• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hubbarddanny

Oct 4, 2013
    Severn
    I am trying to see if I can utilize UTM training ammunition in my backyard and not have the cops called on me. Can someone PLEASE refer me to any State/Federal Law that says what I can or cannot do?

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    You aren't going to find a law dealing specifically with training ammo. If it involves a real firearm and a powder charge/primer most counties would treat it as discharge of a firearm. If you can shoot real ammo on your property then you are fine. If you can't, you'll face charges eventually even if they end up getting tossed or you get found not guilty.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    well utm ammo doesn't use gunpowder. the projectile travels at 385 fps and is used in LE/Military force on force training.

In that case I'd talk to an attorney to see what legal issues it could cause. Personally, I wouldn't risk it in a setting where neighbors and/or passerbys could see/hear what is going on.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just curious, why do you want to shoot SIMS rounds in your backyard for? They have no marksmanship value, and are expensive.
    You going to purchase all the gear so you and s friend can shoot at each other?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    You are discharging a firearm, even with sims. I don't think it will go well unless you have enough land to be able to shoot standard rounds on your place.

Curious as to how rounds are getting to 385fps with no gunpowder. Must be really light and have a serious primer in them.

That said, firearm is usually defined as something that propels a round by combustion so even if it is just a big primer, that is combustion and so no different than a standard round.

hubbarddanny

Oct 4, 2013
    Severn
    Just curious, why do you want to shoot SIMS rounds in your backyard for? They have no marksmanship value, and are expensive.
    You going to purchase all the gear so you and s friend can shoot at each other?

Actually UTM has marksmanship value. Better than dry fire. SIMS are crap by the way(different product). And really with UTM you need a barrel, ammo, and eye pro with loose fitting clothes. But to truly answer your question, it's a business idea.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Actually UTM has marksmanship value. Better than dry fire. SIMS are crap by the way(different product). And really with UTM you need a barrel, ammo, and eye pro with loose fitting clothes. But to truly answer your question, it's a business idea.
    Different product, same idea.

hubbarddanny

Oct 4, 2013
    Severn
    You are discharging a firearm, even with sims. I don't think it will go well unless you have enough land to be able to shoot standard rounds on your place.

Curious as to how rounds are getting to 385fps with no gunpowder. Must be really light and have a serious primer in them.

That said, firearm is usually defined as something that propels a round by combustion so even if it is just a big primer, that is combustion and so no different than a standard round.

They use a dual primer system. Look up www.utmworldwide.com the technology is pretty cool

hubbarddanny

Oct 4, 2013
    Severn
    What's your experience and training if you're looking into a business?

Do the do's. Don't do the don'ts.

13 yrs USAF Security Forces (AF MP) / Combat Arms (Firearms Instructor 2006-2013 active duty and 2014-Present GS Civilian), NRA Basic Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun/Home Firearms Safety Instructor, MD HQL/Wear & Carry Instructor, UTM Instructor, Protective Services Training Academy(PSTA) Instructor (Now defunct) Firearms and Basic security instructor.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    I don't think that is going to be a "start it in my backyard" business in this state. My guess is the county will make you jump through some of the same hoops as a range if you want to do it as a business. See if the manufacturer has reps that will present to county councils and zoning boards, reach out to local and state PDs to see if it is the type of thing they would partner with you to do, talk to some pro gun state and county reps (there are some), etc.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There was a security company (who used to be an IP(industry partner) here) ran SIMS training at their facility in Odenton. They didn't get much business with that.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Dry-fire has huge amounts of value, and is a much better plan than this simunitions thing. If you want to keep yourself honest, buy a MantisX.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Dry-fire has huge amounts of value, and is a much better plan than this simunitions thing. If you want to keep yourself honest, buy a MantisX.

SIMS is for shooting force on force tactics/shooting scenario training. It's not meant for perfecting your marksmanship.

Dry fire is dry fire. 2 different things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom