of teenagers on a crowded dance floor is a good idea? This is not going away by May, people, we will still have some social distancing guidelines in 4 or 6 weeks. People might be allowed back to work, but I doubt crowded dance floors will be a thing for a while. Especially because people are not taking it seriously today.

You know, I read an OP like this and I realize, people are still not taking this seriously. Who thinks a bunch of teenagers on a crowded dance floor is a good idea? This is not going away by May, people, we will still have some social distancing guidelines in 4 or 6 weeks. People might be allowed back to work, but I doubt crowded dance floors will be a thing for a while. Especially because people are not taking it seriously today.

THIS ^^^^

Drove by the parking areas at the Gunpowder yesterday on my way home from servicing a client's equipment and they were at capacity. People hiking and congregating ignoring social distancing guidelines. Also seeing pics on facebook of people in Dorchester county at fishing holes at Blackwater fishing for snakeheads standing shoulder to shoulder with total disregard for their own health and the health of anyone they come into contact with. There are some A holes out there that still think this virus is no worse than the common cold or flu....

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    He's being a realist. Some states are already pushing into June with the lockdowns. Be glad he's doing it early before everyone has already spent hundreds on dresses and tickets and limos.

Personally I never went to prom and never looked back. Overrated.

I went to 2 proms. I skipped my junior prom, but went to my senior and the following year, my lady-friend's senior prom.

Maybe it's different for girls, but once I was entrenched in the next phase of life, most everything high school was "meh." Commencement is the exception, and it sucks, but I don't blame the superintendent.

Damed if you do, damed if you don't. Do it and people get sick - "he should have known better" and with the modern judicial lottery, I would bet he'd be sued if someone got sick and/or died. Be safe and cancel - "he's a gutless killjoy."

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If not having a dance is "devastating" high five for giving them a great life with no actual problems.

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    When people complain about the "me me me" generation(s)... and their seemingly complete disregard for others; their spoiled, self-absorbed perspective of the world (which of course revolves around them and them alone).... Well, gee I wonder where it comes from. It comes from great parenting as evidenced by the OP.

Adults are out of work. Adults are wondering how they're going to pay the rent and put food on the table for their families. People that are recovering or have recovered from serious illnesses (like cancer) are scared to death to leave their homes or get near anyone. Adults that live in the real world are on the front lines putting themselves at risk in their attempts to save others. Thank you nurses, EMTs, doctors, etc.... And oh yeah, people are actually DYING. SO SORRY YOU"RE GOING TO MISS PROM! Guess we should divert all resources to make sure that can happen for you and your daughter. Maybe your super is a douche....don't know and don't care. But take a look in the mirror. Keep armchair quarterbacking like the rest of the population that doesn't have to do anything about this besides complain about whatever is or is not happening. Get a clue and have some perspective. I only hope for your daughters sake that prom and a graduation ceremony don't define the rest of her life.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    My daughter lives in NYC. Stop crying about a minor disappointment and teach your kids that life is a rollercoaster.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Sounds like a great learning opportunity about what is important in life.

Did anyone really think prom was still going to happen? :shrug:

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Well, prom and graduation I can deal with... Right now, despite saving TONS of money in a "targeted" 2020 date 529 plans, we are seeing significant drops. My daughter so wants to go to Purdue and become an engineer. She worked her ass off, putting off social stuff, boys, and general shenanigans to have the BEST grades and right activities.

We HAD just enough to send her OOS, and now we don't. Which means loans loans loans and further assistance from us when we already pumped a bunch of our hard earned money in.... And Purdue is relatively cheap. Wisconsin wanted $212,000 as did Texas A&M.

She got decent money from Delaware and Ohio State but its NOT where she wants to go.... We are worried about her. No prom, no graduation (likely), and now going to college somewhere she REALLY wanted to, may not happen. Lets suppose we suck it up and send her anyway.... What if they close the school and do distance learning instead? The whole premise of Purdue is how to approach education as a collaborative process rather than isolating and judging everyone individually (yea they still get graded on their own but they also get graded for their collaboration effort). So not even really getting that freshman year away from home, doing what they want, when they want to, all part of the growing up and away from the parents.

The level of suckiness is undeniable. And it goes beyond just HS stuff. It's life changing.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo

This. I'm surprised it took this long for a school system to start canceling senior activities. The chance of physical classes resuming this school year is pretty slim. If it isn't safe to have hundreds of kids spread throughout a building it isn't safe to have them packed in a ballroom or at a commencement ceremony.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Never went to prom and all a HS graduation certificate qualifies you for is a minimum wage job.

I'm making my kids do diaries so they can reflect back on this years from now.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Prom is a waste of money. I went to two and hated them. Graduation was boring as hell too. Unless they were the first to graduate from high school, pretty much everyone I went to school with was pissed that we had to be there for all the pomp and circumstance, especially given that your actual diploma isn't handed to you on stage anymore, you get a rolled up piece of plain paper that says something to the effect of "congrats" and your diploma is mailed to you.

Neither of these would have bothered me in 1998 when I graduated high school and none of them would bother me as a father now.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    No surprise they canceled. It's the safe thing to do the kids will survive and be fine. Anyone who believes large gatherings are going to happen before September maybe next year are delusional.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I am not a parent, so take this with a grain of salt, but I am an uncle to 10 nieces and nephews, so I am not totally aloof in this area...

Kudos to the OP for caring that two events in your daughter's young life are not going to happen. From my own perspective (I was in the National Honor Society and was voted Most Likely to Succeed in my senior class), I would have been happy to skip both graduation and senior prom. They were fun, but the memories for me probably lasted less than a week. Very small points on a long road.

This pandemic is going to impact all of our lives, and for many the impacts will be horrific. For the high school and college aged kids, the pandemic is better than any example we can conjure up that life won’t always go as planned, and that having the ability to adapt and move forward are key skills that every person would benefit from having. Perhaps they won’t end up at their first choice of a college; but by next fall, being alive to attend college will be a privilege that we don’t take for granted, as perhaps we may do now.

Prayers for all of your health and safety, as we weather what is still going to be a long road. God Bless each and every one of you and your families.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom