• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I have a pair of Chippewa steel toe 6” Cibolas. Hands-down the most comfortable pair of steel toes I’ve ever worn. They made me a believer in spending more for quality footwear.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Save them for when you need to climb? Want to wear Hunting/ Hiking boots?

Are you going to have to put them on real quick before you have to do a pole top rescue or get somebody down?

What if a pole rolls of the dinky and onto your foot or some dummy moves the truck when your putting the chock out?

Look at a Hall's or Harlan catalogue and pick out a good pair of Line Boots designed for the industry that meet ASTM F 2413-18 standards. You might have to kick something out of the way one day on the job or some jerk in the shins when your getting loaded after work.

Take your contractor ID or company ID to a Redwing store for the cash discount and save your clothing allowance $ for some nice FR.

Very specific needs and specialized workwear. Absolutely. OSHA not require a steel toe all the time?

Hansum

Feb 14, 2019
    I'm not a lineman but I do work on extension ladders on utility poles daily. I wear red wings 5 days a week and have 2+ years on this pair. I don't do anything to maintain them. They're still in good shape and comfortable and the only thing I've replaced is shoelaces. That said, I would recommend checking out Keen. I have a pair of their hot weather boots and the toebox is heavenly. Also, I highly recommend going by red wings or a running store to get your feet measured and get a good off the shelf orthotic if you haven't already. Night and day difference for me.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    What's your budget?

No real budget. Company reimbursed anything $250 and under. So anything over that would be out of my pocket which wouldn’t be too big if a deal. But obviously if I could get a great pair completely paid for that would be ideal. Already got $250 towards my Halls, so I had to pay $80 out of pocket for them

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I have a pair of irish setters.
    6 years old, they are used 6 to 7 days a week 8 to 16 hours a day,steel toes, I walk in coal muck and concrete and asphalt most of that time.. rain/snow/cold water and hot..

I polish them once or twice a month and water proof the seams after to polish..

Great boots and when I need new ones I will buy the same or pay a little more and get red wings..( although red wings warrant is not as good as it once was)
    The difference in price is maybe $75 to $100 bucks.

Good insoles and good boot strings. Real good cushion socks.. Gold Toe.

The best money I ever spent.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    I'm not a lineman but I do work on extension ladders on utility poles daily. I wear red wings 5 days a week and have 2+ years on this pair. I don't do anything to maintain them. They're still in good shape and comfortable and the only thing I've replaced is shoelaces. That said, I would recommend checking out Keen. I have a pair of their hot weather boots and the toebox is heavenly. Also, I highly recommend going by red wings or a running store to get your feet measured and get a good off the shelf orthotic if you haven't already. Night and day difference for me.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

My first pair of line boots was red wings and I loved them....as long as I didn’t have to climb. On the ground they were great but as soon as I was in hooks my feet were killing me. That being said I’m looking for something without a logger style this time around. Wedge sole or just something not so drastic between the heel and ball of the foot. Wasn’t sure how the rest of redwings matched up but the one pair I had were great.

I have a pair of irish setters.
    6 years old, they are used 6 to 7 days a week 8 to 16 hours a day,steel toes, I walk in coal muck and concrete and asphalt most of that time.. rain/snow/cold water and hot..

I polish them once or twice a month and water proof the seams after to polish..

Great boots and when I need new ones I will buy the same or pay a little more and get red wings..( although red wings warrant is not as good as it once was)
    The difference in price is maybe $75 to $100 bucks.

Good insoles and good boot strings. Real good cushion socks.. Gold Toe.

The best money I ever spent.

I think you just pushed me further towards the Irish setters. That long life with hours similar to mine, that’s money well spent regardless of price. Do you happen to know which Irish setters they are?

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    I recommend the Red Wing Model 2233 8” work boot. I purchased a pair twenty years ago. They used to carry them is the stores. Now they are special order, I found that out when I tried to buy another pair. The newer pair gets most of the use now. I still have the first pair that I wear around the house when there is rough dirt work that needs to be done. The steel toe has more than paid for itself over the years.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Another vote to check out Red Wing. The last pair of work boots I had from there were the most comfortable I've ever had and they lasted 5 years. My cowboy boots are from there and are 19 years old. Still comfortable although they need to be resoled.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Thorogoods are damn good boots. Union made and made in the USA.

This!

Thorogoods beat everything you listed, and anything others have suggested, IMHO. Super comfortable, and 100 percent made in the USA, even the laces.
    I don’t care for the inserts that come in them, but that’s easily replaced.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    This!

Thorogoods beat everything you listed, and anything others have suggested, IMHO. Super comfortable, and 100 percent made in the USA, even the laces.

Yeah I think I’m going to go with a pair of Thorogoods. Seems every brand is going to that off-white sole that I wasn’t too fond of but it’s growing on me. The maxwear sole seems to get great reviews.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    I had a pair of Red Wings with a Vibram sole last for 25 years. I probably walked at least 2000 miles in them.

VulgarDisplay

Feb 25, 2019
    St. Marys
    This!

Certain styles of Danner are also American made. I've had 4 different pair of Danners, 3 American made and one foreign made. The American made ones were extremely comfortable and lasted years. The foreign ones lasted 5 months before they were worn out.

I've also had 2 different pairs of Thorogoods. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Yeah I think I’m going to go with a pair of Thorogoods. Seems every brand is going to that off-white sole that I wasn’t too fond of but it’s growing on me. The maxwear sole seems to get great reviews.

If you spend any amount of time in the dirt or mud, those white soles will turn tan.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I recommend the Red Wing Model 2233 8” work boot. I purchased a pair twenty years ago. They used to carry them is the stores. Now they are special order, I found that out when I tried to buy another pair. The newer pair gets most of the use now. I still have the first pair that I wear around the house when there is rough dirt work that needs to be done. The steel toe has more than paid for itself over the years.

I tried to buy some Redwing fire boots. Their retail stores are useless. I didn't know which size/width I would need so I asked them to order in the two closest sizes in both widths. The store manager started ringing up $1200 worth of boots and told me that the only way to get them to the store would be to pay for them and return the ones I don't need. Oh, and there is a 25% re-stocking fee for the ones I would return.....

Redwing is nothing but a name at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom